Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sarum family is known for being the most belligerent royal family?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Feds and Heth downfall?  (Read 10300 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Feds and Heth downfall?
« on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:47 »

http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/operation-highlander-documents-released-implicate-federation-in-widespread-spying/

So am I reading this wrong or is the Federation continuing to be the PF super +10 winningest best faction evar?

Every invasion stopped cold! Every political objective obtained!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Feds and Heth downfall?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:55 »

It's the political equivalent of a two year old taking an explosive shit on a piece of canvas and a parent calling it art.

It might've helped the Fed out a bit on the intel end of things, but I doubt any serious effects occurred in the State as a direct result.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:00 »

On the other hand, Feds have often been viewed as the faction that gets punched in the face and only then responds - Sarpati nabs the titan leading to increased security, Heth invades CP leading in part to the Empyrean War, Uriam Kador's invasion, the Seyllin event, the burning of Evaulon - for the last few years, the Federation has been in a very responsive role, rather than an active one. I suspect this is attempting to shift that dynamic a bit.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:12 »

Uhm.  What?

Did I read that right?  Federation espionage in the State began at the outbreak of the Empyrean War?

Waitaminute.  I did read that right.

According to the dossier, the Federation has had operatives infiltrating the Caldari State since the outbreak of the Empyrean War in YC110. This includes numerous operatives engaged in long-term, deep-cover operations within all eight Caldari megacorporations.

So, there were no Federation spies in the State prior to that?  None smuggled out with refugees from Caldari Prime?  None snuck in with Caldari fleeing other Federation planets?  None slipped in during the thawing relations after the end of the first war? Amazing.  Here I thought FIO was everywhere.  So much for that "extensive spy network that is only rivaled by the Jove".

Though my goodness, those agents did make up for lost time, didn't they?  Some of them might have managed to become high powered executives within Caldari megacorporations within a five year period of time. (assuming that some did, instead of just turning executives who were already in place). Did all these successful spies have copies of the same how-to-go-from-forklift-driver-to-CEO business management guide that Heth had?

p.s.  Though seriously, anyone who is shocked by the presence of Federation operatives anywhere ... sheesh...
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 13:19 by Vieve »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:24 »

So now, Roden has activated Godmod.

Rubbish.

Even if I was the first to claim that the Amarr and the Gallente were ludicrously losing everything before, that's overdoing it a bit.

Without even considering what Vieve said too. Completely inconsistent.

Gabriel Darkefyre

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:27 »

Uhm.  What?

Did I read that right?  Federation espionage in the State began at the outbreak of the Empyrean War?

Waitaminute.  I did read that right.

According to the dossier, the Federation has had operatives infiltrating the Caldari State since the outbreak of the Empyrean War in YC110. This includes numerous operatives engaged in long-term, deep-cover operations within all eight Caldari megacorporations.

So, there were no Federation spies in the State prior to that?  None smuggled out with refugees from Caldari Prime?  None snuck in with Caldari fleeing other Federation planets?  None slipped in during the thawing relations after the end of the first war? Amazing.  Here I thought FIO was everywhere.  So much for that "extensive spy network that is only rivaled by the Jove".

I think, and as it's been a while since I read it I can't be certain, there was something in the Empyrian Age Novel about the Federations Intelligence Network inside the State being absolutely decimated in the runup to the Caldari Invasion. It's why the Federation had to rely so heavily on Tripwire, their first line of intelligence in the State, their human assets, were gone.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:32 »

Welp, I didn't even catch that.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:33 »

I think, and as it's been a while since I read it I can't be certain, there was something in the Empyrian Age Novel about the Federations Intelligence Network inside the State being absolutely decimated in the runup to the Caldari Invasion. It's why the Federation had to rely so heavily on Tripwire, their first line of intelligence in the State, their human assets, were gone.

Argh.  I'll have to go back and re-read that bit, because I didn't remember that  (or what decimated it in the first place).

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:44 »

I have doubts anyone remotely important in State Megacorps would work for the Federation.

I have doubts anyone from the Federation (or with a family history remotely associated) would rise to be in an important position in a Megacorp.

It'd be like China's Politburo or the Supreme Ruler of Iran hiring an American to run one of their gigantic State companies.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:45 »

Heh, lol, 2 birds with one stone and they curbstomp the Minmatar at the same time. to make the feds look even more awesome !

Gabriel Darkefyre

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:49 »

Took me a bit of flicking through the book to find it. It's in Chapter 58, cause was a Provist Purge. I've no idea how the Provists could have identified the entire network though so assume a combination of Broker and TonyG.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 13:51 by Gabriel Darkefyre »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2013, 14:13 »

Desiderya

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2013, 14:51 »

Apparently totalitarian regimes limiting personal freedoms of citizens are pretty bad at counterespionage.  8)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2013, 15:08 »

It'd be like China's Politburo or the Supreme Ruler of Iran hiring an American to run one of their gigantic State companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Five

Apparently totalitarian regimes limiting personal freedoms of citizens are pretty bad at counterespionage.  8)

Caldari get best military, Feds get best intelligence network. Seems balanced from a lorewriting perspective.

The Federation being multilingual, multiethnic, multinational, multicultural, and multieverything would give them an edge in knowing how to infiltrate the others IMO
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 15:11 by Seriphyn »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2013, 15:48 »

Considering the Fed have 100% obliterated any opposing PF forces for the last several years I'm not so sure.

WTB more dreadfleets landing at 0 on moros blobs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5