Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Rust ( Sandbox Survival PVP )  (Read 1366 times)

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
Rust ( Sandbox Survival PVP )
« on: 15 Dec 2013, 12:42 »

I have been playing this for a few days now, and feel I've gotta share it by now because wow what an experience with this game I've had for such an early alpha.

http://playrust.com/about/

To make the obligatory comparison, the dev team (Facepunch Studios, also responsible for Garry's Mod) have described it as "inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker."

There's numerous servers already, some official (with capacity for hundreds of players) and many private, with ranges of 10-50+ online. The map is quite large, I think it's larger than Day Z but don't quote me on that, though they're certainly comparable.

In comparison with other sandbox builder games Rust is quite light in content, although still incredibly early in its development, but has one of the strongest and most well executed concepts I have seen in a long time.

Some highlights of my time with the game ...

• Trying to find friend in the middle of the night, found his camp but led a bear back home
• A naked guy found our camp, we gave him pants and directions and sent him on his way
• Built a fort near an irradiated town, went out for supplies and returned to find an intruder in our home - we won after a brief firefight, but began to quickly reinforce
• Left and returned to find (presumably the same) intruder having blown out the front of my building with explosives, and barricaded himself inside our old main fort
• Set up shop in the hills, out of sight, and began making explosives
• Returned to the old fort with intentions to raid it, but found someone else had beat me there

And more. I've got five or so pals on my server now, and we've built an apartment style building in a cranny in a mountainside, but it was recently (partly) breached, although one friend thinks he knows who it was and where they've set up from ... IT'S WAR !!!!!!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Rust ( Sandbox Survival PVP )
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2013, 13:12 »

saw that pop up on the steam store.

read a few comments about people being upset that someone stole all their stuff while they were asleep, i.e. logged out. Build a hut, wake up absolutely naked sort of thing. Apparently there's an option on servers for "sleepers", which means logged off characters remain in-game, and official ones have it turned on.

Looks like it's very amusing if you have the time to dedicate to it.

Also, naked cavemen, lolwhat.
\o/

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2013, 13:35 »

Haha yes, we play on a Sleeper server too, where your body simply falls over where you log out and can be killed.

Your inventory is dropped upon death, but you will remember any schematics learned on that server. Items you find can be reverse engineered using a Research Kit along with paper.

It can be fun as a weekend game too, but yeah, seems like anywhere and everywhere on the map can be stumbled upon and no fortification is truly impenetrable, so every time you log in is like "Hey, let's see if it's all still standing."

And rofl yes, plenty of bald naked cavemen. I have my own theory for what's going on in the backstory here; clone-reject battle royale.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2013, 20:26 »

This looks interesting. Does anyone have any ideas about what its minimum reqs are? (Or alternately, can give performance ratings for given comp settings)
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Dreygun

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2013, 20:31 »

at very least it sounds like a fun game to play while waiting for Dayz standalone to come out.
I thought what I would do was pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:18 »

I'm not to familiar with DayZ and its mechanics; does it include some kind of crafting / building mechanic as well?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2013, 12:07 »

That sounds really cool. If only FHC hadn't gotten blocked at work (Our company firewall is pretty absurd, it recently added all of Reddit to the block list for "Reason: Mixed Content/Potentially Adult") I think there was a thread there that I hadn't bothered reading.

The Rust website is of course blocked for being about games.

@Esna, I don't think DayZ is as much about crafting as it is about gathering stuff. You find weapons and vehicles laying around, gather them, stash them somewhere when you're offline, raid other people's stockpiles, etc. The stories that result can be pretty hilarious.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2013, 12:08 by Victoria Stecker »

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2013, 13:06 »

Day Z doesn't quite have the fort-building concept of Rust, which is a huge part of the game. Despite all Rust servers being on the same map right now, they all develop differently due to the player structures that spring up all over the place - some inhabited, and some already raided or abandoned by the time you find them.

Victoria's quite right in saying it's the player interactions that make these games shine, though. I've seen some complaints that the game is not single player, but it would be a very dull game without other people.

Esna, here's the system reqs as given by Steam, though it doesn't specify video hardware quality. I'm more-or-less running on the minimum setup (Radeon HD 6800-series), but it runs just fine on medium rendering quality and looks quite gorgeous too.

[Spoiler=Rust, System Requirements]Minimum:
Processor: 2 ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0
Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: 3 ghz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space[/spoiler]

Last night was possibly the most fun I've had with the game yet, after most of our small army logged off actually (we have like seven people in total, ha).

A friend was wandering in a field near our base at sundown, butt naked save for a pipe shotgun, and noticed people had taken up residence in a previously abandoned and unfinished 3-story building. I was nearby in full gear, so I met with him and we called a third friend to come down from our base to supply us with what we needed to break in.

As we were waiting, my friend and I did a headcount on people inside (you can sometimes see through cracks in wood panels to see inside buildings) and noticed there were two of them. While doing this, one of them notices us outside and the other runs to the roof to try and get a shot off at us.

After a brief firefight as we dance around the building trying to keep them from getting a vantage point on their open stairway, with nobody getting hit, our third friend finally shows up. Two of us whip out our hatchets and start bashing down the wooden door, while the third takes up a position where he can shoot them if they try to get us. One guy does poke his head out, but our third gives us the much needed suppressing fire to keep them both contained.

Bam! Bam! BAM! The door finally caves in, and our two victims run to the upper level of their building. We creep in and check for sleeping bags - spawn points for players - and hack them down before moving up the stairway. It's suddenly very quiet.

Tink ... tink ... tink ... I see something fall beside me in the staircase. "GRENADE!" I shout into comms, and rush to get behind a door on the second floor. KABOOM! I'm bleeding and nearly dead, so I stitch myself up with one of my few bandages and medkit. We take up positions at the doorway, watching out the window to make sure they don't try to make a jump off the roof and run for it.

Another grenade comes down, then another, and another. None of them connect with us. "How many grenades to they have?" We ask, and another comes down the stairway. Then it's quiet again.

We poke our heads out and look up. Nothing. We form up, shotguns ready, and sneak up to the third room. BLAM! BLAM! Each was armed with a pistol, but it was over quickly at that point. They had nowhere else to go since jumping down would have surely broken their legs, causing bleeding and immobility, and it looks like they hadn't really finished setting up, but their inventories were filled with ammo and gunpowder. We pat ourselves on the back, loot up, and run back to base as the sun begins to rise.

And I realized that as exciting and dangerous it seemed for us (my heart was pounding like it does during the most tense moments of EVE) it must have been absolutely terrifying for the two that we cornered inside of a player structure. I begin to wonder what their comms sounded like as we began bashing down their door, and how coordinated their strategy was, if at all.

After that, we decided we were still bloodthirsty and knew about a few other places to visit ... so we make some explosive charges, for blasting down metal doors, and set out. After hitting up three more places, two of which included firefights vs armed targets—one group returned home while we were still there, luckily I heard their footsteps in their entrance level—we return to base with full inventories and big smiles.

Eventually our base will be raided, despite how well hidden it is and how many spike traps we have. It's just a matter of time. And I won't even be mad.

e; spelling and details
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2013, 13:38 by Safai »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2013, 14:00 »

That sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to give it a look once the spring semester starts again.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2013, 16:28 »

For sure. It's probably worth reiterating that Rust is still quite light in actual content—a handful of different guns, three ammo types, four weapon mods, two materials to build structures from, and every animal drops chicken meat—but seems to be very well executed in concept.

I'm terribly excited to see how this game develops.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2013, 18:30 »

Interesting. But constantly having everything you've built up obliterated or stolen would get a bit tedious after a while for me.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2013, 19:19 »

Really...that's a comment I would not have expected from an EVE player. :lol:
I was actually about to comment that it's like EVE: The Dark Ages
-OOChé

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2013, 21:34 »

It sounds like a Minmatar playground, but Ava would vehemently disagree (and blow up my Breacher for even suggesting it).
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2013, 07:19 »

In Eve there are more scales and degrees of (relative) safety.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2013, 13:35 »

My roommate's gf was listening to us play this the other night, and commented that it sounded "like Lord of the Flies in there," which is pretty apt.