Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That many tattoos in EVE are nano-tattoos created with microchips implanted in the skin, programmed to react to the wearer's emotional state? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Matari languages  (Read 21626 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Matari languages
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:16 »

Well, its still a mix of both, but spreaded on different periods.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #76 on: 04 Jul 2011, 06:10 »

The Language is common to all, I think, but yeah I think its resonabloe to assume there are tribal dialects.

Overall though Id say theres much more of an African influence on the langauge, just going from the vowels and the sharp consonants.

Say it to yourself in your head: "Maleatu Shakor"

Then again, looking at some of the regional and solar system names, theres a bit of Gaelic/Nordic in there to.

Anybody got anything on some Native American language? Just thinking, looking at the Vherokior Tribe emblem
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #77 on: 04 Jul 2011, 08:29 »

"Maleatu Shakor"
Concerning that, I once figured out a solution to the Maleatu/Malaetu debacle:

It's actually a diphtong in whatever language the name comes from - like Ä or Æ in nordic languages. Romanization of the diphtong letter simply isn't universally agreed upon.

Or, you know...  :psyccp:

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #78 on: 08 Jul 2011, 21:27 »

So, crazy, but some of us have theorized that the Matari speak Spanish...

A random corpie > Panama City, Panama, is 40% native/Spanish mixed origin (Starkmanir), 15% Afro-Antillean (Brutor), 15% East Asian (Vherokior), 15% European mix and Jewish (Sebiestor), and 10% North American (Thukker).  There's my proposal

A similar language, influenced by Amarrian ( Spanish has a lot of Arabic loanwords ) spoken by a diverse group of people, all over the modern world, of a wide range of ethnicity... no, I dont literally mean "spanish" but, if people want a language most are familiar with as a background... why not?

No sé para seguro, pero pienso que lo es tan logica como algúna otra lengua?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #79 on: 09 Jul 2011, 04:46 »

That just sounds plenly weird  :lol:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #80 on: 09 Jul 2011, 05:43 »

A similar language, influenced by Amarrian ( Spanish has a lot of Arabic loanwords ) spoken by a diverse group of people, all over the modern world, of a wide range of ethnicity... no, I dont literally mean "spanish" but, if people want a language most are familiar with as a background... why not?

No sé para seguro, pero pienso que lo es tan logica como algúna otra lengua?

How is 'most' familiar with Spanish?

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #81 on: 09 Jul 2011, 07:58 »

Uh, the same way most people are familiar with arabic, or hindi, or english, or mandarin, or any other widely spoken language?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #82 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:29 »

I think the Romance languages already have a (justifiable) history of use to stand in for dialects of Gallentean.

I would like to know how the solar systems of the Republic -- beyond the original (three?) Matari systems -- got their names, and whether they were renamed after the successful rebellion. The Old Norse(-ish) influence in their naming is once of the few guides we've got for what might be something Matari.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #83 on: 09 Jul 2011, 15:38 »

There's also the plethora of Norse inspired shipnames, of course.

Ava: I seem to be misunderstanding you. I'm not sure what you mean by 'most' here. Most Eve players? Most RPers?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:07 »

Ava: I seem to be misunderstanding you. I'm not sure what you mean by 'most' here. Most Eve players? Most RPers?

She means most human beings. And she means "know of" not "actively speak"

Also, after spending the last few hours listening to Eluveitie for the last few hours with Ava, we're both rather convinced that is what matari should sound like, both the language, and the music, and the way they link together.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2011, 20:47 by Nikita Alterana »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #85 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:29 »

Chintaku seems to mean lover.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #86 on: 19 Jul 2011, 14:20 »

I think the Romance languages already have a (justifiable) history of use to stand in for dialects of Gallentean.

I would like to know how the solar systems of the Republic -- beyond the original (three?) Matari systems -- got their names, and whether they were renamed after the successful rebellion. The Old Norse(-ish) influence in their naming is once of the few guides we've got for what might be something Matari.

The agent names as well as names available in the new name generator for character creation might also give some hints to how Matari languages might sound like. ( http://www.electusmatari.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7862&pid=78887#pid78887 has a list of available last names in character generator )

I am no language expert, but browsing them, Matari names do seem to have (at least) Norse influences. Sebiestors the strongest, Brutor some, and Vherokior less. I don't speak Spanish, but the names available do not seem like stereotypical hispanic last names to me.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2011, 14:26 by Isobel Mitar »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #87 on: 21 Jul 2011, 17:03 »

I am no language expert, but browsing them, Matari names do seem to have (at least) Norse influences. Sebiestors the strongest, Brutor some, and Vherokior less. I don't speak Spanish, but the names available do not seem like stereotypical hispanic last names to me.

From the in-game evidence of names for agents and systems the strongest Matari linguistic contributor appears to be a Germanic language that's a simplified version of Old Norse. Some of the elements are recognisably straight from Old Norse, including:
  • Arn- 'eagle': Arnher, Arnstur, Arngur Idulf;
  • Helg- 'dedicated to the gods': Helgatild, Helgatild Lianuard;
  • Hjort- 'hart, deer': Hjortur;
  • Hror 'sword': Hror;
  • Ragn- 'counsel': Ragnarg, Ragnar Evald;
  • -gard 'courtyard, enclosure': Nakugard, Eytjangard;
  • -mold 'earth': Ammold, Hjoramold;
  • -ulf 'wolf': Eldulf, Meirakulf, Oddelulf, Oremmulf;
  • -hard 'tough, fierce': Urnhard; and
  • -vik 'inlet, harbour': Lustrevik.
It also includes the fairly distinctive initial "hr" and "hj" of these languages in names like Hrokkur and Hjoramold.

From the ship names we have direct references to Old Norse myth: Huginn and Muninn, Nidhoggur, Naglfar, Ragnarok, Fenrir and Loki.

So if you're going for any language as the well of inspiration for "Matari" I'd suggest Old Norse or proto-Norse, maybe with a look at modern-Icelandic-on-a-Latin-keyboard and Old High German.

That said, if you're playing that there are distinct tribal languages, whether revived or surviving, you get quite a lot of leeway to invent your thing. Just... there might not be many people to speak it with, and if you're using the translator anyway it all comes out as English (or French, or Russian, depending on who you play with).
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2011, 22:00 by Matariki Rain »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #88 on: 21 Jul 2011, 20:48 »

The ridiculous amount of Norse stuff in Minmatar naming and such along with the fairly well established 'pale and sinister' Sebiestor stuff is what made me take a Norse approach to the Gripdjur clan. Basing things off of Norse just seems to be the most supported path for Sebiestor stuff in general. Language and culture both, especially given the northerner approach.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #89 on: 21 Jul 2011, 21:06 »

The ridiculous amount of Norse stuff in Minmatar naming and such along with the fairly well established 'pale and sinister' Sebiestor stuff is what made me take a Norse approach to the Gripdjur clan. Basing things off of Norse just seems to be the most supported path for Sebiestor stuff in general. Language and culture both, especially given the northerner approach.

This is actually what I would have to agree with. I think the relation between Norse names and language fits the bill. There's also several of the system names in Minmatar space, such as Hofjalgund and Gulmgarod (sp?)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8