Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Hammer Drops  (Read 10448 times)

Desiderya

Re: The Hammer Drops
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2014, 20:18 »

There's messy and then there's enormous ships poking around in each other.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2014, 20:24 »

Ah, the good old days of:

"Okay guys I've jumped in, what's going on?"

*Several hours later after spaceships by powerpoint, black screens, trying to load grid, disconnects, failing to login, and TiDi*

"Wow awesome, looks like I got podded and didn't even know after losing my capital! At least I got the t-shirt saying I was there."

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2014, 21:13 »

Here I am, unsubbed for this mess.  Not like I'd have been able to do anything but sit a few systems away and watch the livestream myself anyway, but yeah.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2014, 21:39 »

I've always said that EVE is "a game with spaceships" rather than "a spaceship game", especially with godawful screenshots like that :P

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2014, 23:05 »

Fourty
Eight
Titans
Dead

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2014, 23:33 »

Fourty
Eight
Titans
Dead

On one side. Fuzzeh's stream currently says PL/Nulli have killed 47, and CFC+RUS have killed 56.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:21 »

WTB Formation flying for chrissake.

Ever battles look -terrible- at these scales.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2014, 02:20 »

Imagine ships autoshifting into formation position at 10% tidi.  People wouldn't even USE a psuedoautopilot like that in combat (which a formation would force) - they won't even use it flying from system to system in Empire.

Also a ticke at he back of my brain hat even if they could make it smooth it would ezmode things and pilots in fleets would simply learn less skills.  Like aligning to safeson their own etc, as they'd align with the gang leader automatically, in synchronicity.  Etc.  But I'm also tired.

The ships may LOOK like shit with no formation but formations, 2D ones, are as pointless as space-walls, and 3D ones would end up, once ships align to fireon taregts etc.. a bit like that.  Its not hard to get a gang to fly and move in formation tbh.  People don't bother for reasons of their own distance to targets/personal align points, etc.

Just for the actual individuality going on in EVE for each pilot even in 1000man fleetblobs .. after all, each ship can tend to be their own, their own ISK, their own responsibility, and again, formations to make sense would be placing control of your ships distance etc from gangleader... ehhhh... Pain for beauty is one thing but fleets welping cause a FC/wing commander/w/e does a fucktard fleet alignment move on everyone under their command at a shit time...

Id have that feature turned off myself.  If my ship blows up I want it to be because of the speed/traversal/alignment *I* put it at, not at some FC who may have zero fucks to give about what the loss would do to me.  All titans /whatevers aligned to the same safe = slower escape chances, no good if they all warp to the *same safes* or safes in a drag bubble line along the warptunnel.  And not all fleets move their gangs to the same safes for that reason.  Align time is precious seconds.

The preceeding is a fully uninformed opinion.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2014, 02:26 by Arista Shahni »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:15 »

This is still running (sort of) so the numbers aren't quite confirmed or settled yet, but depending on who you ask, anywhere between 60 and 90 titans have died, with dreadnought deaths being in the hundreds.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Desiderya

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2014, 04:14 »

It all depends, I guess. Formation flying is pretty useless in a Melee. When you have a decent engagement range you may not be impacted. Problem is always: Aside looking pretty, what do I get out of it? Because forced movement right now would just cause issues with tracking - and looking pretty is not as important as being efficient, after all.

However that could be worked around by allowing SCs/WCs/FCs to issue formation orders, that have to be followed (and accepted) down the chain and aside looking neat might offer ~leadership based bonuses dependant on type of formation, scaled by number of participating fleetmembers~. Much more fun than OGB. Also you can spot who's on track and who isn't. :p
But that's just food for thought.

Anyways, dead supers is good supers. Always nice to see those shiny toys used for more than just hotdropping some poor souls. :)

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jan 2014, 08:52 »

Well, it's that way in EVE, probably because of the methods EVE uses for targeting and navigation.  Formations are intensely important in any kind of highly tactical warfare, but EVE is a fairly old game and had to handle a LOT going on at any one time.

Hence, you can't really fly in formation because it doesn't necessarily matter where you are in it, targeting happens automatically (as opposed to having to manually aim and fire), navigation happens on its own, it isn't like fighters are dogfighting to try and protect their larger compatriots in a screen or people are trying to dive in and divide fleets to lessen incoming fire.  That kind of thing just isn't possible on the scale EVE operates at, especially during the time it was first released.

Future games may find make it work, but they'll be far more complex just in sheer performance than EVE is.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jan 2014, 09:00 »

Formations only make any sense, when Line-of-Sight is important. Line-of-sight is very, very expensive and problematic for multiple clients with dissimilar latency.

Giving arbitrary bonuses like an extra +5% armour to an "armour formation", is just another thing that promotes large groups at the expense of small groups.
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2014, 10:40 »

So CCP just announced they're having a PLEX sale for Rubicon 1.1 (link).

And here's the header image for the news item:

Shots. Fired. :D
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Desiderya

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:12 »

Nice sale. :p

As for any group bonus: The bigger group is always at an advantage. If at all, a clever way to utilize such a formation/strategy system could give smaller groups an edge, as it is easier to get a high level of discipline out of a small group. In your typical blob you've got people being semi-afk, just tagging along, lagging behind. Depends highly on how such a system would get implemented. Autopilot-by-FC sure is something we don't need. vOv

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:20 »

Confirmed numbers by CCP:

DD SW SF CFC DTF: 16 Titans lost, 3 super Carriers lost.

N3, PL, NCDOT, EMP: 59 Titans lost, 11 Super Carriers lost.

So, a total of 75 titans down and 14 supercarriers.

Not included in CCP's list is the ~325+ dead Dreads and ~130 carriers.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7