Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Silphy enDiabel of the Syndicate used to be one of the Sisters of EVE? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: EVE - Origins Trailer  (Read 8331 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: EVE - Origins Trailer
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:26 »

Nice vid, really.

Though I am not so sure that it tells that death is mandatory to become a capsuleer, it can interpreted in many ways I think, though yes, it bothers me too.

It's grittier though. Like no soft cloning.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:50 »

Soft cloning is an idea that will simply come back the moment that Capsuleers can do ANYTHING out of their ship ingame that carries a risk of death.

This is a given. The concept that if you die in a ship it's really of little concern but if you die in a different part of the game, we delete your character? That's not happening. Ever.

Given that, and extrapolating that we WILL do things out of our ships in RP that carry a risk of death, that same logical justification for Soft-cloning still exists.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 28 Apr 2013, 06:50 »

Despite my earlier criticism, I'd approve of this becoming the intro video. The old-old intro video was frankly a bit long, even if some of the art assets were beautiful and the storyline nicely fleshed out. The current one is... merely eh. This new one strikes a nice balance of brevity, explanation, and :stuffblowingup:.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:35 »

As to the getting killed to enter the pod thing. Why would anyone who is completely against the idea of cloning become a podder in the first place?

I've always run with the idea that Arnulf kept bio samples & sperm samples in storage long before he became a capsuleer. It's just a sensible precaution for anyone who works in space & has any notions of having children. Plus they need something to seed your clone biomass with and to pull your genetic template from.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #34 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:38 »

That was pretty freakin' amazing.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #35 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:55 »

I found it interesting to see a literal row of capsuleers getting their first clones at the same time. It seemed like a mass production scene to me; a thematic departure from the idea that capsuleers are beautiful, unique snowflakes, with the universe lining up to fellate them.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #36 on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:40 »

It would work nicely as an intro video. :)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:08 »

It would. It's not going to do very much to slow down the nubbins wandering into The Summit convinced that their characters are sitting in a cockpit somewhere with a literal box of doughnuts, though.

For some reason, CCP's never gotten very good at explaining that bit. Perhaps it's "weird" enough that they feel it would interfere with marketing?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:19 »

As to the getting killed to enter the pod thing. Why would anyone who is completely against the idea of cloning become a podder in the first place?

Why do people who -naturally- don't want to die IRL do things like get in airplane cockpits, jump off cliffs with only some thin fabric strapped to their back to stop them - or hell, even go out and drive on the streets? Because they presume - somewhat rightfully - that they can do it more safely, with more precautions, with less room for error than those who come before them. Same thing goes with capsuleering - you can become a capsuleer and, by taking certain absolute precautions, reduce your risk of being podded to near zero.

I've always run with the idea that Arnulf kept bio samples & sperm samples in storage long before he became a capsuleer. It's just a sensible precaution for anyone who works in space & has any notions of having children. Plus they need something to seed your clone biomass with and to pull your genetic template from.

I think most people keep similar things about for the same reason. The unhappiness with the cloned-at-creation trope has more to with (at least for players with conservative Amarrian characters) the feeling that by the time you step into the game, you are already an abomination and anathema to the people you were hoping to fight for. Why fight for a side that views you on the same level as the enemies you face down in space? In the past there was the option to take those heavy precautions to avoid podding, and if podding finally did come to treat it as a fork-in-the-road storyline choice.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #39 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:30 »

It would. It's not going to do very much to slow down the nubbins wandering into The Summit convinced that their characters are sitting in a cockpit somewhere with a literal box of doughnuts, though.

For some reason, CCP's never gotten very good at explaining that bit. Perhaps it's "weird" enough that they feel it would interfere with marketing?

I found it a bit curious how similar the apparent view presented to the pilot, was to the actual game interface.

WARP DRIVE ACTIVE

Also, regimented training of new pilots, destruction of original body to facilitate easier transfer to clone existence, is still I think compatible with the existence of a different training regime in the past.

Creation of a new body already fitted with implants vs attempting to install implants on an existing body has a precedent:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/implanting-microchips-into-insects-us-military-develops-cybug-spies/14380

It's easier to insert chips into insects as they metamorphose, rather than attempt surgery on adult insects.
\o/

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #40 on: 28 Apr 2013, 11:28 »

Capsuleering has existed for over a century now. Of that, only in the last decade has it included cloning as part of the mix. Cloning is not integral to being a capsuleer, and the only reason it's such a widespread part of the program now is because it's been mandated by CONCORD. If there was an option to not use clones, I'd expect some capsuleers (especially Amarr) would take it.

Also, what Esna said. Just because cloning is part of the mix, doesn't mean you have to treat it as something guaranteed to happen, or unavoidable. Death is part of the mix for many dangerous jobs, such as the military, that doesn't keep people from signing up for it anyway. And you probably have less chance of dying as a capsuleer than you would as an independent bridge captain--that's why they've been training capsuleers for as long as they have, afterall. They have superior performance, massively reduced cost, and greatly expanded ship capabilities (freeing up all that crew space for additional weapons, cargo, defensive systems, etc).

Capsuleering is a superior life choice, with or without cloning.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013, 11:39 by Samira Kernher »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 Apr 2013, 14:55 »

Capsuleering has existed for over a century now. Of that, only in the last decade has it included cloning as part of the mix. Cloning is not integral to being a capsuleer, and the only reason it's such a widespread part of the program now is because it's been mandated by CONCORD. If there was an option to not use clones, I'd expect some capsuleers (especially Amarr) would take it.

Also, what Esna said. Just because cloning is part of the mix, doesn't mean you have to treat it as something guaranteed to happen, or unavoidable. Death is part of the mix for many dangerous jobs, such as the military, that doesn't keep people from signing up for it anyway. And you probably have less chance of dying as a capsuleer than you would as an independent bridge captain--that's why they've been training capsuleers for as long as they have, afterall. They have superior performance, massively reduced cost, and greatly expanded ship capabilities (freeing up all that crew space for additional weapons, cargo, defensive systems, etc).

I am, personally, sceptical about the idea that the Empire views all clones as anathema. I thought the Godflesh doctrine only applied to heirs, and was tied up with the reverence of the emperor's person (or that of a potential emperor)?

But in a big Empire lots of theological quirks can turn up & still be in the mainstream, so please don't take this as a doing it wrong comment.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 28 Apr 2013, 16:05 »

Thread probably needs to be split at this point.

The short version, Arnulf, is that debate is still open in the Amarr RP community as well. Esna's views are closer to what you described, but as CCP has continuously hinted that there are some who do care, there are a lot of characters who take the view that it applies to all.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #43 on: 28 Apr 2013, 19:15 »

I am, personally, sceptical about the idea that the Empire views all clones as anathema. I thought the Godflesh doctrine only applied to heirs, and was tied up with the reverence of the emperor's person (or that of a potential emperor)?

But in a big Empire lots of theological quirks can turn up & still be in the mainstream, so please don't take this as a doing it wrong comment.

It's only a religious law for heirs. The principle of Godflesh still applies to everyone, it's just not illegal to clone as it is with heirs.

Amarr cultural views on death and cloning are controversial. Traditional views are that the soul goes to God upon death, and clones have no soul. While there's an active progressive movement arguing that the soul migrates to the new clone, it's still controversial and probably wouldn't be followed by many conservative Amarr.

And that's just on the religious front. There's many reasons why one can be against cloning. Yet the benefits of being a capsuleer are still massive, so one doesn't have to like cloning to want to become a capsuleer.

Also yeah, should probably be split.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013, 19:17 by Samira Kernher »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 28 Apr 2013, 20:39 »

GOD DAMMIT YEAH.

It's awesome and looking at some of the fanfest videos too... it's amazing how a game I now haven't played for years can still move and inspire me.

Yeah.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6