Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Feds and Heth downfall?  (Read 10298 times)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: Feds and Heth downfall?
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2013, 06:45 »

I'll put my money saying that Jacus Roden tipped off The Scope, to weaken Mentas Blaque, as the guy was getting too powerful.

This not only puts the FedGov in a good light saying "we knocked down" Heth, but also creates a purge and witch hunt within the State that will keep them busy looking inwards for a while.

Perfect strategy if you ask me.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2013, 08:02 »

Doesn't bother me.

I'm just going to assume OOC and IC that it's all just hogwash and grandstanding without any real substance. Like Veikitamo said IC, how do we know it's not just a clever ruse to start a witch hunt in the State over these supposed high ranking traitors?

My money is on that bet, honestly.

Oooh, true.

Also I think people are missing something key with CCP's news items. What I've noticed is that there's a lot of "claims" and " implied" but rarely any actual hard words. Same with this news item. It just says what this report says.

Doesn't mean it's true.

Sounds reasonable...

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2013, 08:39 »

I'll put my money saying that Jacus Roden tipped off The Scope, to weaken Mentas Blaque, as the guy was getting too powerful.

This not only puts the FedGov in a good light saying "we knocked down" Heth, but also creates a purge and witch hunt within the State that will keep them busy looking inwards for a while.

Perfect strategy if you ask me.

Too boring. I say Scope has spais everywhere, and their spais spai the Fed spai doing spai things and told The Scope editors about it, who in turn unleash their legions of reporters to get The Scope in a very good attempt to hide the existence of their spai while fulfilling their mission of informing/misinforming the public at the same time. 
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2013, 08:44 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2013, 10:05 »

This is striking me as another case of art imitating life.

The U.S. since 9-11 has often seemed to be a sort of case study for CCP in its characterization of the Federation (never mind that the Federation is apparently more a confederation of loosely-joined entities of a kind that has historically worked better in theory than in practice-- just ask Jefferson Davis).

U.S. suffers a shocking loss, goes slightly nuts; Federation does the same. U.S. starts getting stories about its extensive intelligence network leaked; Federation does the same. U.S. shows a nasty undertone of surviving racism; Federation does the same.

It's not bad (it establishes Federal imperfections in some plausible ways), but it's maybe a little too predictable. Perhaps they could start taking a few more pages from the French and have the Gallente test a WMD on a mostly-unpopulated Intaki colony world or something?

Edit:

Also, if they're TRULY going to have art imitating life (and widening the gulf between Federation and Republic), look forward to a revelation of similarly high-level infiltration of Republic power structures!
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2013, 10:09 by Aria Jenneth »

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:02 »

Does this mean that Shakor is Merkel?
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #35 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:22 »

If the Fed had spies that high up in the Republic, the people responsible for Colelie would already have been outed and/or bagged and tagged.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 25 Oct 2013, 13:10 »

If the Fed had spies that high up in the Republic, the people responsible for Colelie would already have been outed and/or bagged and tagged.
Yea mean the Tribal Council

I don't like this descriptions that may show the Fed as space murica... isn't it possible to show it in a diffrent way.  :(

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #37 on: 25 Oct 2013, 13:35 »

Yeah, why does it need to be "art imitating life"? Why can't it be a completely unique and original storyline?

Every other faction manages it.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 25 Oct 2013, 14:17 »

I don't like this descriptions that may show the Fed as space murica... isn't it possible to show it in a diffrent way.  :(
Yeah, why does it need to be "art imitating life"? Why can't it be a completely unique and original storyline?

Every other faction manages it.
Do they?

Every faction is a historical mulligan stew with some odd element thrown in whose impact is actually less than it looks like it should be. The Amarr are Space Feudalism, with the addition of a check/balance in the persons of the Speakers of Truth to make its long-term stability plausible. The Minmatar are tribal victims of a colonial power that have strong enough ties to one another through a shared history of suffering that the usual tribal bickering-leading-to-bad-things hasn't happened. The Caldari would be a fine blend of the most "greater good" -minded Japanese and Germans, if it weren't for that odd capitalist governing structure-- which, however, isn't really "corporate" in the way we think of it because the standard capitalist corporation has no duties but to its stockholders, which isn't the case among the Caldari. It's better described as quasi-feudal and meritocratic, comparable to imperial China if the Warring States period had reached detente instead of actually ending.

The Gallente Federation is basically France (remember, there's an ugly undercurrent of anti-immigrant sentiment, there, too) redone as a confederation (which doesn't actually work, but it's a nice idea) with the sort of problems you get as a democratic superpower (hence the American-style issues).

We don't have too many models for the troubles a democratic superpower gets into (though we've got plenty for the ones any democracy gets into-- "we the people" aren't necessarily the best judges of our own best interests, especially when we're scared and/or pissed off). The U.S. seems to be our main generator for those.

Now, if they wanted to carry their confederacy format to its historically-typical conclusion, that would be a different and very interesting set of problems. Sadly, it would mean no more Federation, because it would involve the whole thing going to bits....

Lyn Farel

« Reply #39 on: 25 Oct 2013, 14:47 »

Uh... Besides the structure of the government that might be inspired of it, the Fed is hardly like France at all, except in the naming flavour... France is a super centralized society and still retains a lot of its Gaullist mindset and Bonapartist administrative structure. It's also hardly a melting pot of cultures where culture is actually enforced and stenghtened by various old national bodies whose sole purpose is the preservation of the language, culture, etc.

Really, it's closer to the US, without being a mirror of the US (fortunately...).

Also there are undercurrents of anti-immigrant sentiments almost everywhere anyway. France is like any other.

Art imitating, yeah, sure, but copycats... bleh.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #40 on: 25 Oct 2013, 16:23 »

I think that when CCP envisioned France as the ancestry of the Gallente, they were thinking of the artistic/fashion minded stereotype that comes with several subcultures commonly considered Parisian, then crossing that with the historically liberal "freedom!" esque actions of the populace during key moments in history. English occupation, French Revolution and WW2 occupation all spring to mind.

It's extremely stereotyping but that's pretty much how I understood the atypical French part of the cultural influence, the rest is ideally western liberal culture underlined with an exceptionally paranoid and big brother esque surveillance centric Government, controlling through subterfuge and media, occasionally crossing the two.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 25 Oct 2013, 16:35 »

My husband had an intersting view that theCaldari are far more "American" - albeit dystopian advanced - than the Gallente - specifically in that "megacorps" run everything, and are considered "living entities" and "persons".

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 25 Oct 2013, 17:52 »

My husband had an intersting view that theCaldari are far more "American" - albeit dystopian advanced - than the Gallente - specifically in that "megacorps" run everything, and are considered "living entities" and "persons".

It depends on how one interprets the antebellum Federation.  It is possible to recast the entire Gallente-Caldari conflict outside of ethnic tones and focus on Government vs Corporate conflict.   I think it is very possible to argue that powerful corporations in the Federation actually run everything there as well, just not as directly.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #43 on: 25 Oct 2013, 18:17 »

Certainly the corporations had a large hand in the deposition of the last President, I suppose you could break it down in various ways. You could say the conflict is big government vs big business, and is a replication of the modern Democrat and Republican struggles. There's multiple influences from different culture that it's impossible to pin one down as the ultimate definition of any of the big four empires.

They're snippets of various aspects.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #44 on: 25 Oct 2013, 19:36 »

I think that when CCP envisioned France as the ancestry of the Gallente, they were thinking of the artistic/fashion minded stereotype that comes with several subcultures commonly considered Parisian, then crossing that with the historically liberal "freedom!" esque actions of the populace during key moments in history. English occupation, French Revolution and WW2 occupation all spring to mind.

It's extremely stereotyping but that's pretty much how I understood the atypical French part of the cultural influence, the rest is ideally western liberal culture underlined with an exceptionally paranoid and big brother esque surveillance centric Government, controlling through subterfuge and media, occasionally crossing the two.

Side topic, but I've never really understood the whole Gallente are Space French (or Space America) bit. Yes, I know what the lore states - but doesn't it also state they were colonists from Tau Ceti for centuries if not millennia before migrating through the EVE gate? So .. France (? 30 thousand years ago) --> Tau Ceti (25-30 thousand years ago) --> New Eden --> then a dark age after the EVE gate collapses and then et voila! Still space French?!?

It's like saying any of the cultures of Modern earth resemble that of the first Homo sapiens to emerge out of Africa. Except on a longer timescale.

Anyway, returning you to the regular programming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5