Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That travelling to planets takes quite a long time?  For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Captain's Quarters and so on  (Read 14284 times)

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
Re: Captain's Quarters and so on
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:38 »

There are still ways to get Incarna wrong - like wasd movement (imagine typing while walking...) or having to be on voice to talk in a room (sucks to have kids or flatmates who are light sleepers!) but CCP having avoided some pitfalls makes me hope they can avoid most of the rest too. :)

I assume since they redid the hotkeys we will be able to configure the ones for walking. If mouse walking is not default I will put it on that. Keyboard turning is bad. Voice I believe has been confirmed to remain optional.

All I can recommend to those with worries is to follow the information closely as it is released and be active in the feedback threads.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:27 »

Am I the only one who thinks moving an avatar with a mouse is dumb? Just use WASD and the autorun key for chatting while moving, like every other MMO since 1998.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:39 »

Ogod...VOICE RP in bars? Ogod...any majors in drama, anyone?

Also, be interesting how interaction will be. I suspect things will be done with a mouse. For example....

Right-click bar
 - Lean both arms on
 - Lean one hand on

Right-cleak seat
 - Sit down straight
 - Sit down in slouch
 etc

Right-click self, set expression or posture

I mean we've seen photos of avatars just standing around leaning on railings so...

Jae Cardas

• budding writer
  • Clonejack
    • Jae's Journal
« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:49 »

Seems we all are thinking along the same lines of being sceptical but still looking forward to what they come up with in the long term.

The captains quarters is the obvious starting point and I'm sure most people will think "meh" after the initial "ooh thats pretty". It will be cool to play around with, but after a while it will just be a place to walk your character around in circles instead of spinning your ship round when you have nothing to do  :lol: I really don't think there will be anything positivly immersive untill you can interact with each other in the stations. I for one play Eve for the social aspect and often log on and don't undock if I am pressed for time and just chat to people. Being able to do that in someones quarters or at a bar, etc would be pretty cool and most defiently add to the imersion. It seems it's STILL early days though  :roll:
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 10:51 by Jae Cardas »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:54 »

I'm looking forward to this.

I can certainly daydream of a time when playing Eve outside the pod will involve entirely free form interaction supported by an endless variety of locales sitting solidly atop an infinite stream of customizable content. That's roughly what I hoped for when I was 16 and trying to get into the Eve beta.

Against that ideal, whatever CCP came out with would be a disappointment. Happily I've managed to retain the enthusiasm while gaining a thread of reality. I think the fact that CCP is investing resources in Incarna at all is pretty awesome. The ability to dock and look up at the bulk of your ship. The ability to have any kind of customizable room - being able to get out of the pod at all.

I'm content to wait and see how else they might develop it. I think the fact that they've the stated goal of making a full featured Sci-Fi world is as close to that hope of 16-year-old me as any MMO company is likely to come, and it makes me that much happier that I've backed the right horse for all these years.  :D

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2011, 14:02 »

Until we have gameplay or at least shared social spaces, this is a big "meh" to me.

Exotic dancers count as gameplay.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #21 on: 08 Mar 2011, 19:43 »

I'll get more people staring at my pixellated tits and some people would be barely understandable. Most likely get, "you're a female playing internet spaceships? I call shenanigans," from 99% of channels except those with people that realise women do play internet spaceships.
I'd love to say I'm excited about this, but I tend not to get my hopes up on new updates. Incarna will make station camping more unbearable than it already is.

Captain's Quarters will be fun to play with for a few minutes; then it'll just be another way to sit idle and be lazy, but avatar spinning instead of docking with all your big, shiney things and spinning them. Maybe you can edit your avatar's clothing in the Captain's Quarter... I can see it now, loads of scantily clad, buxom females running around with little boys drolling over the pixel breasts and thighs of their latest fap alt whilst speaking in barely understandable dribble.

Okay, I'll stop ranting.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #22 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:01 »

I'll have a very tangible use for this when it comes about.  :D

Major JSilva

« Reply #23 on: 09 Mar 2011, 02:52 »

Visually and technology wise its ground breaking. I hope CCP doesn't get to carried away with it though but the Beta verision should be hitting Sisi soon here so i make my final call then.

Jan Kesler

• Clonejack
« Reply #24 on: 09 Mar 2011, 03:45 »

Captain's Quarters = Fun at first, but then forever alone ;_;

Captain's Quarters + Invite friend to quarter button = First step towards victory(?)

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #25 on: 09 Mar 2011, 03:59 »

Also, be interesting how interaction will be. I suspect things will be done with a mouse. For example....

Right-click bar
 - Lean both arms on
 - Lean one hand on

Right-cleak seat
 - Sit down straight
 - Sit down in slouch
 etc

Right-click self, set expression or posture

I mean we've seen photos of avatars just standing around leaning on railings so...
Before spending all of my time in EVE I spent it on SecondLife and if the methods of moving around and interacting with the space around you are similar you might be pretty close here.

While you use the keyboard to move around this is backed up with mouseclicks that offer a small "ring menu" that gives appropriate options such as sit, stand, lean, etc.

Rather than then selecting from a range of options in terms of how to sit (up straight, legs crossed, etc) the chair item includes a range of poses which then animate the character offering more realism.

Because of my time in SL I'm actually really looking forward to this.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #26 on: 09 Mar 2011, 05:17 »

*St00f.*
... SecondLife ...

... "ring menu"...

Because of my time in SL I'm actually really looking forward to this.
I call shenanigans. That and I'll run screaming if Incarna turns into SL.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #27 on: 09 Mar 2011, 05:32 »

Am I the only one who thinks moving an avatar with a mouse is dumb? Just use WASD and the autorun key for chatting while moving, like every other MMO since 1998.

this

Crucifire

« Reply #28 on: 09 Mar 2011, 05:54 »

this

Click-to-move is also acceptable IMO, done with a click once and your character walks to location method. Tried and true since the computer mouse first made sweet love to graphic adventure games, circa I dunno like 1989 or something? (And now I need to play through Full Throttle again)

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #29 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:01 »

I call shenanigans. That and I'll run screaming if Incarna turns into SL.
I don't think there's much risk of that. The SL shenanigans are only possible because 100% of the content is user created, and so if someone wants said shenanigans they can create and code the stuff to make it possible.

Incarna is likely to be a very different animal even with the potential to use similar mechanics to interact with the universe around you (including other people  ;))
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4