Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Why Did I Come Back To EVE?  (Read 11484 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Why Did I Come Back To EVE?
« Reply #105 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:59 »

Mizhara:

I believe it is discussed somewhere that clone brains are, themselves, artificial: a sort of bioelectrically-active gel that can be imprinted into a particular brain structure as needed. I forget where; it's been nearly a year.

Regardless, the clonejack is a verified "thing that happens." See, e.g., One Man Too Many." The details are mostly important in working out the nature of a person who could gain such access: the options range from a fairly conventional identity thief (the implications of which are horrifying) to an organized crime or governmental agent or client of same.

That would be the Cloning scientific article, which is what I was referring to in my posts.

http://community.eveonline.com/backstory/scientific-articles/cloning/

The shape and quantity of the artificial brain matter is based on earlier brain scans, and the molecular receptors are quantum linked to the burn scanner in the owner's pod. So the process of clonejacking by hijacking transmission and transferring into one of the clones in their facility would be very difficult, requiring direct sabotage of the clone to swap out the brain matter for something matching your own and quantum linking the receptors to your own scanner.

The example of the chronicle you linked is most likely what I was referring to as the easier method in my post: copying a person's appearance as one of your own clones and masquerading as them, rather than cloning into one of their clones. In the One Man Too Many chronicle, the original person is still very much alive and kicking.

Source explicitly states that one can change their clones to look like anything, even another race and gender, so simply making a clone that appears like someone else is really the easiest way of going about it.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2014, 11:02 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #106 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:02 »

I would expect that kind of thief to be easy to detect, with brain patents/biochips or even brain unique patterns imprinted into the clone itself as a certification of one's own identity. Not very hard to do.

I meant as capsuleers that can afford the most outlandish of replacements for basic consumer tech, similar to the special editions mentioned in that very article. (Which by the way basically describes a smartphone for all intents and purposes. You'd think they'd get a little further than that this many thousands of years into the future.)

Some RPers have tried to go 'further than that' in the past and got absolutely shit on by everyone else for creating tech that is not in PF.

It's always a difficult issue... It depends a lot of the tech and its implications, I guess. The same way that the bigger the scale of the thing your world build, the bigger the chance for people to react negatively to it.

More or less put simply, it's always best to find the most harmless concepts and especially the concepts and ideas that do not really step directly on someone's toes.

When in doubt anyway, always better to ask before. Unless you want to keep it secret, which becomes problematic...

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:03 »

Source explicitly states that one can change their clones to look like anything, even another race and gender, so simply making a clone that appears like someone else is really the easiest way of going about it.

Perhaps it is a perspective thing, but this has seems to have even more interesting possibilities as far as development goes for me - having to handle the other person being out there somewhere.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #108 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:04 »

More or less put simply, it's always best to find the most harmless concepts and especially the concepts and ideas that do not really step directly on someone's toes.

In the case I am thinking of it affected absolutely nobody else and was just a huge case people YDIWing them.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #109 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:06 »

Now that is incredibly interesting, Aria. It also heavily torpedoes a metric fuckton of stuff I've written over the years on neurology and augmentation. Shit. Welp, the non-Sansha networking just went down the crapper, but that's not too much of a loss given that it's been in stasis for a very long time anyway.

Back to winning Eve and fantasizing about rawring all the slavers I go.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #110 on: 21 Sep 2014, 12:05 »

What is it about Ari and/or her history that requires such work to explain a change of direction? Where is she and where do you want her to go?
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #111 on: 21 Sep 2014, 13:52 »

Restored from a backup.

Backup made by Unknown Party (not necessarily by Aria, or with her knowledge), for Unknown Reasons, at an Unspecified Point in Time.

Also, memory editing. A capsuleer brain scan can be held as data, and examined by psychologists (reference to this in the amarr epic arc missions). If it can be held as data, then flip a few 0's to 1's and so forth.

Ta-da. Use all your skillpoints, with a PF-accurate mode of resurrection, and an initial Quest - find the identity of the Unknown Party and their Reasons.
\o/

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #112 on: 21 Sep 2014, 20:01 »

Core question is whether due to something going wrong you could keep skillbook learned abilities while losing personality and personal memories.

I think the answer has to be yes from a basic practical point of view. Otherwise there is no way to explain character transfers from one player to another IC.

Could even lump it into capsuleer dementia rather than going the clonejacking route.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #113 on: 23 Sep 2014, 13:44 »

Nanites.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #114 on: 23 Sep 2014, 13:56 »

Space Magic.

You spelled it wrong.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #115 on: 23 Sep 2014, 15:09 »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #116 on: 23 Sep 2014, 21:06 »

Core question is whether due to something going wrong you could keep skillbook learned abilities while losing personality and personal memories.

I think the answer has to be yes from a basic practical point of view. Otherwise there is no way to explain character transfers from one player to another IC.

It's worth noting that there are plenty of real life examples of brain damage doing tremendously weird things to people. Personalities and opinions changing dramatically, even though memories that would have formed personality traits or opinions were left intact. People gaining new habits or compulsions, sometimes even things they are horrified by but cannot prevent themselves from doing. Personal memories being wiped while learned skills (speaking secondary languages, mechanical skills) etc were left intact.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]