Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Captain's Quarters and so on  (Read 14285 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Captain's Quarters and so on
« Reply #45 on: 09 Mar 2011, 20:33 »

I don't miss the 90's one bit.

You know how hard it is to grow up in a decade where no one can figure out what to do with their clothes/music/television/movies/lingo.

Suuucked.

Okay-ish games though. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd prefer WASD or mouse schemes for movement in Incarna. I think because there's not going to be a necessity to move quickly - no combat, no real action other than player interaction, etc - I'd rather have an accurate-looking movement from bar entrance to bartop seat, than a quick-move layout like a typical WASD MMO
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #46 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:15 »

It'll be good if they use both.
I prefer the WASD movement type over mouse moving, but that's because I used play a lot of games when I was in Singapore. They were a lot cheaper than they are here, PS2 was only $150SG on release and the games were $20+, PC games being around the same price.
But I'm old, so meh.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #47 on: 10 Mar 2011, 16:13 »

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd prefer WASD or mouse schemes for movement in Incarna. I think because there's not going to be a necessity to move quickly - no combat, no real action other than player interaction, etc - I'd rather have an accurate-looking movement from bar entrance to bartop seat, than a quick-move layout like a typical WASD MMO

WASD has another problem too. It reserves the keyboard and player attention. I'd much rather point and click the place I want my character to go to, and then be able to chat / alt-tab / whatever while she walks there. The way I can chat while my ship is warping from one gate to another in space.

Having to actively walk-walk-walk-walk my character to the bar, to the meeting room, to the hangar and back to the bar might be interesting on the first time and the second. How about the 50th? One big reason everybody runs around in MMOs is that the process of moving between places is boring and running gets you there faster.

I guess WASD movement in Incarna just seems like busywork to me. Why require continuous player attention to it?

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 10 Mar 2011, 19:42 »

WASD has another problem too. It reserves the keyboard and player attention. I'd much rather point and click the place I want my character to go to, and then be able to chat / alt-tab / whatever while she walks there. The way I can chat while my ship is warping from one gate to another in space.

This. One thing I've noticed in WASD movement games is how much less chat there is than in eve and how much harder it is to chat while doing anything else.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #49 on: 10 Mar 2011, 20:07 »

Why are we not talking about this?

Because capsuleers have capsules, not quarters and after this expansion CCP will put it in the same priority category as COSMOS, FW, and the burning station.   

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #50 on: 10 Mar 2011, 22:17 »

Because capsuleers have capsules, not quarters and after this expansion CCP will put it in the same priority category as COSMOS, FW, and the burning station.   

Maybe, but the captain's quarters have the potential to directly generate revenue through microtransactions. That might keep this expansion going for a while.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:40 »

The difference between games that has had WASD movement before is the fact that movement is not the most essential thing of Incarna.

You won't be exploring the fields for some quest items.

You will be in a location A, have your social interaction there, then go to B and have a social interaction there.

If something interesting happens while going from A to B.

You will stop and interact, not run around the interesting event while trying to have a conversation.

The pace of Incarna will be something completely different than any other MMO, especially if you can't even run, or jump.

If we would have the ability to chat efficiently while moving (which we will if you can do your interactions through voice) and the regular movement options, then the capsuleers will be running around jumping going 'LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!'

Besides if we are going for immersion here, then usually you only talk with people you are actually going from A to B with. You won't be doing channel RP while going to a bar to have similar interactions with.

You won't be playing EVE, while in Incarna, you will be playing Incarna.

Yes, there will be communication between those two games, you will probably gain information about what is going on in EVE through channels, but your primary interactions will not be there, because you will be in Incarna.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #52 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:19 »

Yes, what Lall said, please no no WASD, for all the sprinting around bars and into chairs/walls it would bring.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:44 »

Its the same with a typical mouse movement with an input saying "while the mouse button 1 is pressed, character keeps moving". Same thing.

Or you need a more strict/limited mouse movement liberty implying you need to click where your character has to go, like any RTS. But still, you can click here and there and make it move randomly all around like a retard, no matter what you do to avoid it.

Jae Cardas

• budding writer
  • Clonejack
    • Jae's Journal
« Reply #54 on: 11 Mar 2011, 10:32 »

Click-to-move is also acceptable IMO, done with a click once and your character walks to location method. Tried and true since the computer mouse first made sweet love to graphic adventure games, circa I dunno like 1989 or something? (And now I need to play through Full Throttle again)

Ahhh Full Throttle, I miss Ben and the Polecats.   8)

DrizzCat

• Amarrian Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Bastet's Organization of Mining
« Reply #55 on: 15 Mar 2011, 16:47 »

Honestly I think that the Captains Quarters will be a good thing.

It will Provide Obvious In your face info to the New players - Not the Current Look for a small Button and Hope it's the Right one. 

It will also really add to the social Aspect of the game.  Because Eventually there is a fair chance that there will be real player Run Bars. 

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 16 Mar 2011, 18:53 »

Eventually there is a fair chance that there will be real player Run Bars.

This.

I plan to own one.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #57 on: 16 Mar 2011, 19:19 »

Eventually there is a fair chance that there will be real player Run Bars.

This.

I plan to own one.

I plan to make a fool of myself in it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #58 on: 16 Mar 2011, 19:32 »

I would happily run my own bar into the ground by putting a crazy person in charge.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]