Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hubert Caissor was a Gallentean senator who, along with his entire family and personal wealth, disappeared aboard the starship Peralles while jumping from the Dom-Aphis system to Iderion.

Author Topic: Re: Language and The Community  (Read 666 times)

Norrin Ellis

Re: Language and The Community
« on: 02 Jun 2013, 01:06 »

I don't actually agree with Schere on the suggestion that we should use more neutral terms when we actually mean to be derisive. (Edit: Though if you are using derisive language and don't intend insult... that's a much bigger problem) That said, the example of "circle-jerk" is a problematic in its own right and really defies any defense. Using the word pejoratively is just one more example of the massive overuse of sexist and homophobic language that pervades EVE.

I don't think we need to be neutal when we don't intend to be, but surely you all can find a term for "dark side of echo-chamber" that doesn't carry homophobic baggage.

So, it's totally cool to be as offensive as we want, provided that we don't offend gay people?  Seems like a double standard in neon lights to me.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
Re: Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2013, 01:13 »

Try: "Its ok to not pull linguistic punches when you intend to punch something, but maybe you should avoid words that carry more baggage than you actually mean."

Edit:
Terms like circle-jerk, or any other term that uses sexual behavior (or race or any other large category like that) in a perjorative way as a metaphor for something someone does not like are fundamentally problematic.

There are plenty of ways to be derisive and hostile that don't involve also showing latent bigotry towards an entirely unintended target.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 01:18 by Gaven Lok ri »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2013, 01:29 »

So, it's totally cool to be as offensive as we want, provided that we don't offend gay people?  Seems like a double standard in neon lights to me.

No, it is not okay to be 'as offensive as we want.'

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2013, 07:50 »

[mod]Please read the FAQ in regards to posting culture. Also Rule 11.Posts by Gaven and Makkal removed as they respond to a moderated post and would not make sense without the post in question.[/mod]
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban