Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Incarna 1.0  (Read 9888 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Incarna 1.0
« on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:13 »

So it's up. Thoughts?

I hear the monocles cost 4 PLEX and the Mac patch doesn't work (needs the full DL). The former bit sort of ruins it all for me.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Incarna 1.0
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:34 »

So it's up. Thoughts?

I hear the monocles cost 4 PLEX and the Mac patch doesn't work (needs the full DL). The former bit sort of ruins it all for me.

There is no expense to great for proper taste. 60 dollars for digital eyewear is a comparative bargin. Obviously it is only meant for pilots of truly superior breeding, we must keep out the riffraff and what what. Right ol'chap?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:45 »

Mmm, that eyepatch only cost 12,000 Aurum?  How, pedestrian.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:53 »

And yet no cane with which to strike the urchins who scamper underfoot!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:55 »

And yet no cane with which to strike the urchins who scamper underfoot!

It had best cost at least 80,000 aurum. We wouldn't want any of the peasantry getting their hands on it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:04 »

It's ::facepalm::

They don't understand their own business model ....

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:13 »

Let's see. Monocle or 4 months of game time? Hmm....

Ciarente

• The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:17 »

1) introduce microtransactions for vanity items, thus annoying a lot of players (not me, I add, but the forums showed a lot of people really didn't like it)
2) make the items you can buy hideously ugly thus ensuring they have limited appeal
3) set pricing at such a ridiculous level that only a tiny, tiny minority will even consider purchase.
4) wonder why you are making zero extra profit at the cost of annoying the crap out of p. much all your subscribers
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:22 »

1) introduce microtransactions for vanity items, thus annoying a lot of players (not me, I add, but the forums showed a lot of people really didn't like it)
2) make the items you can buy hideously ugly thus ensuring they have limited appeal
3) set pricing at such a ridiculous level that only a tiny, tiny minority will even consider purchase.
4) wonder why you are making zero extra profit at the cost of annoying the crap out of p. much all your subscribers
5) ???
6) PROFIT!

What could go wrong with this plan?  :psyccp:

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:31 »

Doesn't really bode well for Dust 514, does it?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:42 »

Happily, as far as performance goes, I'm not getting the trouble some people are reporting on the forums and for whatever reason my in-space frame rates have improved noticeably for me on my m11x.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:51 »

I've got a funny perspective on this, 'cos I'm in the process of doing my own MMO and I'm also planning on a microtransaction model.

It's tough to do microtransactions right, but the most successful implementations make the game free, with premium vanity items. Games like EQ2 (back when I played it) mostly sold things like furniture and fancy clothes to players, and people made extensive use of this. At the opposite extreme are games like Battlestar Galactica Online, where anything is available for player purchase, including fancy weapons and experience modifiers. There's a pretty large outcry about that from players who are (quite rightly) stating that there is no real incentive to actually level your character, when you can simply buy your way to an end game character.

In Eve's case, they seem to be chasing the vanity item model, but they're doing it in a weird way - we all still have to pay our regular subscription, and then we are allowed the privilege of purchasing vanity items. It's fine,  suppose, from a game balance point of view. They're not selling anything that I've seen which allows new players to buy their way into being skilled ones. However, since they're still charging a premium price for subscriptions ($14 a month is not cheap in the MMO world), and since they also allow isk purchases (which allow people to buy things like t3 ships and officer mods with real world cash), I'm a little surprised that they're charging so much for these vanity items.

Then again, we're addicts, and I presume people are buying these things. God damn the pusher man...

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2011, 20:16 »

As I said on the relevant EVE-O thread, while there are some choices by CCP I've disagreed with in the past, this is one of the few that I honestly have no clue whatsoever how it was rationalized by CCP. Maybe it's these delightful quotes from CCP that confuse me more:

[ 2011.06.22 00:00:44 ] CCP Zinfandel > The Looking Glass Ocular Implant (right/gold) is fairly expensive. It's also a machine being installed into your eye and one would not want to buy a cheap version of something to go in your face.

(For the record, I can buy 2584 "Limited Ocular Filter" for this price, assuming said filters cost 500k each)

[ 2011.06.22 00:04:15 ] CCP Zinfandel > Hello Kyle - we have been talking about the prices regularly in here. There are expensive items in the shop. Noble Appliances Corporation opened these shops particularly to target the wealthy capsuleer community.

(screw you poor or moderately-wealthy types! We only care about our filthy rich customers!)

Incidentally, I hope we're all aware that the ability to opt out of CQ (presumably by turning the "load station environment" button) is going to be removed at some point in the future?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2011, 20:20 »

Incidentally, I hope we're all aware that the ability to opt out of CQ (presumably by turning the "load station environment" button) is going to be removed at some point in the future?

I turned it off because my beast of a computer goes into some sort of jock-alpha-male mode, going "AWW MAN A GAME I'M PUMPED, TIME TO RENDER THIS AS NOISILY AND AS HOT AS POSSIBLE", even if it actually only takes minimal GPU processing to do so. I go into the starmap and it quietens down instantly (2x GTX580 in SLI btw). I believe it is shoddy optimizing on CCP's part.

Ciarente

• The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2011, 20:22 »

yeah, new computer, top of the line, ran 4 clients without blinking, now a single client has it running at OMGI'MWORKINGSOHARD - with settings at minimum.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6