Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raiders are part of an ancient cultist faction called Sani Sabik, which first appeared on Amarr Prime thousands of years ago? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Community  (Read 3958 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: The Community
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2013, 11:52 »

If your drama creates fourteen backstage pages of drama, the problem isn't the community.
Well, there is that.

Re: the OP, Backstage was lagely created because of a weird kind of RP Community Gatekeeper Schism.  Not going into any of that shit here; my point is that our idea in 2010 was a Community Resource with no gates to be kept.  The interested would come, the uninterested wouldn't, and friendship with X, Y or Z Eve Player was not a requirement for entry.

In the real world, there will always be cliques, some larger and more influential than others.  We try to keep clique influence out of Backstage; Silver, Morwen, Ghost, Jek and Ciarante have done such a tearjerkingly great job of keeping this thing on the rails...

Anyway, yeah, I hope none of the perceived Gatekeeper shit is happening here. I've always believed that there IS an overarching Community that encompasses all of our smaller communities.  Minnie FW FC talks to Amarr FW FC to schedule big fight, or to meet up for an impromptu battle... Community at work.  We don't have to be bosom buddies to be a part of the same community, especially one with only one barrier to entry (that being, you must be interested in RP in some way, else why would you be here anyway?)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2013, 11:58 »

I have never flown a Scorpion with guns on it in my life, let alone lasers. :|

In your case, without seeing the logs, I think given the perception of Aduro (admittedly, largely due to Siig being... weird), the frothing from the Tengu pilot didn't have much to do with you RPing at him, it was probably just icing on the cake and served as "yet another excuse" to mouth off.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2013, 11:59 »

Gatekeeping is occuring ingame, mostly, away from the eyes of everybody. Either in private where harassment happens the most, or either on various ingame channels/venues.

Backstage is pretty clean.

Anslol

« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2013, 12:00 »

I have never flown a Scorpion with guns on it in my life, let alone lasers. :|

In your case, without seeing the logs, I think given the perception of Aduro (admittedly, largely due to Siig being... weird), the frothing from the Tengu pilot didn't have much to do with you RPing at him, it was probably just icing on the cake and served as "yet another excuse" to mouth off.

Well I mean that's what we were talking about before though, RPing in local/nul and seeing reactions. I was just putting my example out there. I giggled at the Tengu.

Also...maybe I flew the laser scorp...someone did.

Della Monk

• Clonejack
« Reply #34 on: 01 Jun 2013, 05:54 »

I don't about this being THE community. Like another poster said, it's more of an entry level place for RP for new people (gotta start somewhere). Kind of like a starter corp....kind of.

As someone yet to contruct my own roleplaying 'sphere', I think this is a pretty critical point. It's the largest cross-section of EVE RP in game, so if you're looking around for people who mesh with your style, that's where you present yourself essentially. But it's like the D back in City of Heroes: plenty of places to lurk and soliloquize from, or to witness spectacles of roleplaying started and concluded elsewhere, but actually forming/joining groups was a crapshoot because people didn't reach out to eachother.
I'm kind of losing my point here, sorry. Even if it isn't monolithic, the most visible community, and its treatment of people, does flavor the well so to speak.
Doesn't mean don't reach out and draw from that well, new player or old, but I wouldn't discount what's being put back into it.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jun 2013, 06:54 »

Having just started playing EVE (May 6 I believe is the start date), I am still slowly getting involved with RP with people.  It has been slow going for a couple of reasons...and these are merely my perception of the situation.  One, I am the newcomer in what appears to be a fairly established group of gamers and therefore I feel like I do need to prove myself in some way.  Not saying that I have to prove that I'm a good RP'er...I've been role-playing for 20 years in different formats, but what I see, and it holds true with the other groups I have joined...there is history that I have no knowledge about and at times I do feel like I'm butting into something so I sit back and watch and try to pick spots where I can attempt to interact with people.
The second reason is more a personality issue...I am by nature very shy and have a hard time putting myself out there.  That is something I have to work on and why I am cautious with what I say or do IC.
Now, the idea of starting up my own community of role-players could mitigate some of these factors, however that is the crux of the issue.  If you're coming into an established gaming community like EVE (or just the Summit for that matter) and you don't know anyone and are hesitant to approach people just out of the blue, trying to create your own group won't work cause you'll be on your own.
I understand the sentiment of playing with the people you want to play with, but that doesn't work in the vastness of EVE or other MMOs or tabletop gaming.  Just because I get along with a small group and want to play with them, I cannot expect them to devote their time to playing with me...they have other people they're probably involved with or don't have the time at the moment, whatever.
That all said, I have enjoyed my time in EVE and have not felt like I was being hedged out because I'm the newcomer.  It could be that I got lucky, but you've all been a swell bunch of people and pretty welcoming.  :cube:
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jun 2013, 14:29 »

I'm going to go for a different approach on the matter. I don't think there is A Community (agreeing with many posting here), but a lot of different kinds of communities, with different levels of interaction. Basically, any IC channel (and some OOC) with steady amount of people (not necessarily the same) will turn into a community of it's own. It doesn't have to go along racial/faction lines as Louella pointed out, but indeed it often does. But I believe it relates to closure, so there would be four kinds of communities:

-Closed communities: a settle group of players, often being the same, with specific traits that make them appropriate. An IC RP channel for members of a corp is a good example of this, but it can also be any IC channel with password, or set list of blocked/allowed people for other reasons (for example, let's imagine someone's house always has people in it, it would turn into a closed community but not along corp lines, but all being bond by friendship to the house owner).

-Semi-closed communities: semi closed communities are those that anyone can theoretically access, but in the end catter to the same people always and have heavy moderation in place. A public corporation IC channel is one such example, but also heavy faction-only channels (like the chapel).

-Semi-open: these are the other side of the coin from the ones before, channels open to anyone and with a big allowance to people coming and going. Still, a more or less stable community has developed around them, and though they don't block anyone's access, it may require some time to know the protocols, who's who, etc. A classical bar channel would be an example of this.

-Open: finally, those open to all, with little to no moderation, where everyone is allowed. The Summit is the best example of this, of course, but not the only one (Live Events, OOC, the one Silas had created as an experiment, etc.). They have a open theme with little details, so the effort of entering the arena is much smaller, mostly requiring people just to be IC and a few more things (like the slave issue in The Summit). Other than that, almost everything is game.

With this in mind, I believe each and every one of those are separate communities, though a player often belongs to a lot of them and quite often they will overlap. One can be in his closed corp IC channel, at the same time in the public version of it and also on a couple loyalist-only to their faction, then a few bars they like, and finally the Summit.

So there is no The Community: players that may be important in one may mean nothing in another, for example, like rules of what is fair or not, what is allowed (big difference, for example, is it a physical place?), etc. There are dozens of communities interacting along the lines of players moving from one to another, bringing the baggage their characters have been developing, and interacting with others like balls on a pool game.

If there was to be A Community, the only one I can think of is out of the game: IGS, as it is the only central hub for RPers, with no equivalent. And, even there, lots of awesome RPers don't post or rarely do so, players who may be very important in other spheres. So I, personally, would only consider IGS the biggest Open Community of all, but just one more among many.

As for gates, sure that The Summit and IGS are some big ones, but not the only ones. A corp recruitment channel can surely be also someone's gateway (was mine, together with the Amarr faction channel which, back then, was quite full of RPers), specially to newer pilots that are looking for somewhere to fit both in RP and also game-wise. And I'm sure many other doors exist (like a bar, for example, for a publicized event in IGS that may draw curious or interested people in RP).
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2013, 14:31 by Sepherim »

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jun 2013, 14:40 »

Having just started playing EVE (May 6 I believe is the start date), I am still slowly getting involved with RP with people.  It has been slow going for a couple of reasons...and these are merely my perception of the situation.  One, I am the newcomer in what appears to be a fairly established group of gamers and therefore I feel like I do need to prove myself in some way.  Not saying that I have to prove that I'm a good RP'er...

I don't think there's so much a established group of gamers to which you have to prove anything (certainly not!) but that there are more vocal players than others, and they may seem like a established group. But I've entered twice into the RP arena and I can tell you it's quite a more open structure (read my previous post) and most people will only ask of you not to derp too much. ;)

In the end, what RPers want more than anything, is people to RP with. :D

I've been role-playing for 20 years in different formats, but what I see, and it holds true with the other groups I have joined...there is history that I have no knowledge about and at times I do feel like I'm butting into something so I sit back and watch and try to pick spots where I can attempt to interact with people.

There are dozens of histories there, one for each player. But why would butting into something be bad? You're a new player, but you also are a new pilot ICly, so it would be reasonable that you didn't know all those things. I had to learn them twice, and it's a big deal of the fun to just take everything wrong and mistake, or ask complicated questions that get people into unconfortable places, or whatever.  :twisted:

The second reason is more a personality issue...I am by nature very shy and have a hard time putting myself out there.  That is something I have to work on and why I am cautious with what I say or do IC.

On this battle, you are on your own, I'm afraid. :(

Now, the idea of starting up my own community of role-players could mitigate some of these factors, however that is the crux of the issue.  If you're coming into an established gaming community like EVE (or just the Summit for that matter) and you don't know anyone and are hesitant to approach people just out of the blue, trying to create your own group won't work cause you'll be on your own.
I understand the sentiment of playing with the people you want to play with, but that doesn't work in the vastness of EVE or other MMOs or tabletop gaming.  Just because I get along with a small group and want to play with them, I cannot expect them to devote their time to playing with me...they have other people they're probably involved with or don't have the time at the moment, whatever.

One thing that's nice about EVE RP is that you don't have to walk to the nearby tavern to RP like in most MMOs, so why would they have to choose between your company and that of others when they can be in both channels at the same time? If you want to create a community, go ahead! I created my original corp when I was more or less one week into the game, sure I made a lot of mistakes (some very severe!), but it was fun, and a small community did come out from there, one that grew and did things along time. So go ahead, if it'll help you, create your own special community!

And if the problem is coming out of the blue, then count me in. You got one already ;)

That all said, I have enjoyed my time in EVE and have not felt like I was being hedged out because I'm the newcomer.  It could be that I got lucky, but you've all been a swell bunch of people and pretty welcoming.  :cube:

Actually, I think most of the comunity is pretty welcoming (except Vincent, who hates everyone! :PPP), except the dangerous bitter vets who are around hunting for fresh flesh. ;) So don't worry if you make a mistake or anything, just go along, enjoy and have fun... and avoid bitter vets!
Pages: 1 2 [3]