Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: The Scotland Referendum  (Read 16936 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: The Scotland Referendum
« Reply #60 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:57 »

Could one of you good United Kingdom members assist in describing the relationship to us out of EU folks?

I'm looking for an appropriate analogy as to the sort of connection or bond you feel with Scotland if say you are living in England.   

Is it like someone in California and another person in Texas, where they both have very different lifestyles but are part of the same larger national framework?

Or is it more like someone in the US and then someone in Puerto Rico where it's basically an entirely different country and social organization but part of the same overall group on paper?

It's a fair bit complex.

One simple issue that resonates strongly, with all nations of the UK and what is defining the relationship right now, is that things, everything, economics, politics, society etc, are all way too London-centric.

Being strictly technical, London is a part of England, but it's its own city state in all but name. It's the main cash-cow for the economy, it has its own administration as well as being the seat of national government, house prices and rents are extortionate but people keep buying them because London has a massive pull factor, sucking in wealth and wealth creation from the rest of the UK. Which wouldn't be a problem if British industry was strong, but after 70's Labour govt, then 80's Tory government, industry collapsed and most Northern cities never recovered

So, within just England you have England/London, as well as North/South.

The theory behind the Act of Union which created the UK from England (and Wales) and Scotland is that it would be a partnership of two powers, but as things worked out, due in no small part to constitutional neglect, England grew while Scotland still grew but at a much slower rate, thus terms of an equal partnership grew to favour the larger party, politically and constitutionally.

The majority of Scots, I don't think, see themselves as oppressed but as the recipients of a bad deal, which isn't without some very good ground.

A lot of English folk outside of London sympathise because they are in a similar situation; Central
government is profoundly disinterested in their affairs, and because the English have no devolved administration they have only two real avenues for politics; Local Councils, which are basically just elected admin bods and treasury agents, and one house of the national Parliament which rarely if ever manages to come across as sympathetic to the interests of regular folks.

Wales, while erring less towards Scottish style independence was not recognised as a proper state of the UK until the late 20th century and still by and large feels part of an unequal deal. Particularly since a great deal of industry disappeared thanks to decisions made by London governments over the 70's and 80's. My own grandfather worked in the steel industry at Port Talbot and left just as the industry began to decline.

Northern Ireland has a mire of issues that would need and essay to address, and should be considered as kind of special case in comparison to Scotland and Wales.

As opposed to the States of America where states grew with each other, developing like links in a chain, these Nations have distinct identities and intertwined but very individual histories, growing into each other as opposed to growing together.

On the basic social interaction level of people, strangers friends and family etc, by and large we get along just normally with no issues. The British people are nothing if not disposed towards minding their own business.

In short, socially we're all just content and happy with each other, jokes aside, but politically, economically and historically we're divided.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2014, 12:01 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #61 on: 31 Jul 2014, 13:07 »

You should have annexed them centuries in the past, it works wonders.  8) :P

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #62 on: 05 Aug 2014, 12:04 »

Here's something interesting I've noticed today:
http://www.thinkscotland.org/thinkpolitics/articles.html?read_full=12675&article=www.thinkscotland.org

Basically, a book about the defence plans for Scotland in 1940, has been used by pro-independence campaigners, to whip up anti-english sentiment, to say that Churchill planned to abandon Scotland to the Nazis to save England, and so on and so forth.

It's All Lies. The book says absolutely nothing of the sort.

but this is what the pro-independence campaign is. The mythic "English" who has all the secret plans to do bad things to Scotland.

Right out of a certain historical continental politician's propaganda playbook, that sort of thing. Fan-tas-tic.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #63 on: 07 Sep 2014, 03:07 »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #64 on: 07 Sep 2014, 04:55 »

Don't worry Scotland, it's cool. If you declare independence we'll just hook you up to some trawlers or something drag you up here and you can come hang with us. You're practically Scandinavian as it is. Besides, we're running low on Russian immigrant workers here so there's plenty of room for what may very well be the coolest bunch of foreigners I know of.

Barely even joking, I've never had anything but fantastic experiences with Scotsmen up here.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 07 Sep 2014, 20:54 »

Don't worry Scotland, it's cool. If you declare independence we'll just hook you up to some trawlers or something drag you up here and you can come hang with us. You're practically Scandinavian as it is. Besides, we're running low on Russian immigrant workers here so there's plenty of room for what may very well be the coolest bunch of foreigners I know of.

Barely even joking, I've never had anything but fantastic experiences with Scotsmen up here.

Heard England was talkin' shit.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #66 on: 08 Sep 2014, 00:48 »

people are trying to get votes by playing the Jew card, i.e. "Jews out of Glasgow".

intimidation and harassment of people is commonplace. to the tune of organised groups to violently prevent political opponents from speaking.

pro-yes campaigners call for surveillance of no campaigners, for "files" to be kept on them, to "ensure justice" after a yes vote.

yes campaign happy to endorse the views of homophobes, in return for large sums of money.

yes campaigners happy to say all no voters are full of "lies, stupidity and cowardice". google that phrase.

The yes campaign are happy to use the far-right as deniable assets, because this referendum is the only thing that matters to them, not the consequences of re-invigorating the far-right.

Modern Scotland.
\o/

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:42 »

Good luck to everyone on this site caught up in this thing. 

Regardless of what happens (I have my own hopes for the vote, but not important), wishing the best for y'all.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #68 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:55 »

Heard England was talkin' shit.

Well, as a Scandinavian, I can't even begin to explain how true that comic is. I don't actually have a solid opinion on the independence bit, even though I'm leaning towards them going "fook all o'ye" to the imperialist bastards. It's a bit more complicated than that, sadly, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the Scots themselves think. Lou actually putting Diana Kim to shame in here just might tip me over to the independence side on general principle though.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #69 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:01 »

... I'm not sure where you're reading that.

If anything, Lou is suggesting that the yes/pro-independence groups make Diana Kim-c look like a productive goodposter.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #70 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:08 »

Well, it's the impression I'm getting. All that's missing is "And this is why the rebels must be destroyed" at the end of each post.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #71 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:33 »

Imperialist bastards...   :roll:

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 17 Sep 2014, 18:13 »

... I'm not sure where you're reading that.

If anything, Lou is suggesting that the yes/pro-independence groups make Diana Kim-c look like a productive goodposter.
Imperialist bastards...   :roll:
I agree...  :roll:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #73 on: 17 Sep 2014, 23:21 »

I don't own a house. All I have in the way of assets are my bank accounts.

The currency thing, means the yes campaign are asking me to gamble everything I own, on the chance that "things would be better", that "control of our destiny" means something other than a bunch of minority politicians sat in Edinburgh, thinking up new ways to be an authoritarian state, and that I would have to prove I have a right to be there, should I visit anywhere in the UK.

The yes campaign say the Westminster parties cannot be trusted to provide new powers, but we're supposed to trust them to follow the terms of the Edinburgh Agreement ?
They say that Westminster cannot be trusted to act in Scotland's interests, but we're supposed to still share a huge variety of institutions, such as the university research funding council, and stuff like the Police National Computer, and trust Westminster with those ?
They say that Scotland didn't vote for the parties that are in power in Westminster, but... most of Scotland didn't vote for the party that's in power in Scotland.
They say that it is unfair, that Scotland has "33% of the landmass of the UK but only 9% of the MPs", while S.E. England has "~10% of the landmass, but 35% of MPs". S.E. England has close to 40% of the UK population. Scotland has 8%.

A currency union commits a Scottish first minister, to on occasion act against the 5m people of Scotland's interests, in the interests of the 58m people who also use the currency. It's a dumb idea. Yet that's what's proposed.

also, intimidation of university academics that endorse a no vote - when the St.Andrews university principal said that a yes vote would threaten funding, Alex salmon'ds "chief of staff", phoned up to demand, demand, that the principal renounce that, and sign a document stating that independence would be good for universities.

"chief of staff", who is this person, by whose authority are they doing these things? Special advisors are everywhere. At the SNP cabinet meetings, there are hordes of these "advisors", from god knows where, and they sometimes are the ones who decide policy. They're not accountable to the electorate, why are they even there ?

The public bodies of Scotland have had numerous senior positions filled by people who are not qualified to be there, and are purely there to be yes men.

There are dozens of "community groups", which have received Government funding, to campaign for a yes vote.

It's not grass-roots, it's Astroturf.

The No campaign, are simply asking me to take a chance on the next lot of politicians in 2015 being less objectionable than the current lot.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2014, 23:41 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #74 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:16 »

An academic was saying something in the lines : if Scotland gets independence, it shares 8% (iirc) of the UK debt, which would mean 70% ++ of public debt, which would be rather bad for a new country.

Also, I hear that the main arguments for this independence is a difference of political views between Scotland and the South, where Scotland has always been a lot more left wing, and that there is also the problem of their representation politically, since as Lou pointed it's directly tied to the demographics.

Well then, maybe their issue is not so much with independence and more with democracy, or the autocracy of the majority ?
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2014, 03:23 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11