Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program  (Read 11317 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Kerbal Space Program
« Reply #45 on: 03 Nov 2013, 10:41 »

Mun Rovers! Unsafe at Any Speed!

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]
\o/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #46 on: 03 Nov 2013, 11:52 »

I've been told the correct thing to do is put a some RCS thrusters and a tank on your rover to flip it back over, but that seems freakishly wasteful without the ability to refuel a rover from a newly-landed resupply vessel. Instead I'm experimenting with angling my wheels outward at 45 degrees and then putting both "top" and "bottom" sets on, so in theory the rover should have a set of wheels on the ground no matter where it rolls.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #47 on: 03 Nov 2013, 15:43 »

Picked it up again recently. Manoever nodes are great. Managed* my first manned Mun landing and safe return in career mode; feels good man. On to Minmus and Duna!

(*: Yeah, so the lander kinda fell over on the first touchdown. Rolling it around to a slight incline, a quick firing of the main engine and some flailing at the controls fixed that.. I'm sure nothing important was damaged, and we can hammer the dents out of the capsule when we get home.)
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2013, 15:54 by Iwan Terpalen »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 25 Nov 2013, 21:20 »

Minmus in Career Mode!

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #49 on: 25 Nov 2013, 23:23 »

Do you know how lucky you peeps are to have found eachother? I have no one to share my Orbiter experiences with. :(

Well, I guess I could search for fellow Orbinauts, but...they're weird. Yes, even weirder than you lot! :P
-OOChé

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #50 on: 26 Nov 2013, 14:16 »

Do you know how lucky you peeps are to have found eachother? I have no one to share my Orbiter experiences with. :(

Well, I guess I could search for fellow Orbinauts, but...they're weird. Yes, even weirder than you lot! :P

True, but you can do this sort of thing in Orbiter:

Hope Eyrie - For the Eagle Has Landed!
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 04 Dec 2013, 23:55 »

So, I've been fooling around in sandbox mode trying to land progressively larger  rovers on the mun. Lately these have begun to involve some medium-size (by KSP standards) booster sections to get them into orbit and off towards the mun. Today I de-orbited a spent booster into the mun, continuing to fire its engines until I'd run it dry of fuel. This resulted in a pretty impressive downward velocity.

When it crashed, the core remote control unit - nestled between several Rockomax Jumbo fuel tanks, some heavy cubic struts, and a few small RCS tanks - was somehow launched straight back up again with sufficient speed and angle to - for the moment - achieve munar orbit.

In other words, I launched a probe into munar orbit by power of explosions. Damn right this is KSP.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #52 on: 28 Feb 2014, 23:06 »

I re-enacted Gravity's final scene in KSP. The station de-orbit and landing.

I tried to video it with fraps but it was only after I tabbed out of the game that I realized after a good 3-4 hours of trying and failing and trying and failing and FINALLY succeeding to to it... somewhere along the lines I had mixed up the on/off record toggle. I was too busy ingame to realize it wasn't recording once the scene started playing out perfectly. Because I thought I was recording, no screenshots were taken. I'll see about trying again, but with how many takes it took, I'm not sure I have the motivation.

Here's the abridged version though:

I had built a station replica based on the fictional Tiangong-3 (named Kerbgong-3 in this scenario) seen in the movie Gravity, with an accompanying Soyuz lookalike (stockalike) module attached, set using HyperEdit at exactly 71,000 altitude so I would only need a minimum of Delta-V to de-orbit. The scene was staged to begin during an EVA that I would begin after de-orbiting the station using some cleverly placed mini SRBs.

The trick is to complete the EVA part of the scene before hitting atmo, because during EVA, your kerbal doesn't fly with the station anymore. Otherwise he gets quickly 'blown away' by the wind and the station continues on without you. So, the mid-air EVA scene in the movie is impossible because of game mechanics.

With that in mind, I make my approach as fast as possible. In keeping with the movie, I enter the station's farthest hatch into the storage module. Using the Crew Manifest mod, I simply transfer Jeb from the station to the Soyuz descent module, which takes about as long as it does in the movie. During this time, the station enters a spin on its own.

I didn't expect that spin, as all my other attempts at the scene did NOT cause a spin, or at least I didn't notice it. By the time I was ready to stage, I realized I didn't have the decoupling staged correctly at all, and wasn't able to find it. So I had to manually cursor-hunt for the docking ring itself, rather than the decoupler I had placed ahead of it. In retrospect I could have spammed space... but then I wouldn't have been surprised by what happened next.

In the midst of solar panels and radiators shearing off, the whole station now fully aglow in orange flame, the spin finally reached a critical point and broke Kerbgong-3 into two chunks. In my frustration, I had given up hunting for the docking ring and was now reorganizing my staging. The break happened around the same time I finally found the decoupler and staged it out. In my haste, I had also screwed up my Soyuz staging, but it was mostly saved by my self-reminder to continue spamming spacebar.

So, tumbling in four or five pices now is the remainder of Kerbgong-3 and the Soyuz stockalike. Debris is everywhere, and at least one thing blew up (no idea what). Realizing I had finally done it, I looked at Jeb, wondering what his reaction was...

Abject maniacal laughter.
Jebediah Kerman was certifiably fucking insane.

After touching down on the surface, chutes working correctly still, bombs of station parts falling all around me... I took one last look at him...

... looking back at me with that smug little snack-eating grin of his. Fucking nutjob.

On typing this out, suddenly I want to try recording it a 20th time.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 28 Feb 2014, 23:47 »

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #54 on: 02 Apr 2014, 16:10 »

Picked KSP up again for the 0.23.5 update and I'm trying to set up a rendezvous with an asteroid that leaves me with the delta-v to capture it. Will post screenshots when I succeed (or spectacularly fail).

Has anyone here had a chance to use the new liquid booster rockets yet? I switched across to them for my launch stages and their thrust-to-weight ratio is insane. We're talking 90 seconds to orbit for 15t payloads here.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 02 Apr 2014, 20:18 »

I have a relatively clean install of 23.5 (Clock and Expandable Hab mod) and am working through Career mode at the moment and was at just the right point to get the liquid booster.  It puts a Main-Sail to shame as a first stage!  I have yet to get the 3-meter stuff, but I am sure it will let me do some cool stuff.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #56 on: 03 Apr 2014, 11:28 »

Do we have any estimates on .24? I'm tempted to get back in now, but I'm also really tempted to wait the extra month for .24 so that I can start completely fresh. :D

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 03 Apr 2014, 18:22 »

Do we have any estimates on .24?

SoonTM

Lyn Farel

« Reply #58 on: 04 Apr 2014, 01:47 »

Can you obtain mashed kerbals with those new shiny booster rockets ?  :P

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #59 on: 17 Apr 2014, 15:43 »

I finally sat down and set up a quick rendezvous with a class B asteroid to see how much pushing power I'd need to attempt a capture:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Turns out I need a lot more delta-V, and an engine configuration that can pull! Unfortunately Infernal Robotics isn't working with 0.23.5, so I can't put a ship together with engines that flip around 180 degrees. I've got about 80 Kerbin days to get another (more suitable) craft out and redirect the thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5