General Discussion > Moderation Discussion

What the poop.

(1/11) > >>

Lillith Blackheart:
Ok.

Look. I said this to a mod in a PM, but I am going to say this again and publicly where people can see it.

While I completely understand what it is you people are trying to get away from and the reason behind the separation from Chatsubo -- and trust me, I do completely understand, I have moderated many a forum in my day, and am well aware of what happened there -- you people need to take a deep breath and relax.

First of all, getting a PM asking you to not use harsh language (and I am not going to get in specifics because I am not questioning moderation on a specific instance but as a general whole) because instead of saying "I disagree with X" you said "I think X is incorrect", which means exactly the same damn thing to a T is nonsense.

Secondly, you're locking a thread on and off at random times when the thread isn't even heated. It is a simple, calm discussion about a topic which may be sensitive, but both sides of the discussion were very calm and neither was being nasty. They were simply offering their opinions and substantiating them.

Listen to me here, because I have moderated many forums and administrated many forums, and I currently am an admin (the primary one lately) on a forum that is designed for "family friendly fun" and therefore is far more strict than most...

You are going to kill off your userbase.

There is a point where you go from trying your hardest to limit sniping and pissing matches to be crushing any effective discussion because the slightest remark that could be viewed as inflammatory, whether it was viewed as inflammatory by the posters themselves, garnered a kneejerk response from one of the moderators and they shut it down.

At the same time I am certain you are going to quote the FAQ from me, I am going to pre-empt that by posting from it myself.

Here you go:

--- Quote ---Q: Doesn't being polite to people I disagree with make me a hypocrite?
A: No. It makes you a grown-up.
--- End quote ---

Does this apply only in the aspect of people having to be all butterflies and honey with people or does it also not apply to people being able to have a grown-up discussion about a topic that may be a bit sensitive?

You can politely disagree about a sensitive topic, and the Amarr Bloc thread has been doing that fairly well.

I politely disagreed with someone in a thread and was told to not be as aggressive.

I'm sorry, but I think that perchance we might need to form some consensus on what "polite" is, because I think some people think "polite" is being calm and rational and not rude, and some people apparently think "polite" means gumdrops and lollipops.

So how about you span out a bit more what that is in the FAQ instead of just saying "It's subjective, deal with it." Because you say people should be grown-ups, but then turn around and take away their lollis like they're three year olds.

If you want people to be grown-ups, treat them as though they are.

Editted by indirect request. :)

Casiella:
Dunno about specifics because apparently I missed it, but I would say that this particular post strikes me as very angry and hostile and not the sort of thing this site wants to promote.

Lillith Blackheart:
It is written bluntly strictly to make the point more evident, but I assure you it is neither angry nor hostile. I am very calm as I don't have any sort of emotional or psychological stake in the forum as a whole.

Action me if you feel so motivated.

Casiella:
Hey, I'm just saying. :) While I didn't have you in mind at all, this does sort of point up the issue that Cia and I had brought up in the thread about the possible new "trolling" rule.

Lillith Blackheart:
The subject can be editted.

I don't really care. If it would make people happier I'll gladly do it. I can even take the entire two F-bombs out of the post, too. They were more habit in speaking than anything.

Edit: And done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version