Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Freed slaves in the Amarr Empire?  (Read 6968 times)

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
Freed slaves in the Amarr Empire?
« on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:13 »

So after once again deciding that the last time I said 'I quit this game and am never coming back' was a gross lie, I'm starting pretty much entirely fresh in Eve. On the plus side this means it's fun to make a new character! One thing I thought would be interesting is a Minmatar slave that's been freed in a legal way rather than a dramatic slave liberation raid or the like, and found themselves identifying more with the Amarr than the Minmatar after all their time among them.

My only problem is I'm having trouble finding fluff about how these freed slaves are treated in the empire. I mean obviously in a hugely class based society where even the Ni-Kunni are kinda treated like crap after all their time since being slaves I imagine a more new free slave would be pretty much on the low rungs. Still, are there any bits of fiction that describe things like this, or maybe others with characters with similar backgrounds to offer perspective?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Freed slaves in the Amarr Empire?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:37 »

They're not treated terribly well, a big part of that being due to the various wars with the Republic having exaggerated the already existing racial divisions. (treatment tends not to be much better in the Republic, either, unless the former slave is strongly and overtly pro-Minmatar/anti-Amarr)

I play a freed slave myself, and it's definitely very fun and interesting to play! I will say you might want to consider rolling a Republic Minmatar as that community is a bit in need of help right now, but if you're set on making an Amarrian one you'll be in good company.

Anyway, CCP has written up fluff regarding freed slaves still living in the Empire. I'll quote you all the major bits that have been written.

EVE Source:
Billions of Minmatar live within the empire, either as slaves or the descendants of slaves. Those free Minmatar are often the subject of intense discrimination and distrust from the Amarr, particularly in the wake of the Elder Invasion. Most free Minmatar occupy the lowest rung of society, struggling to survive, though some enterprising or pious individuals have made respectable lives for themselves. However, as the centuries pass and old biases begin to fade, many expect the Minmatar to slowly gain more and more power within the Empire.

EVElopedia Demographics of the Amarr Empire article:
Brutor-
The largest of the Minmatar bloodlines in the Empire, the Brutor are also the second most populous bloodline. Massive numbers of Brutor slaves were brought into the Empire during the earliest years of the Minmatar conquest, meaning they were most quickly subjected to breeding programs designed to increase their numbers. Brutor slaves are favored for incredibly strenuous work, as they have a reputation for being hearty, hard workers.

The majority of Brutor in the Empire remain enslaved and make up the largest percentage of the Empire's slaves. However, a large number of free Brutor live in the Empire as well, though they are only the fifth most populous free bloodline. Free Brutor, as with most free Minmatar living in the Empire, are among the poorest groups in New Eden. The majority work menial jobs, particularly related to manual labor.

Sebiestor-
Behind the Brutor, the Sebiestor are the second most popular slave ethnicity and the third largest ethnicity in the Empire. Though not considered to have the strength or endurance of the Brutor, the Amarr viewed the Sebiestor as being far more intelligent and personable, and thus put them to work on tasks such as engineering and service. Sebiestor still make up large portions of the enslaved house staff for many Holders.

Like the Brutor, most Sebiestor remain enslaved, but despite being less numerous, similar numbers have been granted their freedom. The Amarr credit this to the more docile nature of the Sebiestor. The tribe has had somewhat greater luck in integrating with Amarr society as well and free Sebiestor find themselves slightly better off as a result. The majority still live in poverty, but they often have a few less negative stereotypes working against them.

Vherokior-
The Amarr initially regarded the Vherokior with contempt and suspicion given their role as the traditional shamans of the Minmatar religions. For this reason, they were less interested in utilizing them as slaves, fearing they would incite discontent and retard the spiritual growth of other slaves, giving them less numbers than the Sebiestor. Eventually, however, they gained the reputation as having a head for business and numbers, and thus began to be grow as clerical slaves. Amusingly, some Holders also employed their Vherokior slaves in their traditional tribal role of teaching religion, albeit the Amarr one, making the Vherokior popular clerical slaves in both senses of the word.

Of the free Minmatar bloodlines, the Vherokior are the best well-off within the Empire, but still in smaller numbers than the Brutor or Sebiestor. Vherokior are generally considered somewhat below the Ni-Kunni on the social ladder of the Empire and fewer stereotypes exist against them than the other Minmatar bloodlines. Many join the priesthood and act as missionaries.

Krusual-
The Krusual were one of the most difficult tribes for the Amarr to enslave and their lower numbers in the Empire reflect this fact. Unlike the similarly difficult Brutor, the Krusual were not viewed as having any exceptional qualities aside from viciousness. As such, many of those who were enslaved were worked to the breaking point and cast aside by their Holders. In the present day, a fair number remain enslaved, but less so than many of the other Minmatar tribes.

Free Krusual in the Empire are relatively rare, at a smaller percentage compared to their enslaved numbers than the other Minmatar tribes. Those who do are heavily discriminated against and are often worse off than the Brutor, as Krusuals tend to be assumed to be violent and unruly and unsuitable for most civilized work.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2015, 09:52 by Samira Kernher »

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:44 »

Yea those help a ton, thanks! I guess I wasn't searching well or something because that's exactly what I was hoping to find.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:48 »

It can be hard to find things. EVE Source is a physical book so you can't find that on EVElopedia. EVElopedia itself on the other hand has a relatively bad search function I've noticed.

Anyway, if you do make a freed slave living in the Empire, you'll want to think on how they actually became a capsuleer, and whether you want to ignore the default school or work it into the backstory. Personally I decided to avoid rocking the boat so established my own character as having joined her family in moving to the Republic after emancipation, but feeling out of place there and eventually moving back after graduating Republic University.

The money is a big problem, regardless of if in the Empire or the Republic. It costs a lot to become a capsuleer, so you'll have to consider how your character managed to come up with the cash (a loan from their former Holder is one possible method, but then you'll have to think about why the Holder is willing to make that investment).

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2015, 13:11 »

Yea, gonna need to hammer that out better but for now I'm working on the assumption that a more liberal holder, once the slaves were freed, would be willing to make such an investment in a promising slave that they had a connection to. Naturally this would only further drive the slave to the Amarr, especially considering most of that slave's 'peers' would see it as 'oh cool, I got beaten and abused near daily in a mining colony where people died all the time, and your old master bought you a space ship, awesome, that's fair'.

I'm kinda basing a good deal of this one some fluff I found about slaves who wanted to hold on to the Amarr faith even in the Republic, and the big rifts that caused between them and their peers. I figure in a context like that it'd be pretty easy for a young adult to go 'ok well screw you guys' to the Republic. Not really 'hate' or anything of course, more a thing where they know the Republic doesn't particularly want them and they're fine with that.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2015, 13:29 »

Yup, it is very easy to do that. Any slave in Amarr that gets legally freed is probably one that's been culturalized over generations so as to be more Amarrian than Minmatar. Of the ones that are legally freed I'd think it would actually be only a minority that'd want to move to the Republic and take up Minmatar culture. And as faithful Minmatar do face persecution in the Republic (and freed slaves in general, for that matter), there's really very little incentive to move unless you really really have a beef against the Empire (or think that life might be better where you aren't second class, but in that case the Federation is probably the better pick).

Also, it doesn't necessarily need to be a liberal Holder. One thing to consider is that capsuleers make a lot of money and wield a lot of influence, and a slave who has proven their loyalty might very well bring prestige and a huge return on an investment after becoming a capsuleer. So even a more conservative Holder might be willing to do this if it was likely to be a lucrative arrangement.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2015, 13:43 by Samira Kernher »

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2015, 13:35 »

That's true, I was planning on doing a lot of exploration/industry to begin with, makes sense that in universe that'd be seen as a pretty solid investment to make!

You've been awesome, thanks a ton, really helped me refine things down!

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2015, 13:44 »

You're welcome. :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2015, 16:58 »

I missed this discussion, but it looks great! I'll be looking forward to seeing you ingame.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2015, 20:57 »

Me too.

That hum? Do not worry about that hum.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2015, 20:53 »

Also, it doesn't necessarily need to be a liberal Holder. One thing to consider is that capsuleers make a lot of money and wield a lot of influence, and a slave who has proven their loyalty might very well bring prestige and a huge return on an investment after becoming a capsuleer. So even a more conservative Holder might be willing to do this if it was likely to be a lucrative arrangement.

This is spot on. If you find historical analogies helpful, I see freedpeople in Amarr acting a lot like Ancient mediterannean freedpeople. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedman

The key element here is that the Holder would still expect total loyalty from a freed slave and their family (and probably the freed slave would be legally obligated to remain loyal). So it definitely doesn't need to be a liberal holder, just one who sees your character as an asset.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:39 »

Oh and Samira is entirely right. Stick with the Amarr side of things. The other side is so dead it's beyond help at this point.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2015, 09:41 »

It's disheartening to see that one needs EVE: Source for that kind of information. It really is the kind of info that should be available to all playing the game.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2015, 09:52 »

Only one paragraph was from EVE Source. The majority of the info is all on EVElopedia.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2015, 13:07 »

True, I must have not recognized where you indicated that you quote from Evelopedia. I gladly stand corrected.
Pages: [1] 2 3