Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Eleutherian Guard, a capsuleer organisation, is a semi-independent paramilitary unit that answers to the Federal Security Council?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [Fanfest] Lore Roundtable  (Read 11290 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
[Fanfest] Lore Roundtable
« on: 14 May 2014, 15:14 »

Apologies for Mittani link but a necessary evil sometimes..

http://themittani.com/features/fanfest-2014-lore-roundtable

Of particular note:

"Abraxas said that the focus is shifting away from a driving storyline and more towards developing background and the setting, highlighting themes and using the major personages of the Eve universe to showcase them. Another part of this thrust is developing a formalized style guide for Eve writers, which has evidently been overlooked. This seems to indicate that the meta-plot will become more static, similar to how it was prior to the lead up to the Empyrean Age."

So yea.  CCP to NPC Plot:

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: [Fanfest] Lore Roundtable
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2014, 15:25 »

That's a good thing, yes?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2014, 15:26 »

If you are a fan of the faction story lines then no, not really. 

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2014, 15:29 »

What I mean is, it's implied that goes back to the pre-Empyrean War style. Which was better, I thought.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2014, 15:34 »

What I mean is, it's implied that goes back to the pre-Empyrean War style. Which was better, I thought.

Ah, yes.

If that's what they are going for then that would be great, I think they do not mean that, though.  If anything the NPC lor-story was even more important/woven into the game before EA.   

It looks like most of the people into that sort of thing aren't with the organization anymore or are doing other things, and they have little interest in using resources to drive 'plot.'  Capsuleers are the focus, so the Empires will be getting their shafting and fading away focus wise.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2014, 21:30 »

Ah, yes.

If that's what they are going for then that would be great, I think they do not mean that, though.  If anything the NPC lor-story was even more important/woven into the game before EA.   

It looks like most of the people into that sort of thing aren't with the organization anymore or are doing other things, and they have little interest in using resources to drive 'plot.'  Capsuleers are the focus, so the Empires will be getting their shafting and fading away focus wise.

Mmm-hmm. The meta-plot was "static" in that there were no massive shifts in the political landscape of the universe going on - no colossal wars breaking out, no factions reappearing from the darkness for revenge, no titans falling on planets amidst a huge battle, etc.

On the other hand, the universe was anything but dynamic in that there were numerous arcs going on that did produce changes in the universe. The Amarr Emperor trials, the Crielere project, the Insorum imbroglio - while the results of many of these came with caveats that preserved the larger status quo, they were undeniable events in the universe's history - and that's before we get into things that did have an identifiable ingame effect, like the Blood Raiders getting run out of the Bleaks.

When I read Abraxas' statement, my fear is that even the 'background noise' events which defined the pre-Empyrean Age era - let alone the news stories which didn't even relate to ingame events but still helped build the universe - will be neglected entirely.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Desiderya

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2014, 22:19 »

Tasty Angst.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Fleshing out the background with little things might be much more productive than epic shifting events, such as the empyrean war and all that 'changes over downtime' style of things. I mean, a metaplot can be good or really bad, too. It all comes down to how things are getting handled. Was the Caldari Prime storyline ~really~ that great and moved things forward? It was nice, yes, but that's about it. We had some events (which, due to PR things, will probably not get shelved), and some writing around it. But in the end it came down to reading news articles. It's not like anything has really changed in the world. :)
I guess Malkalen is repaired now cause they can. But if you look closely, that is an example that was given with the content tools, so more small ~actual~ changes like this could be much more productive than the background noise story no one can interact with.
In the end they're going to focus on "This is EVE, craft your own story", which is legit, I guess?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2014, 23:33 »

Tasty Angst.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Fleshing out the background with little things might be much more productive than epic shifting events, such as the empyrean war and all that 'changes over downtime' style of things. I mean, a metaplot can be good or really bad, too. It all comes down to how things are getting handled. Was the Caldari Prime storyline ~really~ that great and moved things forward? It was nice, yes, but that's about it. We had some events (which, due to PR things, will probably not get shelved), and some writing around it. But in the end it came down to reading news articles. It's not like anything has really changed in the world. :)
I guess Malkalen is repaired now cause they can. But if you look closely, that is an example that was given with the content tools, so more small ~actual~ changes like this could be much more productive than the background noise story no one can interact with.
In the end they're going to focus on "This is EVE, craft your own story", which is legit, I guess?

It's all legit, but I'm acknowledging a difference between ye olden days when NPC things often involved players and plots were advanced at a reasonable pace.   The gears were turning in the NPC world and the capsuleers occasionally got to influence things.

It appears the gears are stopping, and the only advancing will be between groups of capsuleers.

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 08:46 »

That much is obvious, but it doesn't necessarily translate to nothing ever happens in the NPC world.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2014, 09:47 »

Being in US TZ, I don't really care about live events. I mean, I like them? They do, after all, make the world slightly more accessible to people who aren't engaged with the RP community. For me, I like seeing in-world news, as it provides texture and activity to what is otherwise a static, dead thing.

Hell, even the Gecko release could've stood some story. A couple of news articles, and voila! Lots of shiny Guristas fluff.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2014, 10:30 »

What Makoto said.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2014, 10:56 »

Being in US TZ, I don't really care about live events. I mean, I like them? They do, after all, make the world slightly more accessible to people who aren't engaged with the RP community. For me, I like seeing in-world news, as it provides texture and activity to what is otherwise a static, dead thing.

Hell, even the Gecko release could've stood some story. A couple of news articles, and voila! Lots of shiny Guristas fluff.

+9000 tbh

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2014, 12:23 »

Well, this is kind of a good excuse to double my efforts to get ANN off the ground again.

Rather than complaining about this, maybe we should try discussing what we can do to mitigate/work around it? Promoting and continuing to build on some of the player-written fluff and lore might be a good start.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2014, 12:33 »

Hm. True. The only issue I have with trying to spin events, though, is that if you guess wrong on CCP's path, then you'll look foolish.  :oops:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2014, 12:45 »

/self criticism

Well at least we will sure see less people complaining about their faction being butchered.

/self criticism

But to me it is pretty much the confirmation that the lore has indeed become a vassal of liege lord marketing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6