Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do not feed the internet trolls  (Read 2753 times)

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
Re: Do not feed the internet trolls
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2013, 12:20 »

Actually, I'm not too sure. See, the problem with victim-blaming is presuming the precondition exists and that some day someone will take advantage of it. Sure humans are arseholes, but victim-blaming presumes that doing whatever the victim is doing will innevitably lead to an attacker attacking, when it's completley the attackers fault (and a bit of society values enabling them, let's not forget)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, denizens of the ether, but real life is nothing like teh interwebs. The internet is not a good representation of humanity - the internet is the worst... and rarely the best.

I'm very open about who I am in RL. I know that humanity isn't as bad as my paranoia tends to jump at. However, even I will watch what I give on the internet. That shits scary. Some people troll and harrass people to fucking death on here.

It's a tough line. I don't believe security and privacy can be protected or should be, on the web. Its openess and transparency is what makes it so amazing. But, we're still in the post-proto days. The internet is still wild and I for one, don't trust it.  :psyccp:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2013, 12:31 »

its why there's only 1 pic in the "show yourself" thread that's me, lol. I could be anyone in that out-of-focus pic, lol.
\o/

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2013, 13:08 »

See, good bloody point Louella!

I don't mind the internet knowing what I look like, because I'm fucking gorgeous and fabulous looking. I don't have my address or phone number online, but if you fancied coming to Edinburgh to try and find me, there'd be a lot of people between me and you, internet.

I have no doubt some elements of the internet are resourceful enough to eventually locate me, but the cost of those resources will never be met once they've found out how epic I am in the flesh. Hell, they might even think it was worth it to come find me.  :oops:

Still no phone number or address being posted. Don't trust teh interwebs  :P

Vikarion

« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2013, 19:06 »

I have no doubt that I've pissed some people off, but enough to try to track me down? I doubt it.

In any case, trying to come after someone is relatively foolish - they're on their home ground, with lots of potential allies - and, oh, right, it's illegal. I figure that it's more likely that you'll get hit by lightning than that someone will take the trouble.

That said, while I generally loathe people boasting about how they would wipe the floor with anyone, I am generally of the build and disposition to have less to fear from aggression. So perhaps my lack of worry is a result of my general situation.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2013, 20:07 »

I have no doubt that I've pissed some people off, but enough to try to track me down? I doubt it.

In any case, trying to come after someone is relatively foolish - they're on their home ground, with lots of potential allies - and, oh, right, it's illegal. I figure that it's more likely that you'll get hit by lightning than that someone will take the trouble.

That said, while I generally loathe people boasting about how they would wipe the floor with anyone, I am generally of the build and disposition to have less to fear from aggression. So perhaps my lack of worry is a result of my general situation.

For better or worse, we live in a world these days where physical disposition matters much less than a litigious person or someone with a weapon.

If more kids in my city weren't so scared to get an ass beating now and then we wouldn't have so many dead teenagers from shootings.

Off topic though, the OP by CCP was victim-blaming by 10 miles.

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:13 »

For better or worse, we live in a world these days where physical disposition matters much less than a litigious person or someone with a weapon.

If more kids in my city weren't so scared to get an ass beating now and then we wouldn't have so many dead teenagers from shootings.

Off topic though, the OP by CCP was victim-blaming by 10 miles.

I know I'm supposed to worry about it. I just don't.

I think I'm probably pretty traceable - and, in context, I'd note that people are generally pretty open about such things. People have told me where they live without a second thought, and without me asking. So while I think that CCP is victim-blaming, some victims are less than wise. I don't like saying things like that, but, for example, although I have the right not to be scammed, I still will be if I reply to those nice nigerian princes so desperate for a bank account to transfer funds into.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2013, 23:28 »

The selective quoting of the snippet does sensationalise the actual content of the blog post. At the end of the day, you dictate what information about yourself is revealed online, and control what people can find out about you, it's your responsibility in that regard.

That doesn't justify the actions of some people (which at no point did the article attempt to do) who use that information for abuse, but it does ask a very valid question of "What did you expect?" While we'd love to put our fingers in our ears, and close our eyes and "la la la" at the top of our voices, the truth is the internet is a barren waste of utterly degenerate shit and pond scum and those people exist to merely piss on your lawn, because they can.

While people would rather wish they didn't exist, and that we could talk freely on the internet without repercussion, the blog serves as a bleak reminder that they do, and that we all must tread softly and carry a big gun. Yes it sucks, but the first step to overcoming a problem is admitting it exists.

Pity that a lot of people that believe people should be free to say what they like about themselves without being afraid of trolls are often the same people who kick up a fuss when governments encourage the police to prosecute over internet trolling.

Furthermore, any GM has to work to company guidelines, rules and restrictions. Telling someone they didn't do their job is a very strange accusation when in fact what you expected them to do instead would be them operating outside of their parameters.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2013, 23:55 »

Furthermore, any GM has to work to company guidelines, rules and restrictions. Telling someone they didn't do their job is a very strange accusation when in fact what you expected them to do instead would be them operating outside of their parameters.

I know, right?

I have to admit I am left wondering how many of the people posting in this thread actually bothered to read the entire original blogpost/article (either here on her website, or here on gamasutra), and not just the emasculated version Kotaku portrayed it as.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:58 »

I don't have the time to parse every source for every journalistic article I stumble upon, unfortunately. I mostly reacted to what Kotaku wrote, and now having read it, apparently they hurt the original article more than they actually help it.
Pages: 1 [2]