Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Author Topic: Concerning the Evelopedia info leak  (Read 1432 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Concerning the Evelopedia info leak
« on: 27 Jun 2013, 16:57 »

Hey people,

For those of you who've made edits on the Evelopedia; I think there's something you should know.

In case you were wondering what all my fuss in OOC was about last night: I was the one that stumbled upon the potential Evelopedia info leak, and I wanted to make sure this was handled ASAP, and I think you'll understand why if you know what I discovered. CCP says it's ok if I talk about it now, so...

While I was checking if another bug on Evelopedia had been fixed, I noticed that edits done under my character's name instead now were referred to my EVE account username.
I send a mail to CCP security, then asked Saede to confirm the issue, as I couldn't believe this was real, and thought I might have derped somehow, but she confirmed it, so I decided to make sure this was handled ASAP.
I got into contact with a CSM and basicly asked if he could check if CCP was watching the security inbox at the time. After I told him this was about an account info leak he rang some bells and CCP escalated and flagged the issue.

So long story short, if you've done any edits on the EVE wiki and your EVE account username is used in other places, you might want to consider changing that.
-OOChé

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Concerning the Evelopedia info leak
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2013, 17:20 »

Fortunately the issue seems to already be fixed, and the wiki is back up and looks to be working fine again.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2013, 19:22 »

Good catch, Che. I hope you were well rewarded, because that could have been a serious issue.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2013, 08:35 »

One can change one's account name ?

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2013, 12:07 »

Nope. But you can probably increase entropy, i.e. the very least check that you haven't reused the account name/password pair, just in case something gets broken into.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2013, 12:40 »

We should make an image series called "Good Guy Che"

Thanks for discovering this  :cube:
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2013, 06:01 »

I was rewarded well enough for my standards, but I was not filthy rich to begin with. The reward nearly doubles my EVE wealth.

What happily surprises me a bit, is that I made a similar thread like this on EVE GD, but it barely caused a ripple. It must have helped that I did not use a spectacular panic inducing thread title, and I guess there's not a lot of wiki editors out there.
I feel happy the way it played out. I did my "duty" trying to inform those that I thought needed to know, and it didn't cause a shitstorm for CCP.
-OOChé

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2013, 20:51 »

We call that a Win-Win.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2013, 13:49 »

Just an additional FYI: If I did not try to poke CCP through a back door, the mail would not have been read for like another 10 hours.
Contrary to what some believe, the CCP security mail is not being watched 24/7.
-OOChé