Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minmatar politics  (Read 4284 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Minmatar politics
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2011, 00:02 »

Yes, Seri, the Republic has/had a Parliament because it received a lot of assistance at its founding from the Federation.

"The Gallente had a dream, and they called this dream democracy," said the Ambassador in his speech. "This dream was given to the Republic in its infancy and held to be the right and true way for a civilized society to govern. We now stand in the shattered remains of this dream with one unavoidable truth facing us: democracy has failed."

It so happens that having a shared polity has some good points, especially when it comes to relating to the other "empires", so there's no need to tear that down while it's useful to us. Behind the "Minmatar Republic" brand, however, there's been radical reorganisation.

I assume that tribal structures have "always" run alongside the Parliamentary structure in the Matari state, and are in many ways the more "real" structures. Tribal leaders may well have been prime candidates for election to Parliament, or they might have been chief among the people certain MPs reported to, much as if the MPs were diplomats for their tribes and sub-tribes.

[At a disturbed session of Parliament:] Few of their queries were answered, with tribal chiefs generally stepping up to quieten down their respective members

I'm not sure if we've heard much about the condition of the Parliament for two years, so what follows is my impression.

- A Parliamentary session has been called quarterly, as required by law to approve the budget.

- The tribal assembly got itself a bit tied in knots over the Thukker and Nefantar processes for selecting "chiefs"/representatives, and I don't think we've heard anything since then. I assume it meets and talks a lot.

I assume Mata would know a lot more about it than I do. (It seems to suffer from Abandoned Storyline Syndrome.)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2011, 07:02 »

A number of parliamentarians, particularly of the Sebestior and Krusual tribes, have increasingly complained about the virtual suspension of the Parliament by Sanmatar Shakor.

While the Sanmatar has not formally dissolved Parliament, which would trigger elections under Republic law, he has relied on a strong government majority in Parliament to limit voting sessions to those strictly necessary to run the Republic.

I guess that's the key bit. So is the institution of "Republic Parliament" completely redundant then? Is it just Tribal Assembly? Should they rename Minmatar Republic to something else?

Don't normally get a bit peeved about PF inconsistencies with other, non-Fed factions, so well done :P I guess I'm quite into the Gallente-Minmatar relationship, the idea of "democratic peace theory", and probably getting subconsciously irritated that CCP might be downplaying their alliance. I like to think they've got a shared set of cultural and ideological values (anti-slavery, focus on freedom etc.), as well as ties in terms of immigrants, that makes the alliance strong, compared to a weak "partnership" the Amarr-Caldari have.

Again, some content writers have the above in mind, others will be happy to break off alliance concepts and have each of the 4 empires stand out on their own (I don't think Abraxas even knows what the Gallente government even is, for example)

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2011, 15:14 »

So is the institution of "Republic Parliament" completely redundant then? Is it just Tribal Assembly? Should they rename Minmatar Republic to something else?

I don't personally see why the Minmatar Republic having "republic" in it's name should require it to actually be a republic  - except for being appealing in its neatness. I believe there is good contemporary precedent for countries' names not reflecting their current form of government. Especially when there has been a recent change of power. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]