Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SF Fiction!  (Read 2610 times)

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
SF Fiction!
« on: 09 May 2011, 10:06 »

I’m not sure if there’s been a similar thread like this or not…

But since I’m new here, I’m going to start one.

Chime in, give a mention and recommendation for some of your favorite SF books, TV shows and movies. How do they mesh with EVE Universe? How have they influences how you view the game and play the game?

Books: I’m a bibliophile. I read a LOT. While I could mention a ton of different influences, I’m going to recommend a small five book series by Stephen R Donaldson. It’s called the “Gap” series and the first book is entitled “The Real Story.” It’s harsh, it’s dark and it would dovetail into the EVE Universe with very few changes.

TV/Movies. Again, there’s a lot to mention. A personal favorite that “feels” like EVE is Babylon 5. Amarr = Centauri. Minmatar = Narn. Jovians = Vorlons, etc.

Games: Ok, I didn’t mention games above, but this deserves a mention. I haven’t heard any admission of guilt from CCP, but EVE is the closest game I’ve seen to one of the original SF RPGs, “Traveller.” All the different aspects of interstellar exploration, war, politics…it’s all here in EVE.

Ok. Discuss!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: SF Fiction!
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2011, 11:21 »

I've read far to many sci-fi series to list here, but I'm currently chewing my way through David Weber (though Timothy Zahn will forever remain a favorite, no matter what 'verse he writes in). Not entirely sure how well either of those mesh with EVE, given as David Weber tends toward harder Sci-Fi (though In Fury Born/Path of the Fury sometimes vaguely reminds me of EVE).

As for movies/TV series... yes, B5 is awesome, and B5 is EVE in TV form. I also watched the newBSG (at least until they decided dramatic scenes and plot twists trumped any sort of logic), Farscape, all 6 Star Wars movies and several iterations of Star Trek; the latter two have mostly left me with an overwhelming urge to debate Star Trek vs. Star Wars tech, a level of nerdiness which cannot be described, only discovered. I will admit, though, that there are times where I see character/storyline archetypes present in EVE integrated into Star Trek, albeit only in some of the later TNG / DS9.

Finally, Warhammer 40,000. Oh, WH40K... quite possibly one of the most massive sci-fi universes out there (although how much it is sci-fi and how much fantasy is up for debate), and in my opinion one of the best-meshing matches to the EVE-O universe, mainly because of the massive proliferation of factions and sub-factions available to play match-up with. Also, plentiful source of distilled awesome and distilled nightmare fuel, frequently at the same time.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2011, 11:38 »

Books

Pandora Star (Hamilton), Modified Carbon/Taskeshi Kovacs (R Morgan), with their universes centered around cloning and the data saving of each brain in cortical storage devices. Takeshi Kovacs also have a "Ancients" background built around the old vanished space faring species of the Martians.

Spin State (Chris Moriarty), very messy story, with a LOT of hard science (around quantum physics), but a lot of awesome and original themes in there. A lot of developpement revolving around AIs and virtual stuff, with a bipolitical and dark UN background (much like a dark CONCORD, quite like in Takeshi Kovacs, very cynical and dystopia). I loved it, though a lot of people were just "meh" about it.

Dune of course. Very contemporary themes still inside. Several geopolitical influences are directly found in Eve.

A lot of other stuff I suppose, but I can't remember everything.

Animes

Lain. Period. Not very evish because its our world, but the informorph themes are here. Very hard to follow at the beginning though.

Games

Deus Ex makes me feel caldari.

Homeworld makes me feel how poor eve is graphically and immersion wise.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2011, 11:40 by Lyn Farel »

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2011, 11:58 »

Books: Gibson's "Neuromancer", "Virtual Light", etc. made cyberpunk what it is, and it's how I look at Caldari corporate shenanigans. Anne McCaffrey's "The Ship Who..." books were about people who had their minds put in spaceships which is close to what we play. It's part of why Ko had twinges of dissociative behavior like talking and acting like whatever ship she's connected to is actually her body before I knew it was an IC condition in the game.

TV/Movies: B5 is a good choice. Can I claim Minbari? Another one is Firefly / Serenity for the frontier atmosphere. And, because of it, I think of NPC Blooders much like the Reavers in the movie. Oh, and don't forget Bladerunner. That's good for a general feel and the paranoia of corporate secrets.

Games: Eclipse Phase and EVE have so much in common. Transhumans (including full infomorphs running around in the Net) in space hop from clone to clone when they die, or even jump clones to get from Venus to Europa quickly, to be effectively immortal. Almost everyone, not just an elite class like pilots, lives like that. There are nomads like the Thukker, the Caldari-esque Inner System Alliance made of different megacorps, Gallente-style communes on stations, even a group that refuse to clone themselves and zealously stay 'pure' like the Amarr Godflesh taboo. My character in a game I sometimes play with friends is an almost complete transplant of EVE Kohiko (except for the pod pilot part) but as a Yakuza 'Big Sister' from Luna.
Will work for pretty sig.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2011, 13:57 »

Books: Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels, i.e. Altered CarbonSuperluminal and Metaplanetary by Tony Daniel for strange transhuman and hyper-advanced tech concepts that I think should be more prevalent in EVE.  Heinlein's Starship Troopers and the later film of the same name for themes related to the State.

TV & Films: Yes, B5 because it was more about individual morality and the pitfalls of choice and free will rather than "goshwow aliens are so different".  Also, Firefly and the film Serenity for the themes of independence and government.  Blade Runner for the atmosphere and existential questions.  Everything Kohiko said, basically.  I think Cowboy Bebop is also a good one for the mercenary and criminal underworld themes and its overall "mournful and dirty sci-fi future" feel.   I'm rather disinclined to view Star Trek as being related to New Eden in any way.  It's far too hopeful.  Maybe DS9 is the exception to that rule.  Star Wars doesn't do anything for me whatsoever as it's pure fantasy-in-space.

Games: Privateer 2.  Mass Effect series.  Red Faction series, a bit.  Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.  The majestic and much in need of a revival Homeworld series, definitely.  And the X series, naturally, especially X3 and its expansion.  Very exciting that a new X title has been announced.

Others: Orion's Arm

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2011, 14:43 »

Very exciting that a new X title has been announced.

:eek: Looks like they got a higher budget for a decent voice actor too!

I'm not very well-read, but the Federation always felt like your standard 22nd/23rd century Earth faction to me, (Systems Alliance from ME, Confed from Wing commander etc.). A democratic, federal government overseeing a diverse collection of people as they seek new frontiers out in the stars. Could be seen as a bit boring, but I always like future Earth sci-fi anyway.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2011, 21:48 »

Anything by Nihei Tsutomu.  He used to be an architect, then started le making epic sci-fi mangas.

Hot.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2011, 21:55 by IzzyChan »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2011, 21:52 »

I liek Science Fiction Fiction.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2011, 03:28 »

Books: I've only read one Honor Carrington novel and liked the way the whole space war was approached in it. Picked up a Culture book, found it tedious, unimaginative and boring, had to struggle through the whole thing. Dune, rereading it for the umphteenth time. Douglas Adams, like the witty stuff. Read the Gap series, liked it, personally I could not see it in New Eden. Cyberpunk has always been fun, love the Gibson stuff, been reading George Foy seems like he has nice stories to tell. Bruce Sterling is awesome as well. Also the oldies like Arthur C. Clarkes Childhoods End and Carl Sagans Contact. Plenty of books I've read, but for some reason every time the protagonist is pretty much invincible or a lot above the baseline population in terms of skills or resources, I lose interest.

TV&Films: I think in the early nineties there was a lot more tries to make different sorts of sci-fi. Even late eighties. There was a lot of UFO stuff, there was low budget series about some space rangers, there was a childrens show in Sky, when I was a wee little thing, with some kind of robot pterodactyl and a constant war. Plenty of invasion shows that we're scrapped after the first season.

Films. There is a lot of them, from the Last Starfighter, to the Last Mimzy.
From horrible sci-fi TV movies to big budget films like the Matrix.
From Alien to the Thing.
Basically if it has anything sci-fi in it, I will probably watch it.

All of them are crap.

I just find the way they approach the subject interesting.

Because science is fucking boring, but yet the storytellers in Hollywood make it into something with explosions, bewbs and icky aliens.

Games?
For me, none of them have overcome the wonder that I had when I was playing the first Elite.
None of them have pulled me in like the first X-COM games.
No game has improved upon Alpha Centauri.
Nothing has kept me enthralled like System Shock 2.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2011, 04:40 »

Iain M Banks.

That is all.

Tyzzara

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2011, 05:27 »

So many great suggestions here. Headed to book store tomorrow to purchase a few of the titles listed above  8)

I am a DUNE fanboy. Shoot me.

The book Dune: The Butlerian Jihad not part of the original Herbert works officially reminds me a lot of EVE in the sense that cymeks (humans who have chosen to have their organs transplanted into machines extending lifespan by thousands of years)  living among and ruling over humans on several different planets. The timeline for The Butlerian Jihad is set centuries prior to Paul Atreides existence and the original DUNE novel.

EVE like?! :yar:

Kind of like I picture humanoid 'little people' who make up the majority of station and ship personnel while we immortal pod pilots enforce decisions on a whim costing multitudes of innocents to be killed (or saved). The cymeks and human situation in the book reminded me of this aspect. But I am not that bright.  :s

v0v

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 05:33 by Tyzzara »

I am a cipher, a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce; No one, not even you can uncover the truth!

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2011, 00:01 »

Literature:
Many good reads have been already mentioned. A few works of literature I remember enjoying:
Linda Nagata:  Deception well, Vast, - Space opera elements, nanotech, augmentations, all present also in New Eden,
Robert Silverberg: "Sailing to Byzantium," "Enter a Soldier. Later: Enter Another", - These short stories deal with immortal life, vanity and virtual reality, possibly in line with Gallente themes,
Brian Aldiss: Helliconia, - Carefully thought-out planetary conditions are driving the story,
Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game - Military training in the future,
Chris Wooding: Fade, - This one is perhaps slightly on the gray area between scifi and fantasy but all the intrigue could be like something from the Amarr court.

TV and movies:
Hokuto No Ken - Muscular saviour beats post-apocalyptic desert motor cycle gangs - Minmatar?
Outlaw Star - Space pirates discover a galactic secret - Pirate factions?
Last exile - Aerial steam punk pirates - More Pirates
Videodrome - Man becomes one with 80's technology - Everyone
Tetsuo, the Iron Man - Another man becomes one with more 80's technology - Everyone

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2011, 00:02 »

« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 21:41 by Ammentio Oinkelmar »

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 11:12 »

'Space above and beyond', TV series with lots of stuff reminding of EVE, from ship designs to tube children/tanks. It's inspired by Heinleins Starshiptroopers.

Ken MacLeod's works are interesting in many ways, the wiki page sums it up pretty well.

Jev North

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2011, 12:10 »

(ffff)
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 12:21 by Jev North »
Pages: [1] 2