Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Topics about Moderation  (Read 3912 times)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
Topics about Moderation
« on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:00 »

I have a suggestion for you guys: make the moderation discussion section exclusive to rule change recommendations, and remove the ability for members to openly question moderation decisions.

I understand for your desire for transparency, especially in explaining why a member of your moderation team has made their choice, but as clearly displayed in the number of 'why was I moderated?' threads, the explanation rarely results in understanding between the two parties. Compound this misunderstanding with the interjection of numerous third parties with their own agendas and bias into the 'debate' and suddenly the discussion balloons into something else entirely. I'm not saying that moderation shouldn't be questioned, but a private discussion between the concerned parties and the moderation team should not only satisfy any questions or issues made but also avoid unnecessary debate.

Thanks for reading.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
Re: Topics about Moderation
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:50 »

I kinda agree with this. Perhaps moderation issues can be privately dealt with?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:01 »

I'm personally not comfortable with doing this given the current system we have.

Not a fan of using PMs for it, because they make it a little difficult (even with reply-all) to have a conversation with multiple parties - and rather than have someone go circling around from one moderator to the next if they don't like the answer, it'd be better to have them all able to respond right away. Not to mention, it opens a whole new can of worms given the rules technically apply to PMs too, and there's no really effective way of handling that with our current system.

If there were a way to, say, appeal a moderation decision that created a thread that only that person and the moderation staff could see or participate in, then I'd go for it. There might be an SMF addon for that, actually, but Misan's the one who usually handles forum software updates and the like.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:09 »

Honestly, I think that the number of "why was I modded" posts and the interjection of third parties is a symptom hinting at some deeper problem, I think mainly differences and conflicts between cultures of language. I have been genuinely surprised by some decisions to moderate one or the other post or by the outrage caused by some statements that I felt to be completely harmless.

I don't think that these conflicts would be solved by removing the ability to debate moderation decisions that touch our cultural sensitivities.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2013, 14:18 »

I think it's become a bit of a cultural fad (#OccupyBackstage) among some circles here to post a thread about why they got moderated for fairly obvious behavior, and seem to jump at the opportunity to call out the moderators for perceived slights. Most of these dramatic threads seem to revolve around Morwen's uniquely blunt way of handling offenders.

There are a lot of legitimate threads when asking about moderator decisions, but there are others of them that are really a bit silly.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2013, 14:20 »

Well Kat, that might be another culture thing but a mod breaking the rules repeatedly because some users are being jerks does not deserve a mod position in my book.

As a mod team, you can just ban them and be done with it if they are pissing you off that much, and not making them right by lowering yourself on the same level.

Honestly, I think that the number of "why was I modded" posts and the interjection of third parties is a symptom hinting at some deeper problem, I think mainly differences and conflicts between cultures of language. I have been genuinely surprised by some decisions to moderate one or the other post or by the outrage caused by some statements that I felt to be completely harmless.

I don't think that these conflicts would be solved by removing the ability to debate moderation decisions that touch our cultural sensitivities.

That.

I sometimes feel like I am hitting a cultural wall.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2013, 14:58 »

I think it's become a bit of a cultural fad (#OccupyBackstage) among some circles here to post a thread about why they got moderated for fairly obvious behavior, and seem to jump at the opportunity to call out the moderators for perceived slights. Most of these dramatic threads seem to revolve around Morwen's uniquely blunt way of handling offenders.

There are a lot of legitimate threads when asking about moderator decisions, but there are others of them that are really a bit silly.

If that's so, maybe a less uniquely blunt and more polite style of moderation would solve the issue of this 'fad'?

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2013, 18:19 »

As a mod team, you can just ban them and be done with it if they are pissing you off that much

See, this is my view. However, Morwen and Silver are too nice, and they think that permabans should be for cause and follow warnings and a pattern of behavior and shit.

Maybe they'd let me apply my moderation style to people who volunteered for it?
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2013, 18:51 »

Never understood the complaints, myself. Backstage's rules have always been pretty clear. If there's a problem, those who don't like it are always welcome to revive Chatsubo or something.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2013, 19:23 »

Never understood the complaints, myself. Backstage's rules have always been pretty clear. If there's a problem, those who don't like it are always welcome to revive Chatsubo or something.

"If you don't like it as-is, plz go back to the shit-hole we all left for good reasons, k tnx bye."

Some people see no issue with the mods, others feel differently, and react to it. Telling people who feel differently to yourself about this to go back to Chatsubo is down-right cruel, you know. :eek:

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2013, 20:45 »

Yeah, you're probably right. I spoke in annoyance. No-one should be made to go back to that place.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2013, 21:08 »

It's not a cultural thing, no. I was raised (possibly improperly) to respect authority without much question. If a moderator is abusive, I do my best to avoid that moderator completely, sometimes by avoiding the venue they moderate altogether.

To put that into context, if I found Morwen to be treating me unfairly or abusively, I would stop using Backstage. Morwen can attest to my habit of leaving channels that I have a problem with ingame. I'd do the same here.

This is how I handle authority that's oppressing me, by hiding under the couch. I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but it's something that I've done for many years, and so I find it strange and aberrant that people so boldly and loudly complain and even attack Morwen for the way he moderates. I understand why, but I just cannot relate to it, because that isn't the way my mind works.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2013, 21:31 »

This is how I handle authority that's oppressing me, by hiding under the couch.

So should make a forum called "the couch" - for those seeking to hide from authority.   :cube:

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2013, 21:35 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to respond to Morwen first because:
If there were a way to, say, appeal a moderation decision that created a thread that only that person and the moderation staff could see or participate in, then I'd go for it. There might be an SMF addon for that, actually, but Misan's the one who usually handles forum software updates and the like.
I agree that my original premise was flawed, and I think this is a great compromise.  The question, I suppose, is whether the people who actually run this site are interested in making this change. For all I know you guys enjoy the debate threads!

The goal isn't to 'solve' the problem, but remove the 'white noise' that tends to follow the discussion, from individuals who are rarely directly impacted by moderation but choose to use the opportunity to vent their personal issues with members of the community. I think that's the 'deeper problem' you're referring to.

Some people see no issue with the mods, others feel differently, and react to it. Telling people who feel differently to yourself about this to go back to Chatsubo is down-right cruel, you know. :eek:
You see, I wouldn't have any problem with this because I behave the same way regardless of where I post. The rules aren't the only barrier preventing me from speaking my mind because I can do so without breaking rules. Maybe I'm just lucky, or perhaps it took a bit of practice, but in either case maintaining a personal standard of behavior that can be carried outside the internet has its benefits.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying you're a bad person or 'doing-it-wrong'.

Alizabeth

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2013, 21:42 »

De Oppresso Liber.  As someone that spent the first part of her adult life liberating the oppressed, I am incapable of backing down from what I see as abuse or oppression. 

That said, I was in the Marines, so I have a pretty high tolerance for what constitutes abuse.
Pages: [1] 2