Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The New Eden Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases  (Read 8437 times)

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing

Collect it into a document. When you're done. If you want. :P
Could be fancy looking, gathers the information into a singular unit. Handy-dandy?
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

If I find I need to scratch the itch and Schere has some time to spare I might look into fleshing out the details of the little affliction Morwen went through two summers ago.

Though that was the result of an insect bite more than an actual disease...
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anskek

Still counts.

Anskek

((WARNING: This one is pretty grim, so if you don’t like stories of human testing or are a parent, you have been warned. Don't read this one. For everyone else, as usual, feel free to comment))

((I MEAN IT, PARENTS, SQUEAMISH, PEOPLE NOT FOND OF TESTING ON LIVING HUMANS, YA'LL SHOULDN'T READ IT. IF I GET A MAIL FROM ANY OF YA'LL COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS, I WARNED YOU))

Disease Name: Rouvenor’s Vindicatif (Weaponized Progeria Delivered via Artificial Bacterium)

Catalog #: 52-0095-BDR.1-L

Index Case Date: N/A (Discovered YC52.04.09)

Principal Investigator: Vetrik Ou, MD

Site: Federal Navy Officer College, Department of Biodefense Research

***Please note that this report is meant to be a high level summary for general education purposes. Redacted items and laboratory results/measures available upon request bending met criteria mentioned within this document***

Abstract: Documents related to the arrest of Les Enfants des Noyés led authorities and medical personnel from FNOC to an abandoned underground facility. Lack of follow up during time of arrest led to tampered cache of medical IV fluids accompanied by forged documents to go undiscovered. Fluids bound for multiple pregnancy wards and contained engineered bacterium designed to modify genetics in unborn children to ensure Farnesyl group remain attached or reattached to prelamin A in genetic makeup, causing wide spread Progeria in what few Caldari remained who reproduced sexually.

HISTORY: Review of documents from arrest of Gallente extremist militant group known as Les Enfants des Noyés led to investigation of an abandoned underground laboratory. Initial biohazard scans returned negative. Numerous medical IV fluid bags were found stored in containment areas throughout the facility. Air tanks labeled in compliance with State medical device regulation. Database contained forged hospital paperwork for roughly two-hundred (200) hospitals within the State. Forged paperwork included inspection documentation, factory history, use directions, and destination wards. All destination hospital wards were confirmed pregnancy wards.

Further investigation uncovered evidence of human testing. Five (5) emaciated corpses (2 adults, 3 small geriatric) discovered in two laboratory chambers which included surgical equipment, chemical production equipment, embalming fluids, and numerous databanks.

Bodies and fluids transported via secure military transport to FNOC clinical research facility (LOCATION CLASSIFIED). Investigation into fluid and bodies executed in tandem with each other.

Initial fluid analysis confirmed absence of typical toxins and infections. Detail analysis initiated to determine possible parasitic infestation. Results return negative. Research assistant review sample under specialized scope. Scope reveals numerous microorganisms within the fluid sample. Analysis of remaining fluids confirm all are tainted with organism. Testing on organism reveals it to be a delivery system of an enzyme that seeks out and modified newly formed genetic structures through a specialized histone that seeks out Farnesyl groups.

This discovery likely saved the autopsy team from writing off death as torture and experimentation. Autopsy and genetic analysis confirmed adult victims to have been related. However, analysis of the geriatric corpses returned with results contradictory to appearance of bodies. Fluid research team contacted with anomaly. Fluid research team provided results from fluid analysis, leading to confirmation of tampered fluid organisms present in both bodies. DNA samples taken from geriatric corpses for helix structural integrity review. Review results return positive for tampered DNA. In addition, results of helix structural integrity review and previously executed basic genetic analysis returned with the same conclusive results. Geriatric corpses reclassified as infant corpses.

Tampered fluids reclassified as bioweapon. Diplomatic channels established with Caldari State recommended by FNOC leadership to [CLASSIFIED] to provide forged paperwork and analysis of both organism and corpses in order to execute immediate review of hospital equipment and deliveries. Action deemed politically and militarily dangerous given current relations between the two Empires. [CLASSIFIED] collective answer overridden by Senator(s) [REDACTED] and [REDACTED].

Follow up information regarding the above mentioned political events restricted and available upon request.

Addendum 1: 

Journal entries discovered hidden in databank terminal 7-c. Decryption underway. Entries will be updated in real time as they are decrypted.

12-3
‘Our parents died so that their children might live free of ‘tyranny.’ We gave them everything, we raised them from nothing. It will be for nothing, all of it. What pathetic few spawn they have will perish at the hands of the orphaned.’

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2015, 17:19 by Anskek »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

So, a bioweapon that forcibly ages victims?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Anskek

Ages children in revenge for Nouvelle Rouvenor.

Anyway.

http://strawpoll.me/3413972/

Go here, vote. Writing these takes a good chunk of effort, but if they really wouldn't be used, I'd rather save my time.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I do not know exactly when diseases will actually factor into whatever Elmund is up to considering that I do not really write a damned thing for Eve and most of his adventures are in space, but I say, if any of these diseases wound up wherever he was docked or in Skarkon I would use what you had written into part of the plot of fixing things.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

I do not know exactly when diseases will actually factor into whatever Elmund is up to considering that I do not really write a damned thing for Eve and most of his adventures are in space, but I say, if any of these diseases wound up wherever he was docked or in Skarkon I would use what you had written into part of the plot of fixing things.

Elmund should write a travelogue about the various coffee shops of the Dodixie 9-20 FedNAP.

Anskek

CASE # 10180085
AILMENT: COFFEE ADDICT PARASITE

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I don't really think that an absolute black-and-white yes/no answer is really appropriate for whether these things will be used or not, nor should it be any indicator of whether it's worth writing more or not.

It's also difficult to say in advance whether I or anyone else would use anything already included here, or would create something new to suit the situation.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anskek

Well the option maybe doesn't exactly help. It isn't like signing a contract or making a promise. It's like, yeah I could see using these sometime, or some disease maybe. Not a OH 100% YES. Same goes for the No.

Lyn Farel

These diseases are interesting and immersive, so as a piece of worldbuilding I don't see why I would not use them if I have the occasion someday... vOv

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Well, the cynosis thing is very nice to be honest and explains jump fatique rather well (though in the case report there's a mistake in that the neural scan/cloning tech didn't exist for capsules yet in YC38).

Anskek

When did it exist? I'll make the edit.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Capsule was integrated with cloning tech in YC104, ish.

As the cloning isn't actually essential to the report (like, it's basically, "they cloned, but came out wrong"), it might be easier to just scratch out the cloning from it and leave it as 'the pilot died in the pod'.

But yeah, either way, reading the cynosis stuff is basically like, "Hey, jump fatique." I'm not sure if that was first inspired by lore or was player invented but either way it would be good to tie it in I think. Maybe could consider adding additional stuff to the report about how it's becoming a major epidemic of sorts starting at the end of YC116.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5