Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why all the faction navies the same? (down with monolithic navies)  (Read 3716 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Just now I have been discussing how the functionings of the four factions seem rather Earth-like and really don't utilize the sci-fi setting very well. For example, the Federation is described as a rather paper-based democracy, yet, this is the future, why don't they have an electronic system with instant referenda and so on? They likely do, it's just CCP doesn't outline it. Similarly, I thought the four navies was something that needs to be looked at. Why does each of the four empires, as unique as they are supposed to be, all have these standing militaries that are near-identical? Let's take a look at the Asari military described from Mass Effect...

The asari military resembles a collection of tribal warrior bands with no national structure. Each community organizes its own unit as the locals see fit, and elect a leader to command them. Units from populous cities are large and well-equipped, while those from farm villages may be only a few women with small arms. There is no uniform; everyone wears what they like. The asari military is not an irregular militia, however; those who serve are full-time professionals.

Boom. This is unique, and reflects the asari culture. The four navies just seem to be arbitrary creations (mostly for the sake of game mechanics) without actually utilizing the cultures they are born from.

Minmatar - The Republic Fleet was likely a Gallentean creation, but I say ditch it. Ditch all the "Republic" elements. Instead, their military warriors would come from the Tribes as and when needed, and do not have a standing military.
Caldari - Why exactly do they have a Caldari Navy? I'm sure someone can provide a decent reason why, but it just makes better sense that the CEP drafts joint fleets from the eight megacorporate paramilitaries for collective operations. This reflects Caldari culture of uniting against an enemy where and when needed.
Amarr - Their navy should composed of a cabal of True Amarr professional officers, who oversee what is mostly a slave military, with highly experienced slaves who have been in the business a long time being petty and warrant officers. The latter are not really treated as 'slaves' as such in this respect. Alternatively, have the Amarr Navy just be a smaller military arm of the Emperor's holdings alone, and rely heavily on the House militaries. The idea of "The King's army leads the regents' armies".
Gallente - A professional standing military, as "the average Gallente citizen is not inclined to join the military". It would resemble what we have now.

Instead, we just seem to have this rather dull Amarr, Caldari, Minmatar and Gallente Navy with really nothing that makes them different and truly reflect their factions. All the governments are different and unique, but the militaries are samey. In effect, the Amarr is a feudal state, yet has a monolithic navy. The Caldari are a confederacy of corporations, yet have a monolithic navy. The Minmatar are a collection of tribes, yet have a monolithic navy. What do people think?

[/rantover]

EDIT re: Amarr

Amarr is supposed to be feudal, yet according to the Privy Council page on EVElopedia

The Imperial Navy's strong ties to House Sarum and unswerving loyalty to the Imperial Throne, together with the enforcement of the Heideran VII edict against personal fleets, have seen its power increase tremendously.

Centralized power with monolithic fleets is bo-ring and unoriginal...!
« Last Edit: 11 May 2011, 19:41 by Seriphyn »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

You post all this like you expect to wave our hands hand have CCP fix the PF

The game is the way it is, posting this sort of stuff won't change anything. Go post in the features and Ideas forum on the eve-o website, or the Eve Fiction forum.

Like...what do you want us to do with this? There's nothing to discuss, or debate, you're making a statement for the sake of it. Yes its well written and put together...but there's nothing we can do about it. I could say yes I agree, or no I don't and we could debate the way it should be all day, but that's not the way it is.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.

I think it is actually a pretty good point. True as Nikita says we cant do much to change it, but it would be fun to see what people think about how the navies should or could be.

Seriphyn makes a good case for how they could be and I tend to agree with it now that I'm actually thinking about it. I do think that even if put the way Seriphyn describes them each empire would still have a standing navy of some sort albeit a bit smaller one for rapid response while the larger forces from the empire in question muster.

I'd say the reason  :psyccp: did it the way they did is to give players a easily recognizable place to go for "kill" missions.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

Caldari - Why exactly do they have a Caldari Navy? I'm sure someone can provide a decent reason why, but it just makes better sense that the CEP drafts joint fleets from the eight megacorporate paramilitaries for collective operations. This reflects Caldari culture of uniting against an enemy where and when needed.
A few of us who play Caldari interpret the PF to mean this very thing already.

The Caldari Navy exist because it is not economically beneficial for each of the 8 mega's PMCs to maintain fleets and squadrons of battleships, just so the State has a composite Navy on par with the Federation or Empire.  If each of the 8 PMCs maintained a significant number of Battleship squadrons, the State would likely have invested more in total than by funding a Battleship squadron heavy, CEP overseen navy.  The centralized navy can also act as a corp around which composite battlegroups are built, eliminating/minimizing infighting over things like chain-of-command when facing an outside threat.

In other words, I think there is a general lack of PF with regard to how the Navy's are actually different from each other.  It is easy to paint them with the same brush, but very possible to also develop their nuances based on surrounding PF.

Kaleigh Doyle

In my opinion, from a top-down perspective on the military structure of the major empires, and based on New Eden's interstellar landscape, certain 'realities' just make the most sense in terms of efficiency of structure. If anything, I think the military structures would largely depend on the kind of technology at their disposal, what they consider a 'fleet' (unit compositions) in space. Now, given that the empires seem to be largely on par with one another technologically, it's not much surprise that they appear on the surface to be similar.

I think where they probably differ significantly is in their military culture and traditions. What is their perspective on war or combat action? What mottos and codes do they stand for in battle? How do they honor their dead?

From their overall culture and the nature of their vessels, you could extrapolate various ideas. For instance, since the Minmatar seem to prefer speed and generally have to make due with little resources, one could infer they prefer recon strike forces and rapid deployment strategies, with an emphasis on avoiding the loss of valuable ships. Or maybe their 'fight to the very end' attitude would lead them to prefer a suicide impact to take as many with them as possible. One could also infer that their generals are the kind of individuals who are resourceful and quick thinkers that can adapt to rapidly changing scenarios, who prefer whittling down superior forces through attrition. (You could just make this shit up..)

I do disagree strongly with the suggestion that slaves would be used in the Imperial
Navy. A professional military, especially as grand and old as the Amarr are going to be a well respected fighting force of experienced servicemen, not a ragtag band of reluctant conscripts. Also, from what I understand, each house has it's own military in addition to the Empress. The implication being that even the Emperor could be overthrown if he/she becomes too unpopular with the existing heads of family. (something Dune-esque there) I'm guessing the military would also be the easiest place for a commoner to be recognized by higher castes within the Amarrian government, and a stepping stool for potential heirs and sons of holder families to build some notoriety. Given the nature of the Amarrian religion and how embedded it is in its society, one could venture a guess they would be rather fervent (one could also say zealous) in their duty, probably akin to the Minmatar's "live free or die" philosophy. In that vein, one could see how their generals would employ in large numbers to intimidate their foes and inspire fear, with an emphasis on brute strength to send their message.

The Caldari, well I like that their Navy is separate from the megacorporations. It seems to be an institution designed to cross boundaries and remind everyone that, while they may have their corporate allegiances, they are all caldari in the end. To that end, I could see many fresh military types starting there, and later moving on into the private sector after their term is up. Maybe, and probably especially with the implementation of the Provist government, joining some branch of the military is probably necessary at a certain age for a certain number of years. Considering how much they push the electronic warfare and technological superior angle, I'm assuming this disruptive technology is utilized to generate confusion amongst enemy fleets, to allow a smaller but more capable fleet to dismantle larger ones. And while their institution may be a lot newer than the Amarrian one, the quality of their officers are probably better because there's not such an emphasis on position/family background to concern with. Of course, the Provist thing may have changed everything...now I'm sure only the most fervent of stooges get promoted while those less than inclined may get the cold shoulder...or worse.

The Federation's democratic government and cultural emphasis on 'enjoying life and its pleasures' seems to line up pretty well with their difficulty in recruiting and keeping a professional military, especially during peacetime. The preference for AI drones and automated systems also makes a lot of sense to minimize casualties and make sure that the local senator doesn't get too much slack for supporting the war with casualty numbers. I also think you'd see a larger population of women in active service ( i know there has been a lot of debate over this subject, but I think the sexes play different roles in different cultures). Also, given the way their culture promotes creativity and freedom of expression, (going out on a limb on this) they might be more inclined to try new fleet maneuvers or gamble on an instinct. But given the state of their new war, I think they'd be playing conservatively and defensively, which is probably a new situation for them as they've mostly been the aggressors.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

My writing for my own heavily EVE-inspired roleplay setting might help a little here. I can ramble for a long time about it though, so I want to check people are OK with that first.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.

My writing for my own heavily EVE-inspired roleplay setting might help a little here. I can ramble for a long time about it though, so I want to check people are OK with that first.

do eet :)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

It is good to remember that while on the surface, the Amarr are a theocracy, but in a bad moment, they're essentially a military dictatorship. The Imperial Navy must be strong enough to keep the Heirs in line, or to be exact, it must be strong enough that its mere existence stops any single heir sending an upside-down Amarr symbol and seceding from the Empire. For a more familiar setting to Seriphyn, why didn't the British Empire just keep a small navy and trust that her dominions send the bulk of the ships? And yes, while the Amarr do employ slaves in many duties, it's not such of a gimmick that slaves must be employed everywhere. A loyal descendant whole grandparents were slaves, for example, might motivate the now-slaves into loyally getting blasted to bits, knowing that one day, their descendants are free.

For Caldari, I think the matter has already been discussed a bit, and I do agree with the other posters - the CN is the "grand fleet" as well as possibly other formations that must remain corporate-neutral (even if not all CN formations are truly neutral within the state), and on prolonged campaigns (see Caldari Prime) it'll need considerable external help.

Minmatar copy the Gallente. Plus have a good number of spaceship guerrilla bands and tribal and corporate militaries. The Republic Fleet might be the biggest out there, possibly challenged by the Thukkers, if they weren't dispersed all around the place, and again possibly the Elders' fleets. The combined number of the smaller outfits (Defiants, Freedom Fighters etc.) might also be considerable.

Gallente had trouble hiring people from the armed forces. The pay is terrible, the service might be, you know, kinda hard. I bet they do have a whole lot of mercenaries and activist nutjobs around there. And the Navy might use a whole lots of mercenaries - sorry, private military contractors - to do the things it doesn't have manpower to do. The Navy is still an arms of the Federal government, and thus is relatively big, with funding very likely increasing due to current political situation.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger

Some people have already talked about this one a bit. But, don't forget to ask who would make a good 'neutral' rolled-up newspaper for the CEP, and maybe CBT, to bap a couple of megas on the nose if their shadow games and feuds started to get too rambunctious.

"We said the two of you need to cool it."

Edit for the Minmatar: I think if anyone suggested reducing the Republic Fleet, they'd be asked if they want another Day of Darkness.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 04:14 by Kohiko Sun »
Will work for pretty sig.

Kazzzi

• Egger

I always figured the Caldari would use a lot of private military contractors.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

I always figured the Caldari would use a lot of private military contractors.

Those who don't have their own militaries use PMCs, including the corporate police forces. The megacorporations, however, use their own, unless the mission demands things like plausible deniability or they absolutely have to (it is faster to mobilize capsuleer agents than the corporate police forces).

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

It's rare to see these navies go at it in-game. There's been a few trailers, yeah, but they're mostly of the "Omfg side A has brought 200 ships - but omfg, side B has brought 1,000 ships and ZOMG SPECIAL EFFECT ccp logo" variety.

There's no feel established for them.

What does a Gallente armada look like when it crashes into an Amarr fleet? What tactics do they employ? etc.

See, navies like Caldari and Amarr, I imagine using standoff tactics a lot - many wall formations to maximize synchronized alpha, or ensure all your missiles hit at the same time. Minmatar, I imagine forming their ships into spear formations to stitch holes in that wall (think the Klingons during battle to re-take DS9). Gallente battles, I imagine as the humans vs. the machines in Matrix 2 kinda - just waves of drones, millions of them, moving in streams, flowing around enemies while big blaster ships close in.

If you could visualize a space combat style for each army, what would it be?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

An updated Amarr Navy description was put up by CCP here on the EVElopedia. It doesn't really make it sound all that unique and this line...

The Navy's touch can be felt on every facet of the Amarr lifestyle, from the Emperor down to the lowest slave.

Could easily say that about the Caldari Navy and...

Citizens with military records are held in high regard in Amarr culture, and families with a long history of military service elevate themselves within Amarr society.

Well, that's going to apply to most/all navies of the cluster isn't it?

The Federation Navy actually offers the best pay of all the four navies, covered by both Abraxas and TonyG, as recruitment shortages and a peaceful, non-militaristic culture requires them to encourage recruits the best they can. From the New Eden Crew Guidelines page...

Amarr ship designs incorporate more automation than many outsiders assume due to the sheer size of their fleets and their wide distribution across the Empire. While the Amarr military has legions of personnel, the vastness of the Empire and the requirements of the Navy mean that automation is essential, even on ships where there are complementary slave contingents.

Caldari vessels are noted for their advanced technology, but many overlook the fact that, with respect to crew complements, the Caldari Navy and corporate security forces are rather old-fashioned. Caldari society is highly militarized, and this, together with the relatively small size of their fleets compared to the other empires, has meant that they have never been under pressure of crew shortages. As a consequence, crew-substitute automatic systems are less in evidence in typical Caldari designs.

The Gallente Federation may have a large population but the average citizen is not inclined to join the Federal military. Moreover, the pressures of the first Caldari-Gallente War led the Federation to invest heavily in automation and military drones. This tendency has continued ever since, and the Gallente Navy has always ensured that their vessels are highly automated so as to allow them maximum use of their relatively tight personnel pool.

The Minmatar have never suffered from lack of numbers, even while so many of their brothers and sisters are enslaved by the Amarr or living in the Gallente Federation. Their excellence lies in mechanical devices but less so in automated systems. As a result, the Minmatar use large numbers of crew on their vessels. Some of the more advanced designs may be less rigid in this regard, but nearly any Minmatar ship will seem crowded compared to its contemporaries of other empires.

The Federation Navy may be more of a military that favours officers over general hands. Whereas the "old-fashioned" Caldari Navy would have a bunch of specialists/technicians on the bridge operating the various weapon systems, and deckhands loading missiles and guns, the Federation Navy would just have one "Tactical Officer" who would oversee all these functions from a bridge console.

That is one way the FedNav could have different character from its Caldari counterpart.

Lyn Farel

As much as I agree that all navies really need a little more info and specialties, I find the comparison with alien military structures from ME a little weird. They are not even human. But yes, navies are probably very different from one to another. Just have to take a look at the amarr navy "wall of golden fire" doctrine described in Vak'Atioth, to the minmatar skirmish/hit & run doctrine described in the day of darkness, etc. Your comparison between the gallente officer overseeing a console and a crew of caldari high qualified technicians running the ship makes sense to me.

Citizens with military records are held in high regard in Amarr culture, and families with a long history of military service elevate themselves within Amarr society.

Well, that's going to apply to most/all navies of the cluster isn't it?

The Federation Navy actually offers the best pay of all the four navies, covered by both Abraxas and TonyG, as recruitment shortages and a peaceful, non-militaristic culture requires them to encourage recruits the best they can. From the New Eden Crew Guidelines page...

I think you miss why it has been stated as such an angular stone in the Amarrian society. Unlike the Federation where it can pay well or bring you a decent/comfortable life, or the Caldari/Matari navies were it brings pride and honor, the Amarr Navy is a symbol. It also brings a lot of pride and honor to its members, but we have to keep in mind hat this happens in a stratified society with a heavy social ladder. If this is important enough to bypass all the ladder even for a slave, it means that the service under the Imperial Navy is considered almost like a sacred duty that can really and totally change your place in the society. Probably and paradoxaly one of the very few meritocratic systems in the Amarr Empire.

If we have to continue to compare that to Mass Effect, the Amarr Navy is quite similar to the Turian Navy. Or at least, it heavily makes me think of it. And it also works for their ground forces too.

EDIT : if you want to compare, this "might" be inspiring, though be cautious with easy shortcuts :

Quote from: Asari
The asari military resembles a collection of tribal warrior bands with no national structure. Each community organizes its own unit as the locals see fit, and elect a leader to command them. Units from populous cities are large and well-equipped, while those from farm villages may only be a few women with small arms. There is no uniform; everyone wears what they like. The asari military is not an irregular militia, however; those who serve are full-time professionals.

[...]

Since their units are small and typically lack heavy armor and support weapons, they are almost incapable of fighting a conventional war, particularly one of a defensive nature. So asari units typically undertake special operations missions. Like an army of ninja, they are adept at ambush, infiltration, and assassination, demoralizing and defeating their enemies through intense, focused guerrilla strikes.

Some parallels can be made with Minmatar navies.

Quote from: Turian
Although they lack the brutality of the krogan, the skill of the asari, and the virtuosity of the humans, the turian military has formidable discipline. Officers and NCOs are "lifers" with years of field experience. Enlisted personnel are thoroughly trained and stay calm under fire. Turian units don't break. Even if their entire line collapses, they fall back in order, setting ambushes as they go. A popular saying holds: "You will only see a turian's back once he's dead."

Comparison with the Amarr Empire.

Boot camp begins on the 15th birthday. Soldiers receive a year of training before being assigned to a field unit; officers train for even longer. Most serve until the age of 30, at which point they become part of the Reserves. Even if they suffer injuries preventing front-line service, most do support work behind the lines.

Caldari.

Command and control is decentralized and flexible. Individual units can call for artillery and air support. They make extensive use of combat drone for light duties, and practice combined arms: infantry operates with armor, supported by overhead gunships. Strategically, they are methodical and patient, and dislike risky operations.

Tradition is important. Each legion has a full-time staff of historians who chronicle its battle honors in detail. The oldest have records dating back to the turian Iron Age. If a legion is destroyed in battle, it is reconstituted rather than replaced.

The turians recruit auxiliary units from conquered or absorbed minor races. Auxiliaries are generally light infantry or armored cavalry units that screen and support the main turian formations. At the conclusion of their service in the Auxiliaries, recruits are granted turian citizenship.

Except the first statement which is totally opposite to amarrian doctrines, even if they have been modernized a lot since their defeat, the rest is definitly fitting well with the Amarr.

____

For gallente and caldari navies, it is a little harder to find parallels, mainly because they are less tainted with archetypes like amarr and minmatar are. They are closer to our ways, and our western world.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 12:02 by Lyn Farel »

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain

The faction navies aren't the same at all, they are just poorly represented.

The pixels you see in space are just props, not the real thing. They represent the faction navies just like a miniature represents your character in a pen-and-paper RPG. It is up to you to add the depth that is obviously missing from the miniature.

Obviously, there isn't any crew in-game too, but that doesn't mean we can pretend there is. Just imagine the tribal markings, imagine the missives sent from megacorps to produce this cobbled together fleet etc.
Pages: [1] 2