Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why are Achuran part of the state?  (Read 6392 times)

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
Re: Why are Achuran part of the state?
« Reply #30 on: 03 Aug 2011, 22:52 »

I vaguely remember something from the Caldari graduation arc about the Achur being angry with the Federation Navy for not doing enough to either prevent the Rod of the Creator incident or investigate it after the fact. Is it possible that the mission text (referenced in the wiki linked above) originally referenced the Federation Navy instead of the Caldari Navy? It wouldn't surprise me if that had been changed at some point.

Or I could just be remembering wrong.

In any case, to me the inclusion of Achura in the State has always seemed like a simple mix of location and mentality. A reclusive, spiritually minded people may simply have decided that the Federation's rowdy, participatory government was too much of a distraction. The State government seems like it will work and it's conveniently located, so why not?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Why are Achuran part of the state?
« Reply #31 on: 03 Aug 2011, 23:19 »

Im not sure I see the controversy. 

Take one description of the Achuran male:

"The Achur male is reserved in deeds and manner and is a master of disguising his own thoughts and emotions. Never rash or impulsive, he likes to meditate on every decision of importance. Compassion is not alien to him, but his tendency to look at the bigger picture makes it easier for him to sacrifice short-term gains for long-term benefits."

This guy would do quite well in a corporate, conformist, collectivist environment that emphasized a sort of ruthless pragmatism, stoicism, cultural purity and competition. 

Just because they're spiritual doesn't mean their automatically benign, simple or harmless. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3]