Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who creates the Backstory?  (Read 3140 times)

HouseofSebtin

• Clonejack
Who creates the Backstory?
« on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:05 »

I think it's safe to assume that those first six or so guys who created eve designed the the PF in between coding and their dayjob of Vikinging English monastaries or whatever Icelandics do but these days who keeps it going? I'm curious because a great deal of effort went into designing a lot of the back story as you can tell if you read that Sleeper thread that keeps going on the eveonline forums.

Perhaps 'how' rather than who is a better question, did CCP ever release a devblog explaining how the backstory was developed?

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Who creates the Backstory?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:48 »

CCP Clover, I think, kicked it all off with the basics in '01-'02...

Since then it's been a clusterfuck of folks.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2011, 09:31 »

Emphasis on clusterfuck, evidenced by CCP's recent trend for clear-cut, black and white Villains and Heroes

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2011, 09:55 »

Milo, if we take CCP Dropbear at his word, there are aspects of the story (re: Sleepers) which has connections all the way back to the first introduction of the game.

Quote from: CCP Dropbear
The longer answer is that returning the focus to Sleepers after the first time (COSMOS) allowed us to continue developing a plotline that is as old as EVE itself. So let me put your fears to rest; we weren't unthinkingly reviving something newer as filler at the expense of using something else that's more established. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Let me tell you now that if you look closely at all things Sleeper, you will be rewarded for it. Nothing was put anywhere by mistake, and very, very, little of it is what you could describe as "filler".

There are two rather healthy threads in the Eve Fiction section with regards to this.

Possibly new hidden sleeper info found at sites. - Started Feb 2010
CCP: Sleepers instead of the Rogue Drones? - Started May 2010

To answer the OP; the two most visible people in the past year(s) have been CCP Dropbear and CCP Ginger in interacting wrt the background.

HouseofSebtin

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 22:40 »

Emphasis on clusterfuck, evidenced by CCP's recent trend for clear-cut, black and white Villains and Heroes

I'm hoping there is actually a 'justification' for Sansha's actions, like he believes that Capsuleers are a threat to the survival of humanity and that the abductions are a case of needing an army and that whole "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

Either way I would love to get my grubby hands on the Eveonline Bible/encyclopedia or whatever they're calling it in-house.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:17 »

I heard it said once that there was a document in a safe somewhere at CCP that detailed how the plot was going to develop over the lifetime of Eve.

I'm reasonably certain that it's been thrown in the bin at some point.

But then again, CCP's obsesssion with putting Jamyl on the throne might suggest the opposite.

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:18 »

Eve RP is created by several matinees in a big tank taking multi coloured balls labelled things like "Jamyl" or "Disaster", system names and empires/corporations responsible.  They place the balls in into a tube that creates nearly all of the material we see published these days.  Its a very similar model to how they think up ideas for expansions and new features.

At least that's how it feels sometimes.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:55 »

I heard it said once that there was a document in a safe somewhere at CCP that detailed how the plot was going to develop over the lifetime of Eve.

I'm reasonably certain that it's been thrown in the bin at some point.

But then again, CCP's obsesssion with putting Jamyl on the throne might suggest the opposite.
Oh no, no... the bible is still there, still immutable. It's unfolding according to a fixed schedule. If you give it a lot of thinking, you can almost predict what happens next. (I managed to predict Doriam's assassination and Jamyl's return, both ahead of time.)

This is from a story I wrote 8 years ago, before the beta test started:

Sinclair was already in the infirmary when they brought Stanton Dowd in, an entourage of physicians in tow behind the robotic stretcher, several small tubes protruding from the old man's arms and legs pumping his body full of the most advanced medicines the galaxy had to offer. As the group advanced, Sinclair's heart skipped a beat as he glimpsed the face of a legend he knew only from the hundreds of pictures he'd seen since his schooling days, everything he'd learned, everything he had heard, everything he genuinely admired in that man coming to the surface in a wave of emotion. It wasn't every day that one came face to face with history.

Instinctively he moved forward, drawn by the apotheotic figure, the stretcher having come to a stop in an assigned spot near the infirmary wall, monitors around him coming to life with vital signs, blood cell counts, any and every bit of information a doctor could hope for. Immediately the staff of healers got to work, while Sinclair, attempting to be as unintrusive as possible, advanced, leaning over the figure they'd fought so hard, even died, to rescue. And here he was, covered in the same uniform he'd worn centuries earlier, eyes barely open, breathing heavily. He had the look of a man about to die, but seeking something. Waiting for some last act.

Not knowing what else to do, and moved beyond anything he'd ever felt, Sinclair knelt down beside the man. He scarcely knew where to begin. Stanton Dowd still looked as he had in the photos taken hundreds of years before.

"Councilman Dowd," he addressed him, nearly whispering, his mind blocking out all the medical activity around him.

"Where...where...am I?" the man grunted quietly, his head slowly tilting to face Sinclair, Dowd's eyes piercing the BSA agent's with a look that betrayed a knowledge and wisdom beyond any Sinclair had fathomed possible.

"The DPS Vastus," Sinclair answered, trying desperately to remember whether the giant vessel had been built before or after Dowd's last journey.

The corners of the old man's lips drew up in what Sinclair could only interpret as the slightest of grins. "Good," he replied to that. "You must...you must be very...very curious...as to where I've...been...these past...years." He paused. "How...many?"

"Over three...over three hundred, sir." Saying the words gave them an even deeper meaning. Three hundred years.

Dowd's eyelids shut slowly and heavily in apparent introspection, remaining closed for several seconds before the man continued: "I've...seen...things. Come...come closer."

Obediently Sinclair leaned forward, curious beyond everything.

Dowd continued: "You...you are fighting...puppets...shadows...minions." He took a deep, wheezy breath. "This...this is Heaven? You...know...why this place, why...why none other?"

It took but a moment for Sinclair to guess. "Jove?"

"Oh...oh yes. But...not...just any." He stuttered. "There...there...are another." Dowd's voice trailed off, as if the conversation had retreated somewhere into the innards of his mind. Sinclair was about to speak up when the Councilman's mouth opened again. "When they...left. When they were gone, not...not all of them agreed. Don't...don't you see? They fractured...split." He paused, coughing slightly. "These, these...are dark ones...they seek not knowledge...but...chaos...pure chaos."

"So Endless...they're-"

"But a...pawn," Dowd cut him off, exhaling. The words were coming out forcefully, as though the man had to expend the entirety of his frail body's energy to formulate every word. Somewhere in the background Sinclair heard muffled shouting, more doctors scurrying about in response to some change in the vital readings. But that was far away. Dowd still spoke, his every word measured. "They...Jove...they...must know. You...must...tell...them." With that, the aged man drew his last living breath. "Daasa...it...lives?" That final query, the man's last words, echoed in Sinclair's mind as he nodded his answer.

"Yes." The overwhelming flood of emotion was almost too much to bear, tears forming in the hardened BSA man's eyes.

But Dowd did not respond.

I'd sell my left nut for a look at that master document, though.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:37 »

Milo, if we take CCP Dropbear at his word, there are aspects of the story (re: Sleepers) which has connections all the way back to the first introduction of the game.
On the other hand, CCP Dropbear has also confirmed that on some other aspects of the background story (e.g. how cloning works exactly, are copies possible, etc) they don't even know themselves how it is supposed to work, because multiple people have made backstory with their different interpretations over the years.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2011, 01:25 »

Isty, I sure hope your story is wrong.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2011, 04:06 »

OMG Enheduanni! :D

I can't wait for the EVE gate open and Terrans starting to pour through...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 01 Feb 2011, 08:20 »

Isty, I sure hope your story is wrong.

Back in beta, I roleplayed a CEO being manipulated by mysterious entities. Our entire backstory was based on the very early Peralles Incident chronicle, where a Gallente senator disappeared inside a stargate. These entities lived in the space between gates, and their realm could be accessed by something I dubbed an "Incursion Gate."

Said entities could speak into your mind, like a disembodied voice in your cranium. I was quite pleased to see Theodicy, even when the rest of the Eve community started hissing and spitting at Tony Gonzales... because it contained mysterious entities that speak into Viola Antionnes' mind, in the exact fashion I described in my stories :D

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 Feb 2011, 08:24 »

dblpost

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #13 on: 01 Feb 2011, 10:26 »

I'm hoping there is actually a 'justification' for Sansha's actions, like he believes that Capsuleers are a threat to the survival of humanity and that the abductions are a case of needing an army and that whole "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

I think it's the exact opposite.   I think Sansha see's capsuleers as the key to his utopia, the ultimate true citizen or true slave.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #14 on: 01 Feb 2011, 11:17 »

I think it's the exact opposite.   I think Sansha see's capsuleers as the key to his utopia, the ultimate true citizen or true slave.

Hallowed are is the Ori.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.
Pages: [1] 2