Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: The New Portraits  (Read 26440 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: The New Portraits
« Reply #165 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:17 »

How about hairstyles? Spiky Vherokior 'dos still there?

Mierin Raine

• Clonejack
« Reply #166 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:20 »

They added eyebrows, really bad beards and naked men to the race selector.

No 5 o'clock shadows for all you folk with them, but I'm glad to announce that handlebar mustaches are now in game.

Hair color for men is adjustable, but it's implemented poorly. Some colors have obvious texturing problems when applied to certain hairstyles.

The new female underwear is terrible. The new men's 80's hairstyle is also terrible.

They did add really strong eyeliner so I guess that's good news for all you spacegoths.

They added new eyes but you can't change the color on them. Oh well, the old ones still work I guess.

Some sliders have had their range increased.

Oh, and guys have implant jacks on their back now. Apparently you have 6 of them.

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 10:48 by Mierin Raine »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #167 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:52 »

Oh, and guys have implant jacks on their back now. Apparently you have 6 of them.

Awesome, and kinda matches the video from fanfest showing the pilot getting out of the capsule.

Vieve

« Reply #168 on: 13 Oct 2010, 11:29 »

As I suggested to Cia this morning, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for me to play with this until it was closer to release.

Yup.  I was right.  And I'm also laughing at myself because it's looking like it's easier to recreate Celeste and Vieve from a Civire model than it is to tweak the base Gallente one.  Damn strong cheekbones.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 11:32 by Vieve »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #169 on: 13 Oct 2010, 19:17 »

I just noticed in the new patched sisi that you can now CHOOSE your starting school.....now thats a nice addition.

Also, when naming your new alter-ego, it shows Name and Last name boxes, which kindly suggest you go for a normal-ish type of identification. There is a randomizer button but it did not work for me.

Tried to create a verhokior an got some mixed results....i think some of the sliders and sculpting options need a help text on the right side or something.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #170 on: 13 Oct 2010, 19:24 »

Awesome, and kinda matches the video from fanfest showing the pilot getting out of the capsule.

Thats really cool.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #171 on: 13 Oct 2010, 19:28 »

Thats really cool.

excellent, now I know how to design the fake implants I'm making for fanfest.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #172 on: 13 Oct 2010, 20:30 »

Weeeeeee

Two and a half years stuck with some damned, caricatured Chinese man with long hair and silly outfits...now...VICTORY!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #173 on: 13 Oct 2010, 20:32 »

Now if the Sisi client wouldn't crash on me every 5 minutes... >.<

Need to figure out how to get the right debug and system data to CCP.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #174 on: 14 Oct 2010, 00:18 »

K been playing again, so, lets see

Sculpting is much better now, much smoother, faster, more responsive, and more in depth, although as I've said, there is a slight issue in that its a very complicated tool to use, which is sort of silly considering its only going to be used once. Functionality should trump prettiness. Its even harder now to get the character looking how I want, even though the face is more morphable.

The ring spinners are still rather meh, their not needed, they lag the system rendering the realistic dial spinning, the dials still slip the wrong direction when clicked on, and its overall still difficult to use. I think it could be fixed to work well, its not that bad, but I think on principle, they are a bad idea. One thing I think that would really help, was if there was some sort of labeling on the spinner to delineate between the options, for instance, on the eyes, label what each type is, same on the hair, etc, etc.

Still no options to change skin tone. CCP this needs to exist. All the characters are currently a very generic perfect white except for the Brutors. (lolgenericblackpeople)
In the old client, my Intaki character looked rather Indian with her dark skin, but now Intaki's are bland white.
Even the Asian bloodlines don't have much differentiation between skin pigments, the Achurans, Vherokiors, and Khanid look rather white considering they're supposed to be distinctly Asian.
Overall CCP, I know it might be a bit hard to implement this due to the way the avatars are rendered, but you really can't skimp on it. There needs to be that level of modifiability or everyone will look the same. Before you could roll anything from black to olive tan on a brutor, you could roll anything from pale as a ghost to half black with Gallente, you could roll anything from creamy white to distinctly Indian with Intaki, there should be more skin color options, not less.
I'm glad everyone will have unique, sculpted faces that look photorealistic, but on the tiny little boxes, all we'll see are faces with no way to tell them apart. It also hurts a lot of immersion factor, since one of the reasons I found eve special was that it lacked the whole "in the future everyone will be white and European" I feel like we're drifting back towards that.

The races still lack any unique feel. No accessories, no more outfits, no tattoos, no piercings, nothing to make one character stand apart from another...you see the problem I'm seeing here? We've gone from, in the old system, everyone looking like their bloodlines, and the bloodlines looking similar, to everyone just looking similar. Sure, there are a lot of for instance, hair options, but when you look at the big picture, there are going to be a LOT of clones, this used to only happen in the same bloodline, but its gonna happen a whole lot more if we don't get some more really distinct big things to tell the bloodlines apart.

Female hair colors are still incredibly different in the pallet then they are on the body

Female hair on some of the styles are still too high up on the head, too much forehead, specifically on the long straight one, but all of the longer styles suffer this a bit.

Specifically the hair style with the half Mohawk in the back, the hair cuts into the face above the right eye.

Sculpting the body is still incredibly awkward, its just a pain in the ass to do and pulling and pushing on things doesn't do what you'd expect to a rather annoying degree. The same is true to of the expression sculpting on the pose section, though not quite as much so, and there's still no way to have asymmetrical expressions, like a half grin, or a raised eyebrow.

so overall, in terms of core technology, its improving, in terms of the actual usability and modifiability though? not so much Tim.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #175 on: 14 Oct 2010, 01:45 »

Vince is starting to look like Vince.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #176 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:02 »

I'm still calling him Sephiroth Pryce.... :P
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #177 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:32 »

Looks like an effeminate Christian Bale.

Kimochi Rendar

• Clonejack
« Reply #178 on: 14 Oct 2010, 07:06 »

Bishonen Vince is Bishonen...

I've been unable to create Kimochi properly in the new character editor yet. The Khanid female facial structure is... um...

Well in short they look like they have Down's Syndrome. CCP needs to reduce the puffyness around the eyes and the goofy looking jaw, or adjust the tools so that we can change it ourselves. I don't mind so much that Khanid chicks are no longer automatically superhot with no effort whatsoever, but as it stands they really do not look right. At all.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #179 on: 14 Oct 2010, 07:37 »

In terms of skin colour, lighting makes a MASSIVE difference. Compare the portrait of Seriphyn there to the default Jin-Mei, which is a bit pasty.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14