Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanid Kingdom was founded by the Khanid family royal heir after he refused to commit ritual suicide?

Author Topic: DayZ: Zombie Survival FPS?  (Read 970 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
DayZ: Zombie Survival FPS?
« on: 09 May 2012, 17:54 »

Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is Day Z - This is your story.

DayZ is a mod for Arma II.  Just read about it today on Kotaku.  Anyone had a go at it yet?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: DayZ: Zombie Survival FPS?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2012, 07:37 »

PC Gamer has an article about this today: "For the love of PC gaming, download Day Z" 

The article is probably so named because the writer is a fan of "emergent gameplay, making you feel vulnerable and powerful, decision making, managing supplies, and tense teamwork". 

Why play?  "In short: it’s scary as hell, full of stealth and surprise, you can’t trust anyone, roleplaying is effortless, and you might save the life of someone that sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger."

Sounds even better than I thought at first, but I'd still have to buy Arma II to try it out.  Anyone with the game already taken a look at this?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2012, 12:37 »

A friend of mine plays Arma and its mods, it has one of the most badly optimized engines in the business.

The maps are big, the communication tools are good and the realism bit is very good as well.

You just need a top tier computer to run it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2012, 20:14 »

It's not that bad.

As for this mod, will have to investigate. An occassional ARMAII player myself.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2012, 13:00 »

Some interesting new content in a serialized report/review on RPS:

To make sense of our experiences, and my stories, I have to outline the difference between the two types of characters. At the heart of Day Z lies the break between the survivors and the bandits. Everyone starts out as a survivor, alone on a beach. Kill “innocent” survivor characters, and you become a bandit, a murderer. Prey only on those who have already fallen, and you keep your appearance as a survivor. Watching newbies getting dragged into the ruthless bandit mindset is a glimpse into real banditry. Many Day Z players will kill strangers on sight. Lose your humanity to repeated murders, and you get a new skin which to all intents and purposes is a ‘shoot me on sight’ sign above your head. And I can totally see how this was supposed to go: Bandits would become outcasts, survivors would treat them as worse-than-zombie scum, and you’d get a nice dynamic faction split. Lovely and neat. But in my experience it doesn’t play out like that. To new players in this incredibly hostile world, bandits seem capable, hardy, maybe even a little glamorous. You start seeing groups roaming around comprised of maybe one or two bandits, tooled up with assault rifles, NV goggles, maps, GPS, more food than they can eat and so on, and they’ll be followed by two or three new survivors, who seem to be learning a dark trade from these grizzled warriors. That’s how it was for me anyway…
« Last Edit: 14 May 2012, 13:04 by Ken »

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2012, 13:17 »

I've been reading the RPS two-parter and I have to say I'm intrigued. It does sound like it might be something I'd enjoy.

Arma II might be something of a barrier to entry for me. I have the original Arma, but it didn't engage me enough to want to buy a sequel. I found it fiddly, frustrating and difficult to get in to.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2012, 17:36 »

When my new mobo gets here, I'm going to DROWN myself in this shit.  :D

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!