Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When level 4s first came out, they used the Belt NPCs and not the lesser Complex NPCs?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Captain's Quarters and so on  (Read 14285 times)

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
Re: Captain's Quarters and so on
« Reply #30 on: 09 Mar 2011, 07:14 »

I call shenanigans. That and I'll run screaming if Incarna turns into SL.
I don't think there's much risk of that. The SL shenanigans are only possible because 100% of the content is user created, and so if someone wants said shenanigans they can create and code the stuff to make it possible.

Incarna is likely to be a very different animal even with the potential to use similar mechanics to interact with the universe around you (including other people  ;))
Oh yes, other people. Last time I was in SL I 'accidently' wandered onto a gorean land in full furry regalia then started to troll them in text and voice in Chinese. Some idiot tried to respond to me in Japanese so I laughed loudly then said, "koto kozuo yoroshiku. Baka." Then wandered off.
But that said, coding in a test environment to be able to use a tentacle bed would be fun for a few minutes then I'd get bored of luring n00bs to a squiggley death.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #31 on: 09 Mar 2011, 08:38 »

I don't approve of a WASD movement scheme.

Mouse-clicking will be far more "fluid" and realistic I think. WASD will have you running up to the stool, continuing to jog into it, pausing for several seconds as you open up the mouse menu, and sit.

Mouse-click will have you enter the bar, click on the stool from the other end of the room, and go to sit on it. Your character will walk from one end, and immediately go to sit in one motion.

WASD...people running around in bars and clipping off pillars, bleh.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #32 on: 09 Mar 2011, 08:44 »

I quite like the WASD walking motion movement thingy, mouse moving just irritates me unless it's just for X/Y axis movement.
I can understand click to interface, but I'm getting old and WASD movement is the oldest form of pixellated running into objects.
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #33 on: 09 Mar 2011, 09:50 »

I can understand click to interface, but I'm getting old and WASD movement is the oldest form of pixellated running into objects.

I remember "click to move" long before WASD became the newfangled thing.

* Casiella is teh auld

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #34 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:20 »

* Casiella is teh auld
Click to move =/= the sound your walking sticks make. Although I'm awesome and us a jet-propelled zimmer.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:32 »

* Casiella is teh auld

heh, I remember that too, Ragnarok online lol
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #36 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:35 »

You Miss Alterana, have lost 100 internets for mentioning another of those which shall not be named.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #37 on: 09 Mar 2011, 12:35 »

Up-down-left-right arrows before WASD, dudes. I remember when Oni was first released, reading a review of it out of a major gaming magazine that complained about the WASD control scheme.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #38 on: 09 Mar 2011, 12:40 »

Folks, unless you were gaming on BBS door games in the Reagan area with me (or similar), then all that shit is NEW.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #39 on: 09 Mar 2011, 12:43 »

Folks, unless you were gaming on BBS door games in the Reagan area with me (or similar), then all that shit is NEW.
Really? Dang, never thought I'd be a bittervet gamer grrl...

Crucifire

« Reply #40 on: 09 Mar 2011, 14:39 »

heh, I remember that too, Ragnarok online lol
I remember... lots of hats. Still, I'd rather play that than the other MMO which shall not be named. You know the one, it's the one that uses both control schemes including that horrid holding of the two buttons to walk forward type deal.

Up-down-left-right arrows before WASD, dudes. I remember when Oni was first released, reading a review of it out of a major gaming magazine that complained about the WASD control scheme.
Haha, I can remember buying that game and being confused that it didn't use the arrow keys. I was playing Half-Life like it was Doom at that point.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #41 on: 09 Mar 2011, 14:47 »

Ackshulleh, Wolfenstien was released as arrow key movement then Wolfenstien 3D was released with optional WASD control setting.
Keymapping came quite a bit later.

Anyway, I still think all Captain's Cabins will do is give a new meaning to station spinning.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 09 Mar 2011, 16:23 »

Am I the only one who thinks moving an avatar with a mouse is dumb? Just use WASD and the autorun key for chatting while moving, like every other MMO since 1998.

this

Click-to-move is also acceptable IMO, done with a click once and your character walks to location method. Tried and true since the computer mouse first made sweet love to graphic adventure games, circa I dunno like 1989 or something? (And now I need to play through Full Throttle again)

I should have stated it is my personnal appreciation of the thing. I definitly know both can be appreciated by different players and have to be possible in a game in terms of ergonomics.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #43 on: 09 Mar 2011, 18:36 »

It's entirely possible that both options will be available. My personal preference is for WASD, but I could live with either one.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #44 on: 09 Mar 2011, 18:40 »

Lol at you guys missing the 90s.

But seriously, you're old.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4