Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Author Topic: [News] Cultural Friction Turns Minmatar Refugee Ghettos into Battlegrounds  (Read 1339 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

New news item with, I think, a lot of interesting stuff in it:

http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=4106&tid=3

Some of it is a re-hash of things CCP has put out there already. It's interesting the degree to which this implies being part of a tribal structure is almost necessary to functioning within the Republic.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Political power rests within the Tribe.

Without a tribe, what political power do you have?

The Republic is a fascinating thing.  8)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!

I am disinclined to reaffirm or dissuade a position based on an intellectually curious but morally confounding political structure.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Isobel Mitar

• Egger

\o/ Lovely news item.

Some rambling and theories about Minmatar society follow:

Some of it is a re-hash of things CCP has put out there already. It's interesting the degree to which this implies being part of a tribal structure is almost necessary to functioning within the Republic.

I see this as being quite logical, actually, given how important clans and tribes are supposedly to the Minmatar. :)

Being part of a tribe makes you part of the society, maybe? Given the constant influx of freed slaves I expect there would have to be some officials whose duty is to handle the affairs of the clanless and tribeless, but I also imagine that the focus would be in helping them find clans and tribes, in order to become part of the society. Nefantar and Starkmanir do not have an established tribe to join, so they must present quite a dilemma to the system. :)

I personally suspect many of the things us "western" people see as govenrment/state functions come actually thorough tribes, clans and contracts to Minmatar.

As an example, in the Gallente Federation the basic default (in absence of a will) might be that your childred inherit your property. In Minmatar Republic, I'd expect your clan's customs define who inherits you (and whether you can even make a will that is legally binding or not) - and the Republic would have no say in such matters unless someone decides to raise a fuss and Republic officials get called in to mediate/ajdudicate. ("The dead person murdered one of ours, your customs may say all his property goes to his mother to use as she sees fit, but our customs dictate his estate first pays us blood money!")