Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Incarna 1.0  (Read 9901 times)

Hurs Sokira

Re: Incarna 1.0
« Reply #45 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:12 »

I have a hard time believing this is done by the same company as previous expansions.

Because it is not the same company anymore. I wonder for how much longer investors will tolerate incompetence of CCP's upper management.

At this point, the best that can happen is that EvE gets taken over by a large software house such as EA, most of management fired and core dev team tasked with maintaining and iterating on spaceship part. Considering how CCP is desperate for money, the takeover outcome is more and more likely.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #46 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:42 »

I have a hard time believing this is done by the same company as previous expansions.

Because it is not the same company anymore. I wonder for how much longer investors will tolerate incompetence of CCP's upper management.

At this point, the best that can happen is that EvE gets taken over by a large software house such as EA, most of management fired and core dev team tasked with maintaining and iterating on spaceship part. Considering how CCP is desperate for money, the takeover outcome is more and more likely.

Dunno if I will agree to that 100%, but I would be looking pretty damn critically at the Incarna team. Incursion, for example, was a nice little expansion. But then again, these things are lead from the top. Certainly the company has changed, but has it changed conclusively for the worse or not.. I'm not saying Eve is dead yet.

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #47 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:50 »

The thing that disappoints me is the only captain's quarters are the dirty, rusty minmatar ones.  Oh, and the clothes in the store are ugly and overpriced.

The turrets look nice though.  I thought they were going to change the background starmap, but I guess that's one of the things that got cut at the last minute.

Overall, mostly disappointed with the implementation, but I think it has room to grow into something nice.

-Punx

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 22 Jun 2011, 08:20 »

Just as pointless as I thought.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 22 Jun 2011, 08:28 »

A couple thoughts on this expansion.

CQ? Kinda cool for the first few minutes until you've seen every single thing the TV has to cycle through and gotten bored. Lighting on the characters is terrible - looks like dogshit on low settins, and simply looks flat on higher settings. That face I spent a while making and shaping and blahblahblah? I'd find it less jarring to look at a stick figure with a 2d image of my portrait for its head than look at the corpse I see now. I'm also a little annoyed with the new 'load station environment' option. Formerly, when you told it not to, you got a static image of your ship in the hangar. No spinning, but there's your ship. Now you get a door, you can't see what ship you're in unless you open the fittings or hangar windows. Just a little inconvenient.

Turrets? Pretty cool, tbh. Except they're supposed to go in and out and whatnot, and I did not see this when I tested it. Otherwise, pretty. I'm happy-ish, except for what they did to the tempest. Seriously, wtf? They moved one of the six turrets and it just looks strange.

Performance and resource management? I have two gaming machines, an old laptop that used to run eve at max settings and rock and roll, now it overheats, and we're pretty sure it's the memory and not the graphics that's the issue. In Incursion, it had no issues running a single client on minimum settings (Multiple clients --> more memory use --> overheated and crashed laptop). Idling in CQ on minimum settings now crashes it.
My new machine, built specifically for running multiple eve clients, used to experience only mild slowdown with three windowed mode clients on max settings (12 GB ram ftw). It now experiences significant issues with two clients in CQ at the same time. I don't think the graphics are the issue (or, I don't think they're the biggest issue), I think CQ is just a massive memory hog. Reminds me of the old 'bloatware' moniker for microsquash products.

I've noticed some slowdown in space, and while I only skimmed it, the gist from the dev blog on fighting lag was that it would have more stuff happening client-side, less happening server side. Result? Less lag in massive fleet fights, but makes the game harder to play on low-end machines, even if you don't have to deal with CQ.

The noble exchange... yeah, wtf? They said something about not wanting to inflate plex prices, which this was almost certain to do; maybe their way of preventing that was to make the stuff so expensive that no one would buy it, thus avoiding the spike in demand for plex.... and wasting everyone's time, particularly the developers.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2011, 08:58 »

Also notice that factions standings tab in 'show info' shows the relationship between the factions again.  Was that in the patch notes?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:15 »

Also notice that factions standings tab in 'show info' shows the relationship between the factions again.  Was that in the patch notes?

Yeah, that's a big important feature, new to incarna! You can see people's faction standings!

. . .  :bash:

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:21 »

Seems to be NPC inter-relations only right now...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jun 2011, 15:50 »

I remember when CCP were cool. /nostalgia
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #54 on: 22 Jun 2011, 16:39 »

Fucking awful expansion. Almost every feature is broken in some way. Could have been fixed by a five-minute glance at the forums and a couple of weeks delay.

There's literally no excuse.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jun 2011, 16:43 »

Fucking awful expansion. Almost every feature is broken in some way. Could have been fixed by a five-minute glance at the forums and a couple of weeks delay.

There's literally no excuse.

The turrets are nice .___.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #56 on: 22 Jun 2011, 16:46 »

I fly a Tengu.

And of course, you know that the only truly useful, well-thought out, well-designed, bug-free feature of the expansion is the one they spent absolutely no time advertising, talking about or drawing any attention to whatsoever.

Mixed Metaphor's active roster doubled in under 24 hours? Why yes, new Recruitment system, that sounds lovely.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 16:49 by Andreus Ixiris »

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jun 2011, 17:27 »

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #58 on: 22 Jun 2011, 17:28 »

I play Eve on a MacBook Pro that's a couple of years old. The graphics chipset has never been really stellar for it - I could run the premium display content when it came out, and it's good for basic PvE. The character generator made the poor thing cough and fall over, though. I had to use it while drinking, ignoring the 1-2 FPS framerate, to create the new Shin.

That said, I've been worried about this expansion. True to my expectations, my laptop can't load the CQ at all. No biggie. However, I noticed a huge improvement in space. Fraps shows my framerate hovering around 50-60 for moderately busy areas, dropping to about 45 in a cluttered mission. Pre-Incarta, I was seeing around 25-35, so I'm pleased as punch with this. The new turrets look awesome, and they work well for me on the laptop.

Some of you may know that I'm in the process of starting a business. As part of that, I bought a new Mac Pro with an ATI HD 5770 with 1GB video memory. This is the first time in about 20 years that I've had anything resembling a hot video card. I set up boot camp & windows on it, and set up Eve, and I've got to say I'm really impressed with the way things look on it. The character generator is finally a pleasure to use, and I can keep my character settings (and the rest of the graphic settings) high all the time.

That said, the CQ is still a pain in the ass. Movement within it is clumsy, and I hate the look of it. It looks more like a lounge in a maximum security prison than the sort of place a wealthy (and we're all wealthy, right?) capsuleer would spend time. I realize that this is just the start of the walking in stations thing, and that CCP are probably simply using this as a large scale test of their engine. At the same time, it's really hard to see the value in it, and I'd really rather be able to go back to the old, utilitarian station interface.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 22 Jun 2011, 17:37 »

(and we're all wealthy, right?)

Not after buying the monocle and shirt, we aren't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6