Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That greasy, deep-fried Caldari takeout food is eaten with tongs and remains popular in the Federation?  (The Burning Life pp 40,41)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Public Records, CONCORD, and You  (Read 6980 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Public Records, CONCORD, and You
« Reply #30 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:43 »

It seems likely, but we can't really know unless someone sees him in a pod or PF mentions it. There are non-capsuleer ships in the game, after all - there's nothing to stop them from having named ones.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:49 »

Technically, I don't see why someone couldn't be a baseliner in space with access to the comms interface through *insert technobabble handwave here.*

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:57 »

Mechanically all ingame characters are agents, or capsuleers. A few happen to be both. Mostly pirate faction officers.

Mechanically, if they appear in a chat channel, and say they're not capsuleers, they're lying.

Or DUST characters.

I was specifically agreeing with PF characters such as Heth. Not player characters. Yes, all player characters are capsuleers.

I don't know about Heth, but Sansha Kuvakei appeared in chat channels, and in space, flying a ship.

He's a capsuleer.

There's a couple other examples, I think.

Asias Urazmie is another example.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:58 »

Technically, I don't see why someone couldn't be a baseliner in space with access to the comms interface through *insert technobabble handwave here.*

For players? The combination of fiction and mechanics is just overwhelming. One by itself has to be ignored for various things, but it is simply obvious that every player is intended to be a capsuleer. Obviously, there have been those that try to create characters that aren't. I hope they have fun with it, but that's too strong of a YDIW situation for me to really participate. Same with characters that are supposed to be sixteen or some other such nonsense.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2014, 13:03 »

For players, I agree absolutely. I meant for an event actor.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2014, 13:06 »

For players, I agree absolutely. I meant for an event actor.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood. Topics crossing in mah brains.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:00 »

Like SlaveTama, SlaveHeavenbound, etc, Master Kuvakei as the character was flying capsuleer ships in the Sansha invasion event series, iirc.

As for is "Master Kuvakei" THE Sansha Kuvakei... I guess ? Or through a Sansha proxy ? Making him at least indirectly a capsuleer ?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:39 »

Like SlaveTama, SlaveHeavenbound, etc, Master Kuvakei as the character was flying capsuleer ships in the Sansha invasion event series, iirc.

As for is "Master Kuvakei" THE Sansha Kuvakei... I guess ? Or through a Sansha proxy ? Making him at least indirectly a capsuleer ?

Veering off topic, but I believe Mr. Sansha has the space magics tech and can basically embody any ship he damn well pleases if enough of his networked servants or SanchaCo. tech are on board? I don't think the man really relies on a physical 'body' any more except for publicity's sake.  Think capsuleer clone jumping on steroids.

Back to topic:

Use the capsuleer 'bio' to share things you want to share without having to explicitly tell everyone you meet 'im 5-9 and weigh this much and these are physical descriptions and a bit of background' etc.

I use the bios sometimes as what a cursory search by another capsuleer would probably come up with.  If I were a 1%er financially and power-wise here on Earth and I wanted to know info about another rich person 'x' I could throw (for me) small money at the question and have a dossier rather quickly materialize, all the investigating and hacking and whatever done by people I don't care about doing the thing for a paycheck.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2014, 19:30 »

My issue with the CONCORD records thingy in the character bio is less about them existing but more about who wrote them. Honestly speaking, I thought it was a bit egomaniacal to write one's own CONCORD record, which is why I do not bother. I always figured that I should let others judge my character than doing the judging myself.

And on that note, I really should take some time to update my character's bio. There's tons of revisions I think I should do. Mainly on the part regarding Clan Egivand and Elmund's history.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 28 Oct 2014, 21:33 »

My issue with the CONCORD records thingy in the character bio is less about them existing but more about who wrote them. Honestly speaking, I thought it was a bit egomaniacal to write one's own CONCORD record, which is why I do not bother. I always figured that I should let others judge my character than doing the judging myself.

And on that note, I really should take some time to update my character's bio. There's tons of revisions I think I should do. Mainly on the part regarding Clan Egivand and Elmund's history.

I think doing your 'own' bio from another's POV is a great exercize in changing perspective. How would concord view your character? Your home empire? The teeming planetside masses?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 29 Oct 2014, 00:08 »

I think this is part of why I think people often stick to more basic, factual information - X years old, Y tall, Z hair color, etc. It's neither egomaniacal nor creates any kind of particular pre-interaction judgement to just list some basic info.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #41 on: 29 Oct 2014, 00:47 »

I think doing your 'own' bio from another's POV is a great exercize in changing perspective. How would concord view your character? Your home empire? The teeming planetside masses?

CONCORD would probably think that my character is a bit of a lying piece of crap, considering that he has gotten negative sec status but always claims that it was all self-defense by way of shooting notorious evil flashy pirates first. But I wouldn't write in the character bio that CONCORD classifies the character as an insane notorious lunatic who needs to be shot down at first sight.

How am I supposed to back that? I had just dictated how others should treat my character and I consider that as a roleplaying no-no.

(Also, planetside masses' opinion on Elmund? Probably along the lines of 'Who?' considering that the Matari do not really care too much about one's capsuleer-ship. You can't use the status to get a free cup of coffee in Hek, and neither can you use it to jump queue.)
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 01:01 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #42 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:50 »

Mechanically all ingame characters are agents, or capsuleers. A few happen to be both. Mostly pirate faction officers.

Mechanically, if they appear in a chat channel, and say they're not capsuleers, they're lying.

Or DUST characters.

I was specifically agreeing with PF characters such as Heth. Not player characters. Yes, all player characters are capsuleers.

I don't know about Heth, but Sansha Kuvakei appeared in chat channels, and in space, flying a ship.

He's a capsuleer.

There's a couple other examples, I think.

Asias Urazmie is another example.

I think most NPC pilots are non capsuleers. Those Pirate rats you shoot are full of people, either screaming in pain and fear as your weapons fire penetrates the hull and decompresses the interior, or perhaps jumping into some kind of non Goo filled escape ship/ capsule.

Present day pirates in Somalia are essentially a swarm of destitute and desperate people that take over whatever ship will hold them all, and point rocket launchers at potential victims over the side. I imagine NPC ships are the same. Perhaps some slaves or homeless escaped from the station where they were being sold, flooded onto a battleship and undocked. Perhaps these are the 'gangbangers' that Jace was looking for.

From what I know, player pilots are capsuleers that undergo training before they get their license. I'm not sure if these licenses are granted by CONCORD or not. I seem to remember Aura, and the training session being conducted by the Insurance company. There were also the agents in the newbie tutorials.

As far as the fictional game world, I see no reason why an untrained, non-capsuleer crew member couldn't simply kill the capsuleer in a mutiny and hijack their pod.

Yes, it's true that 'not everyone can do it', there's the possibility of mind lock and so on. However, if your choice is either certain death as an anonymous red shirt, or a sliver of a chance that you could be a powerful, wealthy and famous immortal, why not take that chance?

CONCORD records for each capsuleer would likely exist, but they would be compiled from a record of in game data transmissions. In the case of an outlaw such as a Blood Raider, there is likely the option to scramble those transmissions so that CONCORD can't decode, or even recognize them.

Since our clones don't have the exact same genetic material that we ourselves do (for some bizarre reason,  :psyccp:), it's conceivable that a Blood Raider could pull identity theft by downloading their mind into the body of an Amarrian loyalist.

The mind of a Blood Raider could be inhabiting the body of Amarrian loyalist, allowing him to pass retina scans, fingerprint and voice print identification and so on. This would allow him to fight in faction war without arousing suspicions (other than his tendency to preach Sani Sabik of course). It might be an explanation for Karsoth too. 

I see that 'clone jack' is a rank we can achieve here, much as I have become a 'wet graver'. Is it possible to 'hack' the mind uploading technology to allow the mind of one person to inhabit the body(ies) of another? There is at least one chronicle about identity theft.

As for those outlaws that DO have CONCORD records? Well, we can assume that we would only be reading those because we (the readers) are members of CONCORD ourselves.

Some outlaws, such as Blood Raiders, are by habit well practiced in 'security culture', skulking around in shadows, spreading disinformation, and keeping everything secret. A Sani Sabik in the Empire would be very much in the closet, since the consequences for their friends and family if they were discovered would be harsh indeed.

Other outlaws, such as the Guristas or the Angels, are arrogant, defiant and outspoken rebels that just don't care what others think of them. That includes CONCORD. A well publicized criminal record might even help to spread their infamous name and instill fear in potential victims or enemies. This is why traditionally, marauders such as Attila the Hun would slaughter everyone in a village except for one person, who was released to spread the news to the surrounding villages.

Consider that a Gurista pirate wants an ISK bounty or the loot from their victims, whereas a Blood Raider wants to keep your body as livestock to drain blood for sustenance. A robber relies on fear and intimidation to extract what (s)he needs, but a predator must capture their target unaware.   
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 23:04 by Jikahr »
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:03 »

Most capsuleers can't jump into bodies too different then their own, they get horrible body dismorphia and other bad side effects. Don't have the pf link on hand. So all your clones are basically physically identical.  There are a few cases of this not being the case but extremely rare.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 29 Oct 2014, 14:01 »

Most capsuleers can't jump into bodies too different then their own, they get horrible body dismorphia and other bad side effects. Don't have the pf link on hand. So all your clones are basically physically identical.  There are a few cases of this not being the case but extremely rare.

This. That was discussed in at least one Chronicle, but I don't recall which one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5