Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "because of Falcon" is passé?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: A trend and a discussion.  (Read 16929 times)

Vieve

Re: A trend and a discussion.
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2010, 19:34 »

wait, vieve is back?

The correct answer is "Wait.  Vieve was gone?"  :P

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 19 May 2010, 00:32 »

wait, vieve is back?

Who is Vieve?

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #47 on: 19 May 2010, 01:24 »

First off, before I go any further, I would like to point out that this is not any intention of making anyone look bad or any such thing, I'm simply trying to bring forth a discussion of something and see what opinions are on it.

Well, that didn't work.

At all, really. Heh.

I definitely think some clarification is in order. I got banned from the channel myself, permanently, for providing false intel (which was entirely in-character), because people were using it as a rallying point to fight off the invasion this afternoon.  

><

You do realize one of your characters has temporary op rights in the channel you're complaining about being banned from, yes?

Hosting it on the most known and trafficked RP channel, and holding it temporarily under 'martial law' is wrong.

I think for key problem here was the location of the event intself. Having specific conferances used as a rallying point against another entity of the game, should be used in a suitable biased channel for the targeted crowd.

>.>

Ashar co-opted the channel's name recognition to hold the Conference there. the conference is designed to stop Nation. This was ashar's decision, and at the start of this, i requested that he make it a different channel to isolate problems.

><

Perhaps the problem is that Ashar used an existing channel for a purpose different from its original intention, thus essentially pushing aside anyone who didn't toe the coalition line.

>< >< ><

There has to be a separate channel for the Conference. During the Summit was a bad decision from the start. A really bad decision.

Statements like this really ought to be qualified.

the amarr comparison is reasonable to a point.

Amarr has been/still is painted as "Ebil" by short stories, novels etc.

So people go "boo!" and throw insults, using the worst things featured, to dismiss anything and everything you say. Ignoring/banning people from channels is part of it.

Which means, to have any RP other than being insulted all the time, regardless of what you say, then you don't RP with anyone other than people of similar outlook.

Which is what seems to be happening to Sansha now as well.

Then you obviously have a limited perception. Though the insults and whatnot are flung periodically, most oft what I receive is fairly interesting conversation. One of said conversations was recently posted on IGS.

Lillith, Amarr have been and are currently being barred, as a race, from certain popular roleplay channels.

Which you don't know about.

Let's not get into limited perceptions.

Important response will be in my next post.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 02:25 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #48 on: 19 May 2010, 02:01 »

Next time someone is worried about setting a precedent, I'd ask that you try to contact the potential setter of this precedent. It may be, as in this case, that you're scaring the shit out of people about an illusion of some sort. Potentially, scrappy people who will hound others for a very long time.

I don't think anyone needs that.

For the record, Lillith and I are cool. We talked, there is to be no war, a concordance has been achieved interpersonally.

On the matter of permabans and permamutes and whatever else, we'd just finished a five-hour event, and some of us got very little sleep. Give us latitude.

Soter put those in, by the by, and was scolded by everyone for it. He's pretty short on rest too, what with being the leader of a massive group of players right now.

For the record, they were reversed by me as soon as I learned about them, so there's nothing that came anywhere near setting a solid precedent.

Some things about the Summit certain people, newer ones for example (looking at you, Casi) may not know:

-The (remarkably few) restrictions in the operation of the conference taking place now were designed to welcome, on an out of character level, players representing the enemy. This is why we keep telling people not to post intel or sensitive information in Summit just now. Fuck, I'm moving this point up to the top and reposting it down below later.

-It was created by Gaven Lok'ri, as I understand it, back in the mists of time. Responsibility for it was formally the purview of his alt who was stuck in a corp called the CRC auxiliary. There are some folks in that corp. They're all inactive. They used to be listed as channel mods.

-A while back, I said to Gaven, "Hey, can I do some things with this channel?" He said, "Okay, if I like your plans." I won't go into that too much here, but he handed over mod rights; I co-opted nothing. I currently have some rather unreasonable people talking shit to me about how I've stolen op rights for OOC, too, which is wrong and insulting enough, thank you.

-These plans are somewhat public. Contact me ingame if you want to discuss them, for now.

-The in-character rationale for the shift in control, which to Gaven's credit WAS all done in-character, was that the CRC auxiliary underwent a corporate takeover when the ISD CRC was disbanded by CCP. This was mostly my idea; I don't like players making ISD-themed corps because I find it campy and a possible source of alleged EULA violations.

-Further, the corporation that handled the takeover is one Ashar KorAzor owns all the stock for. As such, the summit IS owned by my main in-character. This generally doesn't affect OOC use of it, but she does talk some shit in there from time to time about it IC, mostly to say 'God, I hate spammers' and 'if you don't let that unpopular person I have not seen fit to ban speak their mind, I will mute you, because you are disrupting their use of the channel.'

-This reflects the actual rules of channel use. Spammers and users that disrupt roleplay are banned and/or muted, usually not permanently. And if you, say, make fun of a recently dead player or something I might ban you. It's happened before.

-Right now, Revan Neferis is on the ban list for a variety of reasons. If you ask nicely, I can tell you why, but basically, lolnazis.

-The channel's first incarnation as a setting, as far as I know, was a big room something like a lecture hall. People spoke there for formal diplomatic presentations and various capsuleer affairs. Some events were arranged there. Over time, it has somewhat drifted away from that, but not really very far in the eyes of its founder.

-I changed the channel description to reflect this drift quite a long time ago. That's probably why the shift to a conference room kinda setting is so new and startling to some - it is a nod to a very old tradition.

-In preparing for this event, I asked the leadership of the foremost groups from active factions as well as a hodgepodge of people their opinion on it and whether I should go forward with it; whether it was a good idea. The groups included the Heiian society, EM and affiliates, Graelyn and his Amarr Confido (however they're spelling it now), any Gallente I could find, Veto and certain other pirate interests, and some Angels supporters. The total number of individuals that knew about this, for DAYS, and had a lot of chances to protest out of character is well over fifty. They didn't.

-In reference to current events, I am not keeping Sansha players from speaking, interacting, or expressing political leanings - unless they get disruptive. Some have been; they're still using it today. Literally, today. This is because there ain't been no permanent muting or banning. Sheesh.

-Less Sansha have been muted (none were banned by me, under my authority, or at my asking, though I think a ban was reversed, thanks, Soter ><) than either non-roleplayers disrupting the event (had a few recruitment spammers, had some jackholes talking shit as expected) OR people without sansha affilation being disruptive loudmouths (many tempmutes were handed out to keep discussion on track).

-The (remarkably few) restrictions in the operation of the conference taking place now were designed to welcome, on an out of character level, players representing the enemy. This is why we keep telling people not to post intel or sensitive information in Summit just now.

-A further misconception is that, again, players of a certain faction are somehow being barred from interacting with others. That one's all you, Lillith. There's endless channels out there that would well serve your purpose, both more heavily populated and more active than the Summit. And being muted for ten minutes at a time really hasn't affected anything in terms of engaging individual players; you can still mail anyone you see talking in there in-character. You can still invite them to private conversations. You can do a number of things because you see people in the channel without speaking to them.

-But I guess that's not something the muted parties got to think about much, being that they were only muted, by me, for a few minutes if at all - if they were muted for roleplaying. I don't think the spammers and smacktalkers were doing anything relevant to roleplay, myself. We could ask them if you like, though :P

-After the conference is over, the Summit will go back to its previous functions and methods of operation.

Finally.

-Almost anyone can come to me and ask to hold an event in the Summit. Frankly, it's boring for the twenty hours out of the day I'm logged in, in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'm going to intentionally alter it to spice things up, but...if what I've done has essentially only added to the active population, I don't think that's adversely affected its capacity as a neutral ground in future.

Which, as my character has said in character, (which she can say after a long, sustained interest in the Nation), has all been the plan the whole time.

Frankly, I've almost never seen anything that compares to the sheer friendliness Ashar's showing these people-borg-things in-character, here.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 06:02 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #49 on: 19 May 2010, 02:06 »

Finally, while I'm a bit miffed that the people who have criticized me for pulling together a general roleplay event to generally address current events in a general roleplay channel that I've been responsible for have failed to say word ONE to me about their objections...well.

I did get 182 people into summit, all there looking for roleplay.

I did give them connections to current roleplayer groups.

I did give them lots of little hints about what to do to join the enemy, thus serving both sides sufficiently in the opinion of anyone who's stopped to think it over.

And I did get a news article up about a roleplayer effort for the first time in a while.

Oh! And I have this big pile of mails from budding roleplayers that I can now dump into the community. Like a hundred fucking mails, jesus. There's a few dozen more playmates for y'all, I guess >.>

So, those of you with objections that are still soundly applicable after all the above - I invite you to do better. Certainly no one is stopping you from organizing events yourselves; certainly many will appreciate an attempt.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2010, 02:47 »

I consider the matter resolved, mostly, but I find it amusing that you're essentially arguing that the ends justify the means. I think you could have been just as successful in any other channel had an attempt been made, and this would have been averted entirely.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2010, 02:54 »

-A while back, I said to Gaven, "Hey, can I do some things with this channel?" He said, "Okay, if I like your plans." I won't go into that too much here, but he handed over mod rights; I co-opted nothing.
Pointing out that this isn't what Soter meant when he said you 'co-opted the channel's name recognition for the event', just in case the above quoted was in any way responding to that comment (which I assume since you quoted said comment by Soter.  He was only citing one of a possible many reasons why the Conference is being held in that already-popular channel as opposed to some other channel (or a channel of its own).

If you already got that and the above quoted was in fact not in response to Soter's comment, ignore me entirely.

So, those of you with objections that are still soundly applicable after all the above - I invite you to do better. Certainly no one is stopping you from organizing events yourselves; certainly many will appreciate an attempt.
I object.  I keep forgetting where the 'input password' box is on the eve client.  If I could find it, Havo would sure show the lot of your toons a thing or two about some thing or another.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #52 on: 19 May 2010, 03:29 »

I object.  I keep forgetting where the 'input password' box is on the eve client.  If I could find it, Havo would sure show the lot of your toons a thing or two about some thing or another.

I can help you with this.

About bottom center, there. Just a centimeter or so up from the bottom.

^_^

I co-opted nothing.
Pointing out that this isn't what Soter meant when he said you 'co-opted the channel's name recognition for the event', just in case the above quoted was in any way responding to that comment (which I assume since you quoted said comment by Soter...

...Except then, it comes down to my experience, which includes other such events held in other channels of this size and smaller that I personally ran, which I personally promoted and dragged in guests for, and other people's experience, in which they may not have.

Also, I think name recognition would be a more significant factor if the primary reason for there being this many attendees was the name of the channel.

I think it was the news article.

Otherwise, I co-opted the shared coffee grinder my roomates and I use to grind coffee by making everyone a bunch of coffee this morning, and you're complaining because I didn't originally pay for it, in spite of my maintaining it over the years - and my having the purchaser's permission and the permission of a great slew of the userbase of said appliance - and also, you're bitterly complaining that because I'm using it now and, say, keeping some kid's hands away from the moving parts, I'm making it hard for you to use in any capacity.

I also co-opted the public school I went to when I used it to get those academic awards, I suppose?

And I co-opted the neighbor's cat to get scratched and bitten.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 19:25 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Vieve

« Reply #53 on: 19 May 2010, 05:33 »

wait, vieve is back?

Who is Vieve?

Bless you. :>

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #54 on: 19 May 2010, 06:44 »

Next time someone is worried about setting a precedent, I'd ask that you try to contact the potential setter of this precedent. It may be, as in this case, that you're scaring the shit out of people about an illusion of some sort. Potentially, scrappy people who will hound others for a very long time.

That's hard to do sometimes. :P

-Less Sansha have been muted (none were banned by me, under my authority, or at my asking, though I think a ban was reversed, thanks, Soter ><) than either non-roleplayers disrupting the event (had a few recruitment spammers, had some jackholes talking shit as expected) OR people without sansha affilation being disruptive loudmouths (many tempmutes were handed out to keep discussion on track).

Not really relevant - there's only a couple dozen of us compared to thousands of shitcocks. The same thing could be said for roleplayers who have legitimately crossed lines.

-A further misconception is that, again, players of a certain faction are somehow being barred from interacting with others. That one's all you, Lillith. There's endless channels out there that would well serve your purpose, both more heavily populated and more active than the Summit. And being muted for ten minutes at a time really hasn't affected anything in terms of engaging individual players; you can still mail anyone you see talking in there in-character. You can still invite them to private conversations. You can do a number of things because you see people in the channel without speaking to them.

This isn't about "ten minutes at a time". That wasn't an issue -- you were running an event. However being muted for a month and then being told that it was being justified with "I did it for the lolz" amongst a myriad of other changing excuses, such as "Players are upset that people are talking about Sansha and threatening to leave, what am I supposed to do?" and so on is.

That there are other channels out there that are more heavily populated is news to me -- and to many others mind you. As most channels out there that I am even remotely aware of are bars. My character isn't a barfly. I can't really do that, so those are somewhat out of the question. I look over the channel list we have on this very site, and beyond the Summit there's really not a "general" channel that I see that is more populated or something my character would go to.

I realize the "bar" is a common staple in RP, however that doesn't necessarily make it "good", it is, in fact, one of the worst venues because the vast majority of the time you have to manufacture reasons to be there, contrast that to a general comms channel or VR environment and it's far more likely you'll be listening in just for amusement's sake.

-But I guess that's not something the muted parties got to think about much, being that they were only muted, by me, for a few minutes if at all - if they were muted for roleplaying. I don't think the spammers and smacktalkers were doing anything relevant to roleplay, myself. We could ask them if you like, though :P

It is. Don't be under the misconception I didn't spend a great deal of time thinking about this post before I made it. I tried wording it as neutrally as possible -- to various levels of success it seems.

Frankly, I've almost never seen anything that compares to the sheer friendliness Ashar's showing these people-borg-things in-character, here.

"Friendliness"? XD

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #55 on: 19 May 2010, 07:24 »

Next time someone is worried about setting a precedent, I'd ask that you try to contact the potential setter of this precedent.
That's hard to do sometimes. :P
><

-Evemail
-PMs here or on other forums
-Asking for and getting my MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Gmailchat or ICQ contacts, because yeah, I'd give 'em to you
-Asking some of the other ops, which include Silver Night, or the temp-ops, or the conference organizers
-Waiting six hours and talking to me ingame after I'd woken up and logged on, because it's a week-long event

Come on, Lillith.

Not really relevant - there's only a couple dozen of us compared to thousands of shitcocks. The same thing could be said for roleplayers who have legitimately crossed lines.
Yes, relevant.

-Only two hundred potential shitcocks at event at PEAK. Less, actually - event peaked at 192. And at least ten Sansha supporters spoke there, which is roughly one in twenty. This is about representative of the different factions and subfactions in EVE.

And last I heard, a whole goddamn allianced had pledged to support you. A couple dozen!?

This isn't about "ten minutes at a time". That wasn't an issue -- you were running an event. However being muted for a month and then being told that it was being justified with "I did it for the lolz" amongst a myriad of other changing excuses, such as "Players are upset that people are talking about Sansha and threatening to leave, what am I supposed to do?" and so on is.
Dealt with, will be dealt with again as necessary, please stop going on about it.

That there are other channels out there that are more heavily populated is news to me -- and to many others mind you. As most channels out there that I am even remotely aware of are bars. My character isn't a barfly. I can't really do that, so those are somewhat out of the question. I look over the channel list we have on this very site, and beyond the Summit there's really not a "general" channel that I see that is more populated or something my character would go to.
Well, on the one hand, leverage social capital harder.

On the other hand, create some, you curmudgeon. Some things must still be wrought by the work of man :P

And on the gripping hand, you may have to shift your definition of a 'general' channel slightly, but they're not bars or bar-having clubs or 'drinky establishments' of any stripe. Some are resturants, mind. But certainly not all.
I realize the "bar" is a common staple in RP, however that doesn't necessarily make it "good", it is, in fact, one of the worst venues because the vast majority of the time you have to manufacture reasons to be there, contrast that to a general comms channel or VR environment and it's far more likely you'll be listening in just for amusement's sake.
Whatever works. Some of us don't share your problems, honestly.

It is. Don't be under the misconception I didn't spend a great deal of time thinking about this post before I made it.
I think the main point is that you made it in public at all and phrased it as a community discussion before ensuring that there was anything to discuss other than some mod-happy, tired guy's handiwork.

Again, sheesh.

I tried wording it as neutrally as possible -- to various levels of success it seems.
:S
"Friendliness"? XD
Well, let's consider.
-You took a million people hostage right out of her backyard, and
-You are supporters of a raving lunatic who is mean and crazy and deadly and bad for sanity, and
-You are the enemy now of not just much of the cluster, but capsuleers in particular, and
-You can still come to the conference she made to work against you, and
-You can even talk there until you start preaching in return, and
-You are allowed to speak in channels she owns after your arguably (IC at least) undertake efforts to do genocidal shit unto others.

God DAMN, is my main friendly.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 08:05 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #56 on: 19 May 2010, 07:37 »

I have never really understood the Summit, honestly....it does seem rather out of character.  For what it is though, it should probably be kept as open as possible, as a neutral ground -- but things like this conference are decidedly not what it should be hosting.  It probably would have been better to start another channel and then post about it in the MOTD or something.

I've always wondered why there isn't another channel for "legitimate" pilots (ie, those from the Empires or legitimate businesses) only.  There's certainly enough "bars" and venues where the scum of the cluster congregate. :P Perhaps after Incarna drops Svetlana will have a place to go where she isn't accosted by pirate scum. :P  That being said, it's clear the Summit is not supposed to be that, and if the conference is supposed to be for fighting the Sansha, it seems smarter to host it in a channel which bars the Sansha and their sympathizers (or even people who would be willing to work with them for a price) entry.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #57 on: 19 May 2010, 08:18 »

Ashar, can you explain why, in the face of a seeming consensus that disagrees with you, you feel that this conference belongs in The Summit rather than a dedicated channel? If my premises are faulty, please correct me; I'm not trying to trap you, but rather to understand. :)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #58 on: 19 May 2010, 08:25 »

Well, Casi, a consensus among the people posting in this thread is hardly a consensus in the community. I mean, first of all, there are more than a dozen people in the community by about two powers of ten, and there are less than a dozen people posting in this thread. And out of that subset, not all agree.

Also, there are less people commenting in this thread than I asked about this shindig of mine.

Also, there are less people outright attacking the notion that such events belong in a certain channel than are supporting it vehemently and also happen to be leaders in currently active roleplay groups. They're a bit busy, but they can be along shortly to tell you they disagree with you.

So I'm basically possessed of a few disagreeing opinions and a number of people cheering me on. That's close to that bit in the middle where you've got some with you and some against you, so you must be doing something right, IIRC?

It'd be best to maintain your position, I think, on the merits of YOUR position and not those of others. If you have a position with real merit in the face of the points I have raised, you will win me over. That's how a good-faith discussion works, and I've certainly been won over before.

I won't, however, change my behavior because some people out of a very large group say 'fuck you, Ashar.' I'm not expecting to please everyone; some small portion of everyone I interact with is displeased with any given thing I do.

Hell, there's people in the Arab world who cringe when they find out that you might wipe yourself with your right hand.

Gonna please them, too?
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 08:29 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #59 on: 19 May 2010, 09:06 »

Since you've chosen to take that tack, responding to one piece of the question rather than its substance (i.e. why the conference belongs in a general RP channel, thus monopolizing its use for a specific purpose), I think I'll have to decline further conversation on this topic.

Otherwise I'll get suspended, and I don't want that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7