Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fedos are spongy creatures about the size of a cat that smell horrible and are sometimes used for waste disposal on ships? More here!

Author Topic: Enable rule changing  (Read 1715 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Enable rule changing
« on: 25 Jul 2010, 18:55 »

At times I ask myself, 'what harm would be done by the material that has been moderated?' vs 'what harm is being done by moderating the material?'

I am not criticising those who conduct moderation - I believe they do a stellar job.  I would like to draw your attention to the 'rules'.  It is my impression that within the rules there are clauses of the sort that may be vastly improved by their demise. 

Would the forum administration be willing to accept revision of the rules or forum structure in the nebulous public interest (defined by a high majority/unanimity of voters?). Quote something:

If a free society is to work, the vast majority of citizens must reflexively obey the law not because they fear punishment, but because they accept that the rule of law makes society possible. That reflexive law-abidingness is reinforced when the laws are limited to core objectives that enjoy consensus support, even though people may disagree on means.

Thus society is weakened every time a law is passed that large numbers of reasonable, responsible citizens think is stupid. Such laws invite good citizens to choose knowingly to break the law, confident that they are doing nothing morally wrong.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: Enable rule changing
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2010, 19:26 »

Would the forum administration be willing to accept revision of the rules or forum structure in the nebulous public interest (defined by a high majority/unanimity of voters?).
I don't see why not.  Provided it wasn't something we (meaning me, Silver and whoever was on the moderation team at the time) would open Backstage up to the sort of non-constructive forum battles it was created to avoid, I don't think there'd be any reason not to adopt rule/policy changes that were requested and supported by a good majority of its users.

...it's not a police state, after all.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2010, 23:52 »

...it's not a police state, after all.

It's not? I've long had the impression it was.

Note: Police State is not necessarily a negative connotation.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2010, 00:53 »

That was a tongue-in-cheek reference to a bit of what I'll call "preemptive criticism" that Backstage received before the domain name was even purchased, from people (read: more than one person) who thought that the rules and guidelines being talked about on smoke-filled-room (thanks Scagga) were going to be overly 'oppressive' or were designed to muzzle specific people unduly.

I'm sure some individuals still feel that the rules are unnecessarily tight and I'm equally sure I'd understand their reasoning for holding that opinion, but I don't think anyone's been unduly 'muzzled' as yet at least.  :)

*edited for more clarity 
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 00:56 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2010, 03:45 »

Every now and then I feel restricted because I can't go on a shit spitting rampage because some people are just so fucking thick :C

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:11 »

The next time you get the urge, ask a question instead. I know its tough knowing everything, but you might pick up a perspective or two.