Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Matari languages  (Read 21594 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Matari languages
« Reply #90 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:00 »

Hofdjaldgund and Gulmorogod.

But you can also say Ikea, we will understand.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #91 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:03 »

Glad you know their spelling, Lyn!

I usually just go with, "Those systems...yeah, those ones, the ones I can't spell. The Matari ones...No, not Auga...those ones!"

:bash:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #92 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:14 »

See, I see where you're getting the Norse references and I agree that there's a lot of Norse influence, but I just can't imagine the matari language sounding like that. Its just not...its not the right sound structure.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #93 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:18 »

Very nice, Matariki. I'm sure CCP is not that acute, but those name origins could perhaps relate to culture of each system in someway?

And why not, Nikita? What else do you think it would sound like?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #94 on: 22 Jul 2011, 09:46 »

I imagine it sounds like this

also, I imagine matari music sounding like that too.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #95 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:13 »

I think the point Nikita is making is that the Matari are tribal and much of their culture (aside from naming conventions apparently) seems to find its base in South American/South African tribal cultures.

It is natural to correlate language and music to match culture as we perceive it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #96 on: 22 Jul 2011, 13:45 »

RL tribalism extends much further than those regions. It even extends further than those societies which use the term...

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #97 on: 22 Jul 2011, 15:11 »

RL tribalism extends much further than those regions. It even extends further than those societies which use the term...

in terms of specific language, I was actually thinking celtic, because I really do love the way those languages sound, they just scream matari to me. The language that song is in is an extinct Celtic language called Gaulish.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #98 on: 22 Jul 2011, 16:51 »

I think the point Nikita is making is that the Matari are tribal and much of their culture (aside from naming conventions apparently) seems to find its base in South American/South African tribal cultures.

I realise you're trying to clarify a point someone else is making, so take the "you" in my reply as a general thing covering anyone actually claiming this.

Can you share any sort of evidence -- even suggestion-type stuff rather than hard stuff -- to support this? Why do you think that much of Matari culture seems to find its base in South American/South African tribal cultures?

As an example of the sort of supporting evidence that would be useful, there's a book The Art of EVE which (apparently, I haven't seen it) says the Brutor were originally inspired by Maori. That confirmed my impression based on the early race description that they were Polynesian: island navigators, tribal society, tattoos including facial whorls, mere-shaped ear pendants, and if you were making generalisations you could apply most of the same physical descriptions.

Now, based on what I've seen coming out of CCP more recently I think things have changed a little since then so I wouldn't want to advance Maori as 'the' way to play Brutor, but I think if anyone were looking for a real-world inspiration it's the culture that has the most support. Similarly, for 'general' Matari culture, and especially for Sebiestor culture, there's a good case for drawing on Old Norse elements, and there's some lovely stuff you can do with ritual, spirituality, loyalty, and bloodprice.

If you're going to assert that Matari culture seems to find its base in South American/South African tribal cultures, and particularly if you're suggesting that others should take this idea seriously and consider it for inclusion in their play, I'd like to know why you think that.

If you just happen to like it and want to use it in your portion of the world, go for it, just please don't present it as though it's more than your preference.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2011, 17:03 by Matariki Rain »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jul 2011, 17:04 »

I'm not really trying to pick one group for the influence of the matari, I think their influences come from all over. I'm saying what I think their language sounds like.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #100 on: 22 Jul 2011, 17:33 »

I'm not really trying to pick one group for the influence of the matari, I think their influences come from all over. I'm saying what I think their language sounds like.

Would it be fair to rephrase your point as follows?

I like the sound of reconstructed Gaulish. It feels right to me as how I imagine Matari sounding. I have no evidence which would tie this to what we know of Matari, but it's cool.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #101 on: 22 Jul 2011, 18:19 »

Matariki, I can personally confirm the Brutor-Maori link from The Art of EVE, as I have a copy of it.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #102 on: 22 Jul 2011, 19:06 »

Would it be fair to rephrase your point as follows?

I like the sound of reconstructed Gaulish. It feels right to me as how I imagine Matari sounding. I have no evidence which would tie this to what we know of Matari, but it's cool.

Thats fine, however, I don't think we really need evidence to tie it to. We don't need evidence that a group is culturally similar to the matari to base the matari language off. If we can all agree that something sounds matari, does it really matter what group we're taking it from?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #103 on: 22 Jul 2011, 19:29 »

Thats fine, however, I don't think we really need evidence to tie it to. We don't need evidence that a group is culturally similar to the matari to base the matari language off. If we can all agree that something sounds matari, does it really matter what group we're taking it from?

Why do you think something sounds Matari? If you compare other words we think are probably Matari, like Hofjaldgund, or Nidhoggur, what makes you think that Gaulish sounds Matari?
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #104 on: 22 Jul 2011, 19:40 »

Why do you think something sounds Matari? If you compare other words we think are probably Matari, like Hofjaldgund, or Nidhoggur, what makes you think that Gaulish sounds Matari?

Its hard to quantify. The way it can sound beautiful and flowing and melodic, or harsh and guttural depending on the speaker, the way the words sound just comes off as very matari. Its pretty, it sounds expressive, and artistic, and exotic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8