Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Other MMOGs  (Read 11621 times)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
Re: Other MMOGs
« Reply #45 on: 02 Sep 2010, 17:50 »

I can't remember, but I am pretty sure that EvE was my first MMO.  Pulled a trial, went away for a bit, then cam back and stayed until now, more or less.

I did take a break and tried Star Wars Galaxies, loved the universe, but the game play killed that off.  Mostly the grind and the starship combat.  If I get an X-Wing, I should be able to blow up TIEs right off the bat, and not wait for a level 5 laser cannon.  It does hold the strange distinction of the first and only MMO someone actually tried to cyber with me.  And when I told him no, he left me on whatever planet he brought me to.  Twit.  I am looking forward to The Old Republic, hoping it is everything Galaxies was not.  

Never tried WoW, never been into fantasy that much.  Tried a bunch of free to play MMOs, but not enough RP, and EvE and RL took up too much time for me to really care about them.  Currently trying a trial on Global Agenda, not much RP but really nice shooter and team game play.  And no monthly subscription, so I might buy it just for that.  
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2010, 17:58 by Saikoyu »

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #46 on: 02 Sep 2010, 19:04 »

Tried some Runes of Magic recently. It's quite alright, but until they add some things like enabling diamond trade through the AH again (I want to pay for the microtransactions through ingame currency) and maybe do something like the dungeon finder in wow I doubt I'll put many more hours into it.

Lusternia got a hold of me again, so I am learning how to write triggers and stuff.

Looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and the KotoR mmo. And the cataclysm expansion for wow. Although if I can't justify raiding anymore due to time constraints or lack of interest, or another mmo taking my preference, it may be goodbye again. Hopefully not for short stints like AoC or Aion again, I'll be annoyed if Bioware does not deliver.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #47 on: 09 Sep 2010, 10:47 »

LotRO goes F2P tomorrow (details here on the pricing setup) in a very similar manner to DDO. For those who have had LotRO counts in the past, you can download the client here and start playing as of yesterday.

They've added some new servers, and there's a major content push as of the F2P launch. I'm getting back into it, I think. I may also go VIP and cancel my EVE subs and go into LotRO full time, since it's honestly a much better MMO imo (since I mostly PvE anyway due to lack of isk and time to MAKE isk what with school, and if you're looking for a PvE centric MMO, there honestly is no better than LotRO), and only stopped playing before because I didn't know anyone who played.

The community in LotRO is also fantastic. This video does an excellent job of explaining why - i.e. Turbine has gone out of their way to facilitate an inclusive community in LotRO (and also DDO) that helps each other out. The community not only does not bag on RPers, but the unofficial RP server (Landroval) is actually really well handled by the community as a whole, and with little policing.

If you're looking for an MMO to actually RP in, make up a character on Landroval, and you will find it in spades, and you won't get the "Hurr hurr hurr RPers hurr hurr hurr derp" nonsense to anywhere near the same level.

I have a solo hunter on Landroval (I don't remember her name, randomized) for when my friends aren't around, and my friends and I have set up characters on one of the new servers (the one that starts with a C, Clawhammer or Chickpea or Chicklet or whatever) for regular play. We're having some good fun already with it only being live for a couple days, and the community does not seem to have suffered from the F2P infusion yet, people are still really cool.

Maybe I'll see some of ya over there. :)

Also: I managed to nab the name Urist on the new server for my dwarf. \o/ That is awesome and hilarious and most people don't know why.

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #48 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:03 »

LotRO goes F2P tomorrow (details here on the pricing setup) in a very similar manner to DDO. For those who have had LotRO counts in the past, you can download the client here and start playing as of yesterday.

They've added some new servers, and there's a major content push as of the F2P launch. I'm getting back into it, I think. I may also go VIP and cancel my EVE subs and go into LotRO full time, since it's honestly a much better MMO imo (since I mostly PvE anyway due to lack of isk and time to MAKE isk what with school, and if you're looking for a PvE centric MMO, there honestly is no better than LotRO), and only stopped playing before because I didn't know anyone who played.

The community in LotRO is also fantastic. This video does an excellent job of explaining why - i.e. Turbine has gone out of their way to facilitate an inclusive community in LotRO (and also DDO) that helps each other out. The community not only does not bag on RPers, but the unofficial RP server (Landroval) is actually really well handled by the community as a whole, and with little policing.

If you're looking for an MMO to actually RP in, make up a character on Landroval, and you will find it in spades, and you won't get the "Hurr hurr hurr RPers hurr hurr hurr derp" nonsense to anywhere near the same level.

I have a solo hunter on Landroval (I don't remember her name, randomized) for when my friends aren't around, and my friends and I have set up characters on one of the new servers (the one that starts with a C, Clawhammer or Chickpea or Chicklet or whatever) for regular play. We're having some good fun already with it only being live for a couple days, and the community does not seem to have suffered from the F2P infusion yet, people are still really cool.

Maybe I'll see some of ya over there. :)

Also: I managed to nab the name Urist on the new server for my dwarf. \o/ That is awesome and hilarious and most people don't know why.
I tried it on free to play after I read your post. (10GB Download -- wow)
Thanks for the heads-up, I played for a couple of hours in the newbie section and it seemed pretty good.
Hopefully it won't rot in the way all the other MMORPG's I have tried - but as it looks like it might be heading in the direction of pay-to-win we shall see...
At least it is a light-hearted break from EVE, and my gf might even join in a game which would be nice.
:)
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #49 on: 10 Sep 2010, 14:41 »

I started playing EVE over 5 years ago and it still have not let go of my interest, thoug it has dwindled for a few periods.

About a year into EVE I was allowed to create a char on a friend's WOW account because I love the universe it's in (HUGE Warcraft fan here, played W2 with the neighbours daughter as a kid and own W3 and W3TFT) and wanted to try it out.

After getting an Alliance Paladin (Back when there was unique classes to each side) to lvl 15 solo I was bored out of my mind and quit. About a year ago, another friend of mine tried it out and I decided to give it another go to be part of the trio. I will admit that beating all those 'you need 5 guys for this' instances with only 3 guys was hillarious and much fun. As a Night Elf warrior I serve the role of tank for my friend's Draenei priest healer and the Human mage damage-dealer. The trio was perfectly balanced for our purpose, and we would level together too.

That period from 1-79 when I used to be the dedicated tank was nice, as I was actualyl releid upon to serve a role, one I can say I exelled at without bragging. Then I hit 80 and it all went downhill. The gear-grind and constant crap they call 'pvp balance' was horrible, compared to mages, warlocks, druids, hunters etc. the priest and warrior is perhaps the most underdog classes ever concieved.

After that, the only other fun was a Paladin duo me and the mage player made to primarely kick ass in PVP. We would fund these with our mains ofc, and it was quite alot of fun ruining the honor-farming operations of the horde-players. Holding the farm in Alterac valley alone with just the two of us against half the enemy team was epic. We held that for 5 consecutive waves of hostiles.

And those two situations are the only positive experiances I've ever had in that entire game. Blizzard keeps dumbing the game down, and by now we have left in disgust to dedicate our time to EVE, an MMO that's infinitly superior in so many ways...

Besides, there is RL. I don't have time for more than one MMO at a time.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #50 on: 10 Sep 2010, 15:40 »

I like running dungeons with RL friends in WoW, but I can't imagine PVPing in that damn game.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #51 on: 10 Sep 2010, 16:20 »

I really wanna try Lego Universe when it comes out.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #52 on: 10 Sep 2010, 16:32 »

There's only one other MMO I play other than EVE, and that's the first-person twitch space combat game called Vendetta Online.

Ran a 40-50 person RP guild there for a year, have spent 3 years or so on the council of another guild. Game's been compared to a first-person, multiplayer Escape Velocity before, as well as other games like Elite or Freelancer. "Space Quake" was another term used for it. Fun, to some extent, but the community is small (like, so small that the general "RP community" in EVE is probably several times the size of the entire VO community), and generally unfriendly to people who want to RP; the latter is the primary reason I don't play much anymore.

Worth a shot if you want to try it, but I personally wouldn't suggest spending lots of money on it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #53 on: 11 Sep 2010, 05:07 »

I dip my toes into the WoW waters every now and again. It was my first MMO, started playing it maybe 4 years ago. Soon I'll be past the first zone in Outland!  I really, really dig the trolls in that game, everything else is kinda meh.  I'll admit, getting access to flight has made the game much cooler.

I've tried LotRO and PotBS, they were ok.  Lord of the Rings is really pretty, but neither of them held my interest enough to want to persist.
Formerly Simon Coal.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #54 on: 11 Sep 2010, 05:36 »

There's only one other MMO I play other than EVE, and that's the first-person twitch space combat game called Vendetta Online.

Ran a 40-50 person RP guild there for a year, have spent 3 years or so on the council of another guild. Game's been compared to a first-person, multiplayer Escape Velocity before, as well as other games like Elite or Freelancer. "Space Quake" was another term used for it. Fun, to some extent, but the community is small (like, so small that the general "RP community" in EVE is probably several times the size of the entire VO community), and generally unfriendly to people who want to RP; the latter is the primary reason I don't play much anymore.

Worth a shot if you want to try it, but I personally wouldn't suggest spending lots of money on it.

Vendetta online? I've never heard of it, but that don't mean anything - I've been looking for online twitch-based space-shooters ever since falling in love with the game-play of Freelancer. Sadly I've not yet done so, I was hoping Jump Gate Evolution could come out and fix that problem. Sadly I hear JGE is cancelled now thus I'll have to look elsewhere.

Is Vendetta the only mmo option or is there others?

*EDIT* As for PVP in WOW, it was not that bad - the only good thing about it that had EVE beat is that there is always a reliable supply of it and that, atl on paper, it's decently balanced. Ofc that's due to leveling system and that has it's down-sides too, (twinks, super-funded chars, etc.) I did however enjoy the option of stopping my level on 59 with the char I made later and keep at it there, if only for the constant feeling of revenge it got. WOW polarises the players and I never encountered a hordling who was not a blaring fool if he was way over my lvl - hooting hollaring and begging me to duel him so he could kill me. Annoying. Killing them over and over in battlefields was thus very satisfactory, but you never get the feeling of achievement like in EVE, for obvious reasons. The PVP was cheap and reliable like that, and at times that's all you want.

One of the few things I miss from WOW was the feeling of immersion you get at times when you walk around, because the areas are so versatile and varied. Questing in the Night Elf homelands was actually quite entertaining, surprizingly enough if only for the the idea that I was out helping 'my own kind' as such. Perhaps one day Blizzard will realize how they keep running the game into the mud and improve it, instead of making it worse. One can hope.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2010, 05:46 by BloodBird »

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #55 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:05 »

EVE is really the only MMO i care to play at all right now. I mess around a bit in Fallen Earth which is pretty good and has alot of potential, and I still play DDO a bit as well its not bad as a free to play and Im a big D&D geek so I kinda have to play it a bit. Havent looked at APB yet. Only other MMO Im probably gonna ply is SWTOR.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #56 on: 11 Sep 2010, 13:39 »

*EDIT* As for PVP in WOW, it was not that bad - the only good thing about it that had EVE beat is that there is always a reliable supply of it and that, atl on paper, it's decently balanced. Ofc that's due to leveling system and that has it's down-sides too, (twinks, super-funded chars, etc.) I did however enjoy the option of stopping my level on 59 with the char I made later and keep at it there, if only for the constant feeling of revenge it got. WOW polarises the players and I never encountered a hordling who was not a blaring fool if he was way over my lvl - hooting hollaring and begging me to duel him so he could kill me. Annoying. Killing them over and over in battlefields was thus very satisfactory, but you never get the feeling of achievement like in EVE, for obvious reasons. The PVP was cheap and reliable like that, and at times that's all you want.

One of the few things I miss from WOW was the feeling of immersion you get at times when you walk around, because the areas are so versatile and varied. Questing in the Night Elf homelands was actually quite entertaining, surprizingly enough if only for the the idea that I was out helping 'my own kind' as such. Perhaps one day Blizzard will realize how they keep running the game into the mud and improve it, instead of making it worse. One can hope.

Lemme agree and disagree with you here.

First, I kinda agree with this idea of WoW PvP, that's it cheap and reliable. It is too as you say, despite the nay-sayers everywhere (mostly on the forums), very nicely balanced. Of course, there are flukes every now and then, but all that's very minor in the grand scheme of things. In a way, I wouldn't even compare Eve PvP with WoW PvP. Different animals entirely, but I will say that I have grown to really to enjoy PvP in WoW. It's not serious, like WoW in general isn't, and that's the point.

Which brings me to my next point. You're saying Blizzard is driving the game into mud and I disagree, though you didn't really go into specifics. In my eyes, they're making it more casual friendly and well.. I'm a casual, so I ain't complaining. In my eyes, they're making it a better game on the side as well. I for one enjoyed Wrath of the Lich King more than BC, even if I don't agree with every single thing that happened during the expansion (mostly, I think the ending was a bit meh, both storyline-wise and as a raid instance), but it still gave me my best moments in WoW.

Anyway, since abandoning Eve and going on hiatus from WoW, I've cruised in lots of different MMOs. That experience has really solidified my opinion that WoW is the best MMO on the market, while Eve is excellent as well (I was just a bit burned out and the game wasn't really evolving in directions that directly tickle my fancy) and certainly the most unique offering. It isn't that other games don't have good ideas, because they do, but WoW wins because on the whole it's a very nice piece of work and polished in a way that is difficult to appreciate without seeing the lack of polish in other games. Also, you mention the immersion factor.. it is huge. It's a shame that I've yet to meet another game to match it.

Oh, I'm entirely Horde and it is perhaps odd (or perhaps not), but the experience is similar on this side : Alliance seem like a bunch of teenage idiots. I think it's a matter of the wall between factions having been built very high in WoW, so the one's you see climbing over that divide to your side of the pond being always the worst of the bunch. Besides, I feel WoW is less about your entire faction as the community, but about your guild and associated players as your community of choice. So, when I feel at home in the Horde, it's my sub-community that I like.

Of course, I didn't choose the Horde because of the community I would join the future, but because of the lore. This inhuman army that came to ravage Azeroth, now stranded and calling it home, is what I have enjoyed in the game from the day I played the first Warcraft RTS. As a consequence and rarity as well, I entirely enjoy the post-Thrall Horde, even with its apparent fault lines and political tensions.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2010, 13:44 by GoGo Yubari »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #57 on: 11 Sep 2010, 17:41 »

Vendetta online? I've never heard of it, but that don't mean anything - I've been looking for online twitch-based space-shooters ever since falling in love with the game-play of Freelancer. Sadly I've not yet done so, I was hoping Jump Gate Evolution could come out and fix that problem. Sadly I hear JGE is cancelled now thus I'll have to look elsewhere.

Is Vendetta the only mmo option or is there others?

It's the only one that I know of that isn't officially still in alpha/beta stages, though when I last played seriously I'd have argued it was still a beta, just one you paid for.

It's about $10 USD/month, so not that expensive, and that gives you six character slots to play with. There's an eight-hour trial (for time spent ingame, not like how EVE's trial works) period that you can try dicking around with. It doesn't take more than a couple days or so to get to the point where you can fly/use ships and equipment that are 'average' in PVP, but making the money to afford that might be a little more problematic. ;)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 11 Sep 2010, 18:47 »

That experience has really solidified my opinion that WoW is the best MMO on the market

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you, there's a lot better MMOs out there than WoW (most of them, actually), and for a variety of reasons, but any aspect of WoW that one enjoys, someone did it way better than WoW did.

What WoW is the hands down best at is being a Skinner Box. All MMOs are this to a degree, but frankly Blizzard has perfected Operant Conditioning through its time with Diablo, Diablo 2, and WoW to a degree unmatched by any other entity.

I can't honestly say I know very many people who have played WoW to multiple level 80s and continue to grind epic raids for the best gear that they enjoy the game or even think it's fun, or if they thought it's fun, think it's fun anymore.

WoW is by far not the best MMO out there, but it is the best psychologically priming game in existence on the market today.

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #59 on: 12 Sep 2010, 14:56 »

That experience has really solidified my opinion that WoW is the best MMO on the market

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you, there's a lot better MMOs out there than WoW (most of them, actually), and for a variety of reasons, but any aspect of WoW that one enjoys, someone did it way better than WoW did.

What WoW is the hands down best at is being a Skinner Box. All MMOs are this to a degree, but frankly Blizzard has perfected Operant Conditioning through its time with Diablo, Diablo 2, and WoW to a degree unmatched by any other entity.

I can't honestly say I know very many people who have played WoW to multiple level 80s and continue to grind epic raids for the best gear that they enjoy the game or even think it's fun, or if they thought it's fun, think it's fun anymore.

WoW is by far not the best MMO out there, but it is the best psychologically priming game in existence on the market today.

^^ This.
The only on-line Multiplayer rpg's I have found that do not suffer from this (in fact, even then justs a couple of them) have been text-based.
Although I have been pleasantly surprised bby LoTRO. Having leveled to 13 since it went free to play and explored a lot of the system and a bit of the land  - if you just forget the grind and get on with being someone in bree-land there is still a lot to enjoy. While the 'Skinner' grinders running about from quest to spawn to shop to trainer don't spoil the atmosphere as much as I thought they might.
Also, some good community of RPers.
And - being someone who 'Studied' the books as a kid (well there was only lotr, silmarillion and the hobbit in those days) The world is very satisfying to wander around in - They seem to have got the compromises  right.
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5