Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

as Emperor, Doriam Kor-Azor changed the name of the fourth planet of the Kor-Azor system to Eclipticum and its moons to Black Viperia, Griklaeum, and Kileakum in honor of the champions who won him the throne.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amarr Holderships  (Read 3082 times)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Amarr Holderships
« on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:45 »

Given the use of slaves I always pictured a holdership as operating like a plantation from the pre Civil War south here in the states, but after looking at the Scriptures it makes me think they operate more like a feudal system of serfs and such with the slaves probably being the lowest on the totem pole. So I'm curious as to how those of you that RP as holders actually run yours.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Amarr Holderships
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2011, 13:06 »

I have toyed with writing a more detailed description of one form of the Amarrian feudal system based on encomienda and haciendas, presuming a similar system might have prevailed in those regions heavily populated with Minmatar (the modern Republic before the Rebellion).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2011, 13:35 »

Various kind of slaves in the Empire.

Labor slaves, working in masse in industries, farms, ships, whatever. The most subject slaves to vitoc treatement.

Personnal slaves, acting like servants mostly.

Some slaves with time can also get at respectful job positions (administration, concellors, whatever).

Some other are maybe used as canon fodder on the battlefield too.

I think you can find a lot of different situations, in which case the relationship between the Holder and his servants will change.

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2011, 13:45 »

I understand the different types of slaves, but I was looking for more of how those that have planet side estates actually view them.

Ken the hacienda/encomienda idea looks really neat. I'll have to read on those a bit.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2011, 15:29 »

Labor slaves, working in masse in industries, farms, ships, whatever. The most subject slaves to vitoc treatement.

This is incorrect. (ref.: Vitoc (Chronicle) http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Vitoc_%28Chronicle%29 )

Although the more conventional ways of subduing slaves with force (actual or threat of) are still widely used in other forced labor areas, the Vitoc method has proven itself admirably for the fleet.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2011, 17:25 »

Unfortunately, we don't know exactly being a "holder" entails. Hold slaves? Perhaps; it would certainly seem to be the most obvious answer, but I doubt the only one. What about territory? A Holder cannot exactly house slaves or run a business of any kind without property to operate on. What about holding arms? This would certainly be an effective means of preventing a "commoner uprising".

Anyhow, a discussion for another time. I frankly think the Encomienda comparison is a very good one.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2011, 17:47 »

Unfortunately, we don't know exactly being a "holder" entails. Hold slaves? Perhaps; it would certainly seem to be the most obvious answer, but I doubt the only one. What about territory? A Holder cannot exactly house slaves or run a business of any kind without property to operate on. What about holding arms? This would certainly be an effective means of preventing a "commoner uprising".

That's actually close to what I was hoping for. Do you view it as  just a rather large house with a separate one for your slaves or as more of a small self contained town or village with a place for slaves and loyal soldiers/guards but also places for a butcher, baker, and candlestick maker.?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2011, 19:36 »

Empire slavery has always seemed to me as being lord/serf style where the lord has a bit more totalitarian authority. The ability to trade slaves is a bit more power than the typical lord/serf relationship, however I think the dynamic would be similar after this many generations. The lord of the house/land/etc... has to maintain control of the serf population via various means; the choice method seems to be (this is opinion) via religious indoctrination, with a side of power and occasional fear mongering.

As for estates that I've ran, it's very much a self-contained community/town/city. Slaves are given their orders by foremen who are slaves themselves that have earned a certain status from service/loyalty. Doctors have been bought, dedicated to the treatment of their 'brothers in bonds', everything from deskwork organizing a small 'department' to cleaning toilets to security is covered by the slave population. Outside access is restricted without clearance, and typically painted as the surrounding area would likely try to take them away from their families if they aren't careful (causing a dependence on the estate for fear of losing their loved ones).

I think the best way to describe the method I use would be to loosely refer to it as a feudal commune; a single 'ruler' or ruling family that looks out for the interests of the whole commune as a singular entity, but the ruler/ruling family still answer to another [distant] authority as well as being the 'face' for interacting with the other entities (whether they be other communes, individuals, corporations, etc..). Obviously, there are benefits to being the ruler/ruling family, and there are benefits/consequences within the commune to 'following the rules'/'being bad' (highly over-simplified, but the idea is the same).

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2011, 20:31 »

Silas doesn't concern herself with how the very bottom rungs of her social world operate, there's an army of subordinates to handle that kind of thing. Peasants/servants/slaves in particular are so low on the social respect and concern meter for her that it's borderline insulting / waste of valuable time to even bother to think about it.... hence her usual derision on groups like SPCS and the other amarrians 'whining' about slavery issues or concerns.

I would imagine Imperial/Kingdom holders of a certain amount of wealth running vast swaths of property on several planets would be quite removed from a lot of administrative/day to day operational issues, and most likely not even be aware of a lot of the nitty-gritty.

For example I'm sure the King of France in the 1600's didn't have the foggiest idea about the details of how his 'house' was run, as far as servants / peasants were concerned. There were staff trained for those sorts of things, to manage and keep things running smoothly, and the top Royalty generally tended to concern themselves with big policy issues.  Servants or how the household was run would only be an issue when someone screwed up.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:19 »

I understand the different types of slaves, but I was looking for more of how those that have planet side estates actually view them.

Ken the hacienda/encomienda idea looks really neat. I'll have to read on those a bit.

Personally I preferr an approach that is inspired by the traditional depiction of roman slaves that were 'integrated' into the family household in regards to slaves that have direct face to face contact with my character.

Regarding planetbound slaves you might want to give the second eve novel a read (the burning life).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2011, 06:55 »

This is incorrect. (ref.: Vitoc (Chronicle) http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Vitoc_%28Chronicle%29 )

Although the more conventional ways of subduing slaves with force (actual or threat of) are still widely used in other forced labor areas, the Vitoc method has proven itself admirably for the fleet.

This was unprecise more than incorrect, but whatever.

My point was to say you can imagine infinite kinds of slave/master relationships, depending on the job the slaves are doing, their position in the house, etc. I find it quite weird to want to generalize everything and put them into one big labelled box.

Though the examples quoted above like encomiendas are interesting ofc.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:33 »

Farel is correct, it really comes down to how you want to play it and what would be more interesting for you. There's such a wide variety it's generally up to personal preference.

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:51 »

Farel is correct, it really comes down to how you want to play it and what would be more interesting for you. There's such a wide variety it's generally up to personal preference.

True. I was more curious about what you guys did or how you played em out in your heads. Thankd for all the input guys. :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2011, 13:22 »

This was unprecise more than incorrect, but whatever.

My point was to say you can imagine infinite kinds of slave/master relationships, depending on the job the slaves are doing, their position in the house, etc. I find it quite weird to want to generalize everything and put them into one big labelled box.

Though the examples quoted above like encomiendas are interesting ofc.
[/quote]

Well, whatever way you turn it it's still incorrect according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary ( ref.: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incorrect ).

-

Anyways, I'm glad we could answer your question Ember :) imo it's important to keep in mind that there are most likely billions of slave owners in the empire (and elsewhere too!), thus its possible to run into pretty much every kind of owner/slave relationship we know of irl.

And most likely many, many more.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2011, 13:29 »

That's actually close to what I was hoping for. Do you view it as  just a rather large house with a separate one for your slaves or as more of a small self contained town or village with a place for slaves and loyal soldiers/guards but also places for a butcher, baker, and candlestick maker.?

I believe that the smallest "holdings" we've seen in PF is a minor lord who held the equivalent of a POS (albeit locked behind accel gates in a deadspace area, not at a moon). This is interesting because it suggests that Holdership is not land-bound (a significant alteration, when you think about it) but can include space installations as well.

With that said... what a Holdership would look like might vary increidbly widely between different regions, systems, and even planets. A Holder's territories in the Kador families' traditional areas - known for displaying "the strong, majestic Empire of old" - might be more seperate, insular, and lofty to demonstrate the difference between the lordly Holders and mere commoners. Here we might see more fortress or palace-esque holdings, with commoners having to enter this world (and have it made quite clear to them they are in the domain of someone far superior to them). A holding in the Tash-Murkon region, on the other hand, might be optimized far more for effiency, with commoners living intermixed with the lower-tier Holders so as to make everything run more smoothly.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2