Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Faster than Light Communication is regulated by CONCORD? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Matari languages  (Read 21543 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Matari languages
« Reply #105 on: 22 Jul 2011, 19:50 »

Nikita, I can appreciate that you like those things, but Ulphus et al. have a point: many of us prefer to branch off of what has been developed rather than claim an entirely new tree, at least in the sense of relating to existing PF.

An alternative, of course, would be to develop a clan's language, or perhaps some isolated tribe not associated with the primary seven. Then you have the opportunity for a true greenfield project.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #106 on: 22 Jul 2011, 20:03 »

An alternative, of course, would be to develop a clan's language, or perhaps some isolated tribe not associated with the primary seven. Then you have the opportunity for a true greenfield project.

Yeah, but then I'm the only one who speaks it, so there's no point.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #107 on: 22 Jul 2011, 20:04 »

So it becomes a case of "you've got to go along to get along", right? :)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #108 on: 22 Jul 2011, 21:40 »

So basically "I want it to be like this. I have nothing to support it with, but I want this. Oh, and it needs to be for errybody or it's pointless." then? No thanks. I'll stick with what's got support in PF and backgrounds, and for that matter the greater Minmatar RP community in general. (Which is a vague term to begin with, but still.)

That means languages and culture based in Maori, African-Tribal and Norse origins. There's already a lot of it within the RP community, there's established clan and tribal stuff already set up and it's supported by PF. Completely out of the blue pulling in Gaelic and such without anything to point to and say "See? It's got something to support it." isn't going to fly in general, I think. I sure know that encountering it in RP will be treated as some kind of clan off-shoot or possibly head-trauma.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #109 on: 22 Jul 2011, 23:51 »

Yep, a nordic language makes quite good sense for the basis of the Matari language.

Miz, emoraging every time someone brings up an idea you dont like, makes no sense.

Smoke a cigarette, eat a donut, and maybe pet the cat. It will be ok.

If someone likes the sound, flow, grammar, whatever, of a specific language, hey, more power to them. I feel the same as Nikita with regards to the "feel" of matari as a language. However, I dont think on it much, because it isnt like everyone will ever agree, and use it in daily gameplay, no matter what language people come up with. You like Maori? Cool. Go for it! I like spanish? Hey, my game! Nikita likes Gaulish? Run with it.

As far as "A lot of Maori, African-Tribal, or Norse" built into the RP community... news to me?

EDIT> this was written while Ava was tired, hot, and cranky. Take it with salt.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2011, 23:54 by Ava Starfire »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #110 on: 22 Jul 2011, 23:59 »

'emo-raging'? Not sure where you pulled that from. There's no emo, nor rage in my posts on the matter.

As for the Maori, African-Tribal and Norse used in the Minmatar RP community, I can refer you to a lot of the naming and linguistics used by Ushra'Khan corporations and individual members, Du'uma Fiisi when that was active, and others over the years. There's the Thukker stuff that you can see within Rote Kapelle and there's the stuff made/done by Minmatar RPers in the Militia and elsewhere. There's also several examples within Electus Matari where the above influences have been extensively used.

Maori, African-Tribal and Norse influences have been used extensively within Minmatar RP over quite some time now.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #111 on: 23 Jul 2011, 00:04 »

Again, I'm also not saying "this is the language that minmatar should be modelled after" I'm saying, "I like the way this language sounds and flows, and it feels very matari for me, I think when we start building the matari language, we should aim for something that sounds sort of like this."

Clear enough?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #112 on: 26 Aug 2011, 15:07 »

So like...is anything getting done with this? I've seen lots of cool little bits and pieces of Matari language in places, like Chintaku, from the Stranded chronicle, meaning lover/soulmate, or Matar meaning mother, Pator meaning father...there's a foundation to start languaging, and I've seen some interesting little snippets Ava made up from her chronicles:

Kina anarek'i, kina vuuk'i
Kina cenerk'i, kina vasortek'i
Varla mei yunuki, ienka mei tache
Katrea mei kenkii, neka, iei ma evai're.

which she has the translation for as:

While we dream, while we sleep
While we work, while we play
Guard our love, guide our path
Bless our home, Spirits, please hear me.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #113 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:15 »

So like...is anything getting done with this? I've seen lots of cool little bits and pieces of Matari language in places, like Chintaku, from the Stranded chronicle, meaning lover/soulmate, or Matar meaning mother, Pator meaning father...there's a foundation to start languaging, and I've seen some interesting little snippets Ava made up from her chronicles:

The response is the same as it was before: if you want to flesh out how your clan does things, go ahead.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #114 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:52 »

Alright, in that case, I'll start putting something together, but if other people want to use it as well, I wouldn't at all mind if the language, when it was done and established, had stopped being from being a local dialect.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #115 on: 10 Sep 2011, 18:52 »

As far as "A lot of Maori, African-Tribal, or Norse" built into the RP community... news to me?

My Matari blends include notable elements of Maori and Old Norse, along with a fair bit of conjectural stuff about how a certain type of group might change. (It's future fantasy after all.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]