Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Author Topic: Re: The Alignment System Game!  (Read 544 times)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
Re: The Alignment System Game!
« on: 20 Jun 2013, 13:08 »

I think this system is very simplistic and shouldn't be actually used to describe complex relations and complex characters, playing real peoples, not some fantasy elves and orcs.

For example, take first category
"Good" implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.

"Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master.

People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.
According to this specification, how you will call a character, who on one hand is ready for great personal sacrifices, including sacrifice with own life, but on other hand readily kills innocents? It can't be good, can't be evil and completely inverse form of 'neutral'.

As for me, those, who will call themselves "good" in universes like eve (and many other online real-like not fantasy games), are nothing more than just self-righteous hypocrites. I despise them and usually act against them (for example, in games where exist some sort of 'pirates' and 'anti-pirates', I join side of 'pirates' just to slaughter 'anti-pirates', but not to harm 'farmers', unless they are 'protected' by such 'anti-pirates').

So, please, really, please, stop these ideas about good and evil.
From my point of view, there are no such things and they should not be discussed.
We fight not for good side and not for evil side.
We are fighting for OUR OWN interests or INTERESTS OF OUR GROUP.
The only way to use 'good' and 'evil' sides is IC propaganda against conflicting group, nothing more. Both are same way good and same way evil.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: The Alignment System Game!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2013, 13:35 »

[mod]Off topic. If you want to have a discussion about why D&D alignments don't apply to Eve characters, feel free to start a new thread. We may even already have a thread like that somewhere, but where this was posted isn't it. [/mod]