Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You could create 5,000+ AU Deepsafe spots from the galaxy map before it was removed?

Author Topic: A daft idea  (Read 926 times)

Zsaryna Adrelana

• Clonejack
A daft idea
« on: 01 Nov 2013, 00:52 »

I have a question for the group, and an idea.
The question: Is the C-Gene (The biological marker for Capsule compatibility) an actual gene that can be passed through families?

The idea: My idea is that Z's niece tests positive for the C-Gene. The kid's twelve years old and about to go into the Cadets. Obviously the kid isn't a capsuleer yet and I have no plans to make Z's niece a capsuleer, however I was thinking that Z could introduce her niece to some Capsuleers to see if it's a lifestyle that the kid wants to try out.

My questions are as follows:
Does this idea sound like a massive steaming pile of derp?
Would anyone be interested in getting involved?

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
Re: A daft idea
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2013, 01:10 »

To my understanding, there's a bit more to Capsule compatibility then just genetics. Rather, it's a mix of genetics, intellectual fortitude, and a reasonable bit of luck. Though money can probably circumvent these to some extent, considering all the world leaders are Capsuleers, which wouldn't be that likely otherwise.

But regardless, lots of people do the "Capsuleer family" thing already, so I'd say just go for it.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2013, 07:08 »

Along those lines, if capsuleer compatibility is determined by genetics, and we've been told people can genetically modify themselves for purposes of appearance, couldn't you technically genetically alter a baseliner to be capsuleer compatible?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2013, 08:28 »

Along those lines, if capsuleer compatibility is determined by genetics, and we've been told people can genetically modify themselves for purposes of appearance, couldn't you technically genetically alter a baseliner to be capsuleer compatible?

SHUSH don't ask those sorts of questions!

We don't know the extent of genetic engineering available in New Eden, I don't think? Maybe they can do small edits but capsuleer compatability is a bridge too far?

As Gwen stated, it's a rare combination of meeting many hurdles:

Genetic compatability
Mental  toughness for the training regimin
Roll of the dice 'luck' of not being mindlocked

So even lots of 'compatable' people still fail, and a not insignificant % of those that are compatible never wake up after the first time they are plugged in

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2013, 14:11 »

I've gone with a version of this in my backstory.

Arnulf has a half brother, Asvard, who is also a pilot. Having sired two pilots the Republic decided that his father's genes were worth keeping out of harms way. So Papa Ogunkoya got promoted from senior NCO to, eventually, captain and shifted back from frontline duty to a Fleet station security gig more compatible with a stable family life.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2013, 14:31 »

I don't remember in which old chronicle/story it was written (maybe the Wetgrave or just the infamous outdated Chromeaux) but it was stated that capsuleer compatibility is not genetically related, as siblings do not seem to show sign of compatibility where one can and the others not so much, although it is speculated that since genetics are still involved then having a sibling with compatibility increases your chances.

Also, since genetics are involved, some corporations have tried to do some research and try to modify people genetically to create capsuleers en masse, but apparently that doesnt work that way and they failed.

Something along those lines.