Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Wolves of Pator rescued and freed 5,000 slaves as a wedding gift for Evanda Char?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Everyone Vs. Everyone - Disconnect from Core Gameplay  (Read 3552 times)

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle

Hey Folks,

I'm finding a problem with my experience in EvE.  Especially in the way that CCP is taking the game.

I don't like combat.

I have tried it many times over in my time in EVE, PvE and PvP.  It holds no interest for me.  I guess I'm more the Star Trek kinda guy (and yes, I tried STO...that's just another "shoot everything" game as well).  Exploration and "let's see what's out there" has been more my speed (and I don't mean the "oh look, a hidden site for me to kill MORE people!" way).

I've said it before, CEMPS is kinda my last ditch effort to get involved in EVE.  I am greatly invested in the lore, but I can honestly say I hate the gameplay.  If I'm not willing to fire a shot, then I'm reduced to mining for the first year of my career to get the ISK to do anything else.

I need help, I'm not sure what to do here, or whether there's anything that can be done.  I've talked to a few of you, but now I'm opening it up to the rest of you.

Help.

Lyn Farel

Re: Everyone Vs. Everyone - Disconnect from Core Gameplay
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:27 »

I guess trade or industry is not your thing ?

Or finding a wormhole corp where you can play a more exploration oriented role (probing, whatever) to assist your corpmates ?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:29 »

Trading is certainly one way to earn initial capital.  Mining would also work.

Scamming would work to raise your first big ISKies.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:38 »

Scamming?

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :evil:

mmm....pardon....

I've been looking into trade for some time, as well as industry.  Trade comes down to me not having enough time to "doitrite", Industry is amazingly inactive, and both leave me with the feeling that I'm paying 15 a month for a big chat room.

Edit (more thoughts):  I learned to RP here, and I'm starting to think I'm worse off for it.  There is no hope in EVE Lore, it's all Grimdark...which may not have been the best choice for the depressed teen.  The game mechanics, should I decide to, I could learn.  I've just got to have a reason to, that'll catch my passion.  The Grimdark in the PF and then the basic FU to the PF in general has really shaken my passion for the world.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2012, 07:43 by Techie Kanenald »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:42 »

Well, its a hard choice really, combat will happen either you want it or not, even if you try your best to avoid it, it will eventually find you.

Not because you go out with a combat fitted ship, but because the entirety of the game is violent bloodthirsty and cruel.....

I would say tha the first 10million or so is earned doing the career agents + circle agents + newbie epic arc, sadly you will shoot plenty of NPCs in the way and would most likely be required to train skills that are related to fighting using a destroyer or cruiser.

From then on you can move onto industry, but establishing a full operation requires starting capital, most likely you can use buy/sell orders to acquire minerals on top of the ones you mine yourself and use BPCs to get the flow of isk going, but eventually you will need to buy and research your first BPO.

Courier and hauling could be another choice, but if you are hauling valuable stuff then your ships is a juicy target for ganks, and therefore combat will invariably find you.

Exploration is a nice path, but most if not all exploration content requires some form of combat, so either bring some allies or be prepared to fight yourself....

Since EvE is everyone vs everyone, and the simplest form of it is weapon vs weapon, 80% of the game content out there is designed to help you get used to those mechanics.....not sure what i can recommend, but if anything, get the career map here

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:44 »

Well, its a hard choice really, combat will happen either you want it or not, even if you try your best to avoid it, it will eventually find you.

Not because you go out with a combat fitted ship, but because the entirety of the game is violent bloodthirsty and cruel....

That's my problem with the game, perfectly.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:56 »

Scamming?

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :evil:

mmm....pardon....

I've been looking into trade for some time, as well as industry.  Trade comes down to me not having enough time to "doitrite", Industry is amazingly inactive, and both leave me with the feeling that I'm paying 15 a month for a big chat room.

Hey, Scamming is a perfectly viable way of earning money in internet spaceships. ;)

So.  You don't want to do combat of any kind, that's fair, but you really do have to be prepared for combat happening to you.  That's what EVE is.  You don't always have a safe haven to operate in, in total seclusion.

Have you considered exploration?  If you don't want something as passive as trading or industry is, it's probably the next best thing.  You'd still be doing PvE combat but at least its more interesting and involved then rescuing the damsel for the 100th time.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2012, 08:18 »

Seconding trade - it really doesn't take time to 'do it right' though if you want expertly optimized trade, I would avoid eve trade altogether - you;re still in competition with wily, well equipped and tenacious opponents, just with an interface facilitating that conflict 'less directly'.  Optimal output, therefore, is unlikely.

There is exploration content that requires no pve, but this is the least rewarding (and most accessible), which ironically makes it over farmed, hard to find and unimpressive.  Good sites in null and low will almost always require pve, unless you go for ninja mining (gas or ore).  Becoming some form of junker/'rogue trader' in the cluster could be fine, if you intersperse your days with rp on top.

As for grim darkness - that is what sells unfortunately.  On the flip side, I consider it the 'marketing material' and by no means indicative of the realities.  People live, grow up, have kids, grow old and pass on in eve as in other fiction-worlds and life.  I assume with all of the heart ache, fond memories and such.  Like people who only ever watch war-news, frontlines documentaries or disaster coverage, we capsuleers are force fed the very worst, and perpetrate a lot, of the cluster.  It doesn't need to be like this, but I prefer the joys and good days of rp to be shared in small groups of friends - broadcasting your joy on a public outlet just seems a little out of place (I rp caldari if you didn't guess...). 

As a brief example, Ael has fired maybe on two occasions, both storyline missions, and only then to win favour with her patron megacorporation during her Sukuuvesta citizenship application.  Since then she has funded, directly or indirectly, Caldari war efforts as well as start up companies, mostly from the comfort of her freighter, office or homestead.  Grim darkness is there, I'm in the arms business with a personal axe to grind after all, but a lot of the time is business, lounging with friends and talking of 'the good old days'.  She's a creature of comfort, has been of means from a young age and likes to 'share the wealth' albeit in the form of entertaining her guests instead of wasteful philanthropy. 

EVE will always have the aspect of conflict, but you can skirt it's edges, providing social commentary, enabling it or whatever you feel like doing, but as a non-combatant you will be taking the 'hard road' for acceptance and brotherhood in a community of hardened killers, mercenaries and idealists who feel that though the pen may be mightier than the sword, a pen with a bayonet attachment is mightier still. 

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2012, 08:58 »

I gave it a second thought, and come out with an alternative to what you are looking for.

There are courier and Mining missions too, those involve next to nothing in PvE, but could give you a way to create interaction with others...

You can become a frontstore for special items doing buying and selling plus shipping within empire space, or even low-sec, and your personal goal would be to become the absolute king of "avoiding pvp"  :bear:

Say you find a market to sell cheap implants in the middle of faction war zones, then your goal would be to RP and work the way up to become a good hauler and seller of such items, with minimal loss, your heart will pump adrenaline every time you land on a gate and see a bunch of pirates waiting for prey, would you be able to evade them with your superbly fitted ship? or have some bad luck today?

People would come to you to seek the best hauler in unsafe zones, what about it?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:14 »

Only problem with hauling contracts is that people are idiots about it.  "Here, I need 7billion ISK hauled in one trip.  Please put up that level of collateral.  We will pay you 1 million ISK upon successful completion."

even if they aren't pirates, the risk does not match the reward.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:21 »

Only problem with hauling contracts is that people are idiots about it.  "Here, I need 7billion ISK hauled in one trip.  Please put up that level of collateral.  We will pay you 1 million ISK upon successful completion."

even if they aren't pirates, the risk does not match the reward.

Also RFF and subsidiaries offer rates that are so competitive, I will buy from the brand rather than the little guy. 

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:28 »

Frustrating spot to be in Techie  :|

With enough startup capitol, you can make some decent isk on the market, but it's slow and slightly unpredictable.

Other than that... yeah, this is internet spaceships. And if you don't like flying the spaceships, there's not much to do. I can point you toward a number of people (including me) who quit and are much happier for it.

Also, while EVE RP may remain one of my favorite things, you can take the RP you learn here and take it to most any other game. The only thing that sets EVE apart from other games is the depth of relationship that you tend to develop because of the amount of time spent doing nothing.

tbh, it sounds like you've been playing eve for a while and realized that you don't actually enjoy the game.

What other games do you enjoy?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:34 »

Quote from: Steckers
The only thing that sets EVE apart from other games is the depth of relationship that you tend to develop because of the amount of time spent doing nothing.

Not quite true.  There is also the focus on player interaction, which frankly doesn't exist in non-sandbox MMO's.  I know, I've tried.

There is also the fact that the single shard server makes sure that every RPer is in the same phase and part of the same storyline.  One shard, one story.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:46 »

Quote from: Steckers
The only thing that sets EVE apart from other games is the depth of relationship that you tend to develop because of the amount of time spent doing nothing.

Not quite true.  There is also the focus on player interaction, which frankly doesn't exist in non-sandbox MMO's.  I know, I've tried.

There is also the fact that the single shard server makes sure that every RPer is in the same phase and part of the same storyline.  One shard, one story.

ADDENDUM: Assuming members of said community are not afflicted with such stark cognitive dissonance as to drink their IC koolaid OOCly.

But agreed on both points assuming 'perfect/functional community'.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:03 »

Hmm... perhaps then it is the inability to do anything meaningful without working with other players that is the curse and also the drug.
Pages: [1] 2 3