Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why Do You Play the Character You Play?  (Read 4426 times)

Shiori

Re: Why Do You Play the Character You Play?
« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2013, 06:31 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

That made me roll Caldari back then. When I came back to the game properly, with RP in mind, I had this 10M or what character that seemed at that point like a waste to sacrifice. Incidentially I saw the picture again and made the same decision. Reading up on lore bits confirmed the general vibe the character creation offers, and lo, here I am, still adoring the shit out of that image.

I have to admit, the "eff you, we've got martial disciple and man-portable railguns" factor of that very image was the big initial draw for me as well.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2013, 06:42 »

Mithfindel was originally created to look as closely to look like a specific Elven character I used to play. Then at one point I figured that lasers were cool, so I biomassed the mostly-undeveloped character and rolled the Amarr Mithfindel. And then at some point I biomassed the Amarr Mithfindel and returned to Intaki.

My first actual "playing" character was Gallente, can't remember the faux-French name any more. I discovered that I really did not like Gallente ships, so biomassed and rolled an Amarr. Actually, Khanid with a Latin name. Guess what I did with this character when I did learn more about the fiction? (Hint: Starts with a 'b')

For a few years, played exclusively Amarr. Serious altitis, somewhat many accounts, eventually burned out as a few friends started to drop playing the game. A few of us had Caldari alts, to try something else. Alt to main turn. Axel is a kind of a play on being a Civire cog in the machine forced out of the machine.
Providing the backbone to the Caldari Empire the Civire are cool, levelheaded, and relentless in their approach to either trading or fighting. Civire can handle pressure extremely well, an invaluable aid in combat or other stressful situations.
This ties to what Aseyakone is and what Axel's role in the corporation is. Even while I readily admit that it was crap and unbalanced, I liked the RMR era character creator for its depth. Axel's ancestry and schooling would be Civire - Mercenary - STI - Business - Management - CFO.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:18 »

For me, Aria is a look in the mirror darkly. Through her, I explore and experiment with ideas, possibilities, and tactics without fear of personal consequence. In her, I can see reflected the same evils of which I, myself, am capable-- and the outlines of those of which I am not.

She is not "me," but she is of me, somewhere between a shadow and a conscience, both the angel and the demon on my shoulder.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 12:03 by Aria Jenneth »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:35 »

Basic idea about Gaven is the question of what would it take for a person who is well educated and reasonably intelligent to outright believe in the Amarrian agenda and be taken in by it hook, line, and sinker. I wanted someone who was fundamentally sound of mind but from a habitus in which the only rational choice was service to the Empire. I wanted him to come across as effectively alien to a modern world view, but completely self assured in his own understanding of the world.

He has evolved from there, of course, nine years of events will do that to a character, but that is the basic concept.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:53 »

When I decided to start using Kala to RP, I had a specific role in mind for her. I didn't want her to be a blood crazed Amarr hater, an embittered, vengeful ex-slave or and ardent supporter of the Republic.

I just wanted her to be normal. One of trillions of Minmatar who just live normally in cities, farms, villages, stations etc. To do this I gave her a background in agriculture where she lived with her extended family and had little contact with the :space: side of Eve.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:57 »

This is a really good topic... haven't seen this question asked often, if at all.

I started playing Havo as an anti-hero.  I've always loved characters who were trying to do good, but were relatably flawed in a realistic sense.  For example, Vic Mackie on FX's The Shield.  When I started digging into Eve's PF and really reading about the history between the Empire and the Republic, the Amarrians and the Minmatar, I thought, "Wow, there's a lot of room for a hard-edged good guy in this!"

Then, when I started to dip my toes in the RP arena ingame, and more on the IGS, I saw folks like Ushra'Khan and Electus Matari pretty much had things sewn up as far as the "good fight" to free the slaves, but there wasn't much of the anti-hero about what they were doing at that time... so joining up didn't really come into all too much.  I think I made an inquiry about putting my corp into -EM- around the time Eva was their HMIC, but for a number of reasons that didn't happen.  Which was better for me and the direction I eventually took Havohej.

As I got more involved and more engaged with the RP thing, I wanted something to differentiate Havo from the rest of the Minnie-bloc.  I found that something in opposing the political line of the Republic (which U'K were also doing to some extent).  This is before Sanmatar Shakor, of course.  I decided that, while her choices were most pragmatic given the Empire's military superiority to the Republic which was largely fractured by inter-tribal tensions, Havo would see her as vacillating and perhaps weak, lacking in conviction.  Someone who's not ever going to 'die' might have precious little sympathy for the baseline soldiers/crewmen involved in space warfare or planetary conquest.

So that part was sorted out.  Then I had to decide how he would conduct his opposition to the status quo.  Who he'd be, how he'd act.  Finally, I decided to go more anti than hero... a mix of Michael Corleone's cold, calculating ruthlessness in achieving an objective (which, to him, were always 'the right thing' or otherwise somehow justified) - actually, not a mix at first.  At first, Havo was just the Thukker Tribe's answer to Michael Corleone.

Over time, as I found myself/him embracing worse and worse outlets to express his worldview, and taking a more piratical path to ingame pvp, his outlook started evolving quietly into a less altruistic and more violent one.  Here came the mix-in of Heath Ledger's Joker, as explained by Alfred... "Some men just want to watch the world burn."  His reason here, if one could call it this, is bitterness and rage.  Being a capsuleer ain't all it's cracked up to be.  He's lost touch with what it was to be a baseline human in his years of murder and rampage, sometimes for a good cause, sometimes for ISK, sometimes because he just doesn't know anything else anymore.

There's certainly a 'human-ish' thing inside off his psyche, but it's small, battered, abused and neglected.  He's a much deeper character than I really let on through his RP, which is somewhat as intended.  I've said often that he really doesn't care about the slaves or the Minmatar people, and he doesn't.  When he started, he did, but now... it just doesn't matter anymore.  Combat is the only time he really feels alive, and he'll do almost anything to get it.  When the 'almost' drops out of that phrase will be the time I consider selling him and buying a comparable toon with the ISK, because that will be the point in which he is basically unplayable as a PC for me.

Fortunately, that's a ways off, yet.

I could go into more of the IC background that pushed him in this direction, but my blog will be back up Soon™, so anyone who cares will just have to read about it then.  ;)

EDIT: After reading Aria's comment, let me add this little bit...

"Little angel, go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
You promised I would find
A little solace and some peace of mind
Whatever, just as long as I don't feel so
Desperate and ravenous
So weak and powerless..."

There's a bit of that in why I play Havo the way I do, let him develop the way I did...  He's kept me from venting my aggressions in a more destructive way.  When I was 19, I vented through fist fights and armed robbery.  Now, at 31, I vent through violencing space boats.  It's better this way.  :yar:
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 12:05 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #36 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:13 »

Steffanie actually developed a lot differently than I had intended.

When I finally gave in and agreed to join EVE, I really had no knowledge of setting, the history, or much else other than I knew it involved flying spaceships.  Now, Steff wasn't exactly my first character.  I made a Minmatar, hopped into the game and went through the tutorials.  My friend directed me to OOC and The Summit, joined those channels and lurked in there for about three to four days, just observing.

I hadn't come up with much of anything with the Minmatar, so playing around with the character gen, and finding the ideals of the Federation appealed to me.  Thinking that I'd try doing a hedonistic, vain pirate with 0 $#%* to give type of character, I built Steff.

That's when things went differently.  Since I was still testing the waters RP-wise, Steff went from being extroverted to being a lot less self-confident and outgoing.  Then I started coming up with why?  Why was she like this and started going through her back story.  After getting some prompts from my buddy and suggestions from other people in the game, Steff morphed to what she is now.

Along the way, after reading more on Gallente's past, combined with Arthurian impression I had gotten, decided to try doing a space-knight instead of space-pirate.  Going to be hard, but I'm having a blast with it, and at the end of the day, I am far more happier with the way Steffanie went.  I think I might have been able to handle a somewhat shallow character for only so long before I moved onto something else.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Corso.Verne

• sons of liberty
  • Clonejack
« Reply #37 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:40 »

Oh God, that is a big question. I don't think any of my answers will be in any way adequate, but I will attempt to get as close as possible.

Zark

Zark did not start out as a RP character. Hence the Gallentean in an Amarr FW corp (and Fweddit, no less!) and the name chosen to be reminiscent of that sort of campy sci-fi faire a la Buck Rodgers or Flash Gordon. I quite literally stumbled into Summit. I think I saw a link to Backstage on a list of unofficial Eve sites, and joined the channel on a lark to get a measure of what I'm dealing with. I can't RP with bad writers, and most MMOs are filled with them, but thankfully the Summit community has proven to be a refreshing exception.

So I chose Gallente for mostly aesthetic and personal reasons, and realized right away that I didn't want to play the average Amarrian religious convert or the type of hard-ass that would work as a mercenary for the Amarr for any length of time. So I took five or ten minutes to work out an acronym, and Z-ARK was born. And then promptly crashed and burned. My bad.

So it was back to the drawing board. Almost immediately, I latched onto this idea of the writing I had done as Z-ARK being a product of conspiratorial machinations, that way I wouldn't have to just straight retcon (I hate retconning) or play a character that was either batshit crazy or an idiot or both. I'm very relieved that I did make this change, honestly, because it allows me to explore the idea of being "Gallentean" while still maintaining this whole cyborg-story and believably retaining a faith in God while not being automatically super pro-slavery and socially conservative. Maybe one of those things will progress naturally, but it won't be a requirement to believably play a convert as it normally would be. I like that, I like freedom. Mainly because I never know what my characters are going to do or say, most of my writing is fairly automatic.

Felix

Felix was actually the first character I built for Eve RP, even if he is the most recent character to have been created in game. As much as I find the sort of high-tech society with distinct governments in the way that the Federation and State possess compelling, the idea of more ancient social structures somehow surviving to space flight in these pseudo-civilizations has always been the biggest draw to the Eve lore for me. Even though my heart is always with the Federation and its probably the empire I would personally want to be a citizen of, the Amarr/Minmatar dynamic is just so unique for a hard sci-fi setting.

As far as the choice of Amarr, I've always always always been fascinating by spirituality, in all its forms. And even though I find the concept of ancestor spirits to be filled with a lot of potential, the idea of not only a monotheistic God but a kind of mean monotheistic God was just too good to pass up.

I was actually extremely trepidatious about my decision to make my first RP character nobility (or alleged nobility, for all you constant-skeptics out there). One of the more fascinating aspects of Amarr culture to me was their government, this feudal court system spanning regions of space. I wanted to have been involved in that in some point, even if in just a minor capacity. And by the time I had gotten that far, Felix had been formed in my mind enough that the anti-slavery viewpoint just naturally progressed. It wasn't until I was almost finished with conceptualizing him that I realized "Oh my God, I've made a Mary Sue."

I don't think Felix is a Mary Sue, but I kind of suspected that I thought that because he was flawed in ways that I was aware of, but hadn't really gotten the chance to communicate to others just through Summit. So I realized something was missing, and when I finally started playing Dust 514 it kind of clicked. Playing a pacifistic noble under constant house arrest would probably have gotten boring, nothing to do but pontificate in channel. So the idea that his form of quiet punishment by his family would be forced enlistment in the mercenary program just made sense the first time I thought about it.

So here he is, an Amarrian with heretic-sensibilities, forced to kill Minmatar and Gallente forever. I'm hoping that dispels the odor of the Sue sufficiently.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 12:46 by Z-ARK »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:52 »

Silas was my 2nd character, the first was a Caldari gentlemen I played for a few weeks getting to know the game, spending some time with a small industry corp.  Decided to re-roll Amarr due to aesthetics and (lasers).  If I remember correctly this was during one of the times Amarr ships were undisputed -awful- at everything, and were looked upon as extremely SP intensive for little return on time investment.

But... laz0rz.

Silas was not created for RP, and I had no RP experience or knowledge that there was a community for this in EVE.  I was roaming around doing my solo NPC corp thing with 0 in game friends and was recruited in Khanid Local by a loyalist RPer Hitomi Ayame, who was the leader of the Royal Knights of Khanid, one of the first Khanid RP groups.   Got hooked, started creating backstory which changed a few times, and was a proud Kingdom Loyalist for many years.

I really enjoyed the idea of playing as one of these tyranical, awfully racist, haughty, superiority complex, ultra-conservative Kingdom Loyalists. The Kingdom PF just was incredibly interesting for me.  I enjoyed the idea of having a lot of friction with the Imperials, who were still dealing with two disastrous emperors in a row ending poorly, and a power vacuum at the top of the chain.  Being a conservative IC let me be a rabble-rouser for countless "lapses" in judgement displayed by other 'loyalists' from fraternization with enemies, unbecoming conduct, etc.

I attended my first big RP event, one of Revan Neferis' big parties during these early times, and things progressed from there towards the heretic side.  Many of you know it was a very shallow Sabik closet towards the end, but it was an extremely deep closet for a good long stint of my RP career.   

I didn't know which way I would eventually go, but I made sure to leave enough breadcrumbs over the years that I could point back to for justification if I did convert, which worked out well.

If I look back honestly at it I think it was because I just had much more fun RPing with the more criminal RPers.  I think I saw a lack of conservative Amarr groups to latch onto that were really carrying that torch, most of the Amarr RPers (IMO) around back then were not acting like I imagined Amarr characters would be (soo many liberals!), and I didn't want to be associated with that basically.

Anyway RPing this sort of character is a fun escape.  I've done well in the game and I've used it as fuel for the character's attitude. 

There is very little of this pretty reprehensible and awful character in me as a person, although who wouldn't want to run a secular power cult of personality with thousands of worshipers now and then? :P

But that's the fun; I can run off and occasionally pretend to be a mass murdering psycopath who is steadily losing touch as the years go by and she becomes more isolated with power, and then log off and hang out with the wifey and friends and play records :)

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 12:55 by Silas Vitalia »

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jun 2013, 13:01 »

I've played a few characters over the years, but only two really stand out: Shin and Dakki.

Shin's my original character, back from when I first bought the game (in a box, no less!). The manual mentioned smuggling, and I thought that sounded cool, so I rolled Shin to be a smuggler, with no real intention to RP her. I made her Gallente because the manual also talked about attributes and how they apply to skills, and that smugglers rely on charisma-heavy skills. The pure Gallente bloodline had the best charisma, so I thought "Score! This will give me a leg up on things!" :lol:

10 years later she continues to be relatively skill light because of that initial mistake. 72 million SP is a nice number for a non-cap pilot, but most 10 year old characters typically have twice as many.

In any case, I started playing around with RP when the Lame Ducks started publicly shooting Gallente miners. I thought "Shin's Gallente, would she stand for this? No! She would not!". There were a lot of really vitriolic threads on IGS reflecting the various wars and conflicts. I was starting to envision Shin to be sort of a Joan Jett in space (yeah, I know...  :roll:), so I wrote up those initial fights in a very tongue-in-cheek, humorous way - we didn't have a lot of information about Gallentean culture, but there was a short story with a very suave, "Ha-ha, only serious!" Gallente trader that I drew upon.

During character creation I'd given Shin an Immigrant background, because I liked the starting skills and attributes. Combined with the lack of Gallentean backstory, I decided to make Shin come from a pocket culture. Sort of the Eve version of someone from Guam or Sicily. With the Immigrant background in the Federation, I assumed there'd be a lot of those (luckily I was right!). That gave me a lot of leeway for creating her backstory. I drew pretty heavily on some of Bruce Sterling and C.J. Cherryh's writings, and came up with a backstory of her being from this relatively recently discovered asteroid colony, left overs from an earlier genetic engineering program.

While I have made a couple of OOC choices for her (joining O-SYN, etc), most of what she's done since then has been largely driven by her. I'm often surprised by the choices she makes. It's a little like writing fiction, where the writer will sometimes be surprised at what their characters end up doing.

Now Dakki, on the other hand, is a more recent character. I'd known quite a bit more about Eve's backstory (though there still wasn't much of it at the time), and I wanted to try out playing an Intaki from the Syndicate. I made him an exchange student, to justify the fact that he started out in the Federation, and an artist. The main thing I wanted with Dakki was to portray what I realistically thought a Syndicate Intaki would be like - combining the traditional Intaki culture with a hard "playing for keeps" attitude. Unfortunately, while I did RP him heavily for a couple of months, he's pretty inactive now. I have a hard time playing alts, plus his lack of SP really limits what I can do with him.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jun 2013, 13:15 »

I want to reply fully to this topic later, but I really really just want to say right now that I got an immense amount of enjoyment out of figuring out that Silas was "in the closet" just by reading between the lines of the character's posts on the IGS and filling in the dots, even before he came to me to ask about having Morwen perform at Silas' "coming out" party.

Being able to figure that out entirely through IC means was an absolute blast, so, many thanks for that.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2013, 13:23 »

I want to reply fully to this topic later, but I really really just want to say right now that I got an immense amount of enjoyment out of figuring out that Silas was "in the closet" just by reading between the lines of the character's posts on the IGS and filling in the dots, even before he came to me to ask about having Morwen perform at Silas' "coming out" party.

Being able to figure that out entirely through IC means was an absolute blast, so, many thanks for that.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:26 »

I started Eve in late 2006 with a handful of SWG friends - and we were all omg why did we start so late ?/o\. I would really like to say that Lyn - my only true RP character, even if my alt does a decent RP hidden NPC behind her - was fleshed out seriously and coherently with a first premise and strong idea behind, like most of my characters tend to be usually. Of course, it is quite the contrary. I started playing mostly as a trial more than anything else, and was not really sure what I was going to do ingame. We sure thought to start looking for RP fast enough, but when I created the character I did not have that in mind. I had to make a choice between two things : cosmetics and playstyle on one hand, and gameplay attributes on the other hand. I strongly hesitated between Amarr and Minmatar ships when I started - and I started to really appreciated all the other designs later. So I eventually created an Amarr test character but I really hated energy management. I decided to roll up Minmatar instead, even if their frigs and cruisers (in the first engine) were fugly, except maybe the rifter. Because yes, we started with 900k SP and they were all specialized for the chosen bloodline and race.

When it came to choose the bloodline, and since I wanted to do a combat character, people told me to go for max perception and willpower, which I discovered later that it is not true at all for combat, you just need all except charisma. So, the only choice really was Brutor. I was not pleased at all by the lore behind, but what the hell, I took it. Grave mistake or not ? I don't know. But it eventually made me go look at the Ammatar side. So, we started in a little laid back corp where I learned the basics, and then we decided to launch into RP, at least in actions. I had absolutely no clue of the universe besides the general facts 101 about every faction and the timeline. The first thing we saw were the two biggest RP alliances of that time fighting in Providence against each other, Ushra'Khan and CVA. Since we were sligthly more inclined toward Amarr (for similar reasons than Samira) except myself with my dirty Minmatar, we picked the (right  :bear:) side, CVA, but it could really have been UK as well... So in the end, we went to live in Providence and eventually joined Aegis Militia.

It is mostly in my time in AM that I learned most of the things I learned in Eve. We were not even 1 year old and already part of the leading body of a nullsec vassal alliance of CVA, so we had to learn pretty fast, and we were really motivated. We saw the end of the fight against UK and took part, and then settled our own constellation. The first hints at what my character would be started at that time. Reading lore articles after lore articles and chronicles, I stumbled on the Ammatar quite easily. It was the perfect solution for my character, and rolled up with it. That's the only thing my character was at that time.

Near the end of our corp and our time in AM, we had to restructure and rethink our corp in emergency not to collapse completely. Being essentially a corp with a strong intelligence flavour, we looked deeper into the lore (almost went loreception) and found the SoCT. Direct hit, and we started to live in Kitzes and talk with enigmas. Or not. Anyway...

That's where all the troubles began for me. Lyn started to get so many conflicting layers of different factions that I got a headache that lasted for several years before being able to eventually sort all of this out. I had to play a Brutor character with that damn slave child ancestry (max perception and willpower -_-), and I am so glad that this ancestry thing is not shown anywhere publicly, or I would be pretty screwed. Adding to that the Amarr loyalist side. Then the SoCT allegiance lying behind. Anyway, my character remained extremely quiet in the first years, learning, listening, like I was, while I was also trying to figure out what to make of her.

It's mostly when I went to Solitude in the gallente loyalist fragmented side - they were pro Blaque, and I can tell you that the guy was slightly different before TEA - and that's where I mostly fleshed out the whole base behind Lyn : the little bookworm princess that didnt care at all for her demented mother of a Holder. The rest was done after in FW, and then in KotMC when I started to seriously get into actual social RP rather than just action RP (at last, I told myself after a few years).

Eventually that is the reasoning behind :

- I eventually noticed that a single faction was too much a constraint for my character with so many contrasting influences. So I eventually made her more detached. The Amarr were only the logical step for her after graduating as a capsuleer. It has then turned out to be a big strength as well as a terrible flaw. A strength because it frustrates the hell out of people to debate or discuss with people they have a hard time to put a label on. A flaw because you rarely get completely included in any group, and often lack a true loyalty to defend and have to find justifications. At first people have never really been able to tell that she was anything else than an Amarr loyalist (liberal), but I started to drop little hints of her true affiliation, especially while in KotMC.

- Why Amarr otherwise ? Because the feudal modern Amarr is something I find fascinating. I have always tried to emphasize on the modern side, where the Amarr do not live in a medieval society anymore, but a contemporary one like all other factions.

- Usually I play various characters coming from all corners, very different from each other, and this time it happened that Lyn got closer to me than the usual lot. Maybe due to the realistic side of the game, or politics. Or maybe for various coincidences. Playing an innocent naive bookworm was the original concept and it never really changed over time: it remained the thing red line that I always followed. A good amount of layers were added above what basically was her childhood and the core of her persona, starting with the Ammatar noble uptight upbringing, the SoCT HyCon completely fucking her education up, resulting in most her deficiencies and strengths to be totally reinforced to the point it became a hyperbole. Then the capsuleer history made the rest, the upper layer that you just have to scratch to see what lies under. The CVA PaxAmarria-CONCORD loyalties, the anti pirate stuff, etc. Things that have faded a lot since she left FW, and especially since the last events where CONCORD look like incompetent fools. Not a bad thing, provides drama, RP, and makes me get rid of one of her numerous personas.

- Why a noble ? To the point of becoming an Ammatar "holder" (<- please CCP, find a word for those someday...) when her mother dies ? The Holder thing was a big bet, since we had no clue at all on what nobles the Ammatar had. Actually I am pretty surprised that my bold move on that one managed to stay true to the Canon when CCP added the concept of Ammatar slave owners. I got lucky I guess, considering half of the other Amarrian vassal bloodlines. The Holder side basically strenghtened her vulnerability and her upbringing at the time, though now maybe I would have done differently. It also offered my a levy to deal with against Amarrian ultra conservatives, because honestly, I did not want to spend my time constantly playing the underdog while playing a scholar concept.

- I also wanted conflict all along. I wanted a tortured soul, that was inherently weak, and not inherently evil nor good. Lyn started like a sensible, promising young child with huge curious eyes that craved to learn about pretty much everything. I had to add something to make her actually want that, and make all of this believable, so I rolled up with the ultra conservative family not caring the slightest about her and a demented mother that only cared for her legacy, on a remote planet where nothing of interest happens. And I played so much with the idea that her entourage had to be only a shadow of itself, derelict, in Derelik (hurrdurr). It gave her incentives. All in all, it was a good start for a paragon character and I often toy with the idea of what Lyn would have become without the SoCT intercession. Probably a model of a liberal Holder like the spiritual child of Heideran and Midular or something. Then she went Macaper, or almost. Because it's funnier that way, of course, and the HyCon was the perfect answer to turn all this bright side into a completely fucked up grim personality: her genuine inspired curiosity turned into a hollow addiction to knowledge, her creativity turned into agitated random thoughts (like a torrent of incoherent ideas making sense only to her), her strong and endearing timidity turned into a complete asocial marginality, her naivety turned into jaded cynism, and being aware of her difference and the gap between her and normal people made her all bitter in the inside. Eventually, HyCon turned the natural balance that was inside into a twisted, chaotic unbalance.

- My idea was to not have a character fallen out of grace, but actually in a more or less state of grace at the contrary, with underlying tones of fake and insecurity. Lyn is hard to discuss with when reason is involved, but Lyn is also full of cracks that provide a glimpse of her true emotional self dating back to her childhood that she tries hard to hide under a shell of cold logic. Somehow, I eventually looked for a character that has turned into a total waste of potential, who could have become someone great, and has instead become something hollow, albeit sharp and keen for the sake of SoCT.

- Besides letting breadcrumbs about her true affiliation in the past, a bit like Silas did, I also usually try to let here and there hooks for people to actually pierce through the impenetrable shell surrounding her. That's something that often motivates me to play her.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #43 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:54 »

This is a really good topic... haven't seen this question asked often, if at all.

Thank you. \o/

I'm loving the various answers.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #44 on: 19 Jun 2013, 19:09 »

I play Ché because he provides me with entertaining RP. I never quite know what will happen next, or where he's going, even though he never went through radical shifts. That keeps him interesting for me.

His characteristics are based on mine, some are distorted, magnified or decreased, or have evolved over the years.

A theme that appeals to me is that Ché (or his dominant side at least) is pretty much out of place in the grimdark cluster of New Eden.
-OOChé
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4