Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Sabik's Sepsis is a blood disease that rarely lasts into adulthood, but is considered sacrilege when it does? (The Burning Life, pp. 20,21)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Chronicle: Sirens of Fear and Sense  (Read 10471 times)

Gesakaarin

Re: Chronicle: Sirens of Fear and Sense
« Reply #60 on: 08 Feb 2013, 21:10 »

I always liked stories centered on "choosing the lesser evil", instead of "doing things right", and this is just the case, as you very well put it. And, very often, that's what happens with society, no clear and good paths are available.

Oh, I'm not making any complaints about it, it's been leading to some very awesome and complex RP as people try to figure out just what in the world they're going to do and where their loyalties lie. :D

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 08 Feb 2013, 22:15 »

I always liked stories centered on "choosing the lesser evil", instead of "doing things right", and this is just the case, as you very well put it. And, very often, that's what happens with society, no clear and good paths are available.

Oh, I'm not making any complaints about it, it's been leading to some very awesome and complex RP as people try to figure out just what in the world they're going to do and where their loyalties lie. :D

It would be nice if the story was spread out over a bit more time so we actually had time to respond to it, versus a new thing every morning when I wake up, already 8 hours behind the curve with another 10 or 12 hours before I have time to respond in anyway.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #62 on: 08 Feb 2013, 22:27 »

It would be nice if the story was spread out over a bit more time so we actually had time to respond to it, versus a new thing every morning when I wake up, already 8 hours behind the curve with another 10 or 12 hours before I have time to respond in anyway.

I would agree, but in a way it's true to form because when there's major shifts or collapse of power in a nation events tend to occur chaotically and rapidly.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 08 Feb 2013, 22:51 »

I would agree, but in a way it's true to form because when there's major shifts or collapse of power in a nation events tend to occur chaotically and rapidly.

Both calls for support went out at roughly the same time (1830ish), which is not consistent with the collapse of power in a nation or the chaos that would ensue.

It gets to mechanics however and encouraging player interaction and enabling the sandbox/emergent gameplay.  Slowing down the pace from 1 week to 2 weeks would have given the fall out of the trials existence a bit more time to be played with for example.  It would have given players a chance to organize and figure out "Hey, when the next call comes in, do we respond or not?"

Is that how it would work in real life?  Probably not, but then Gesakaarin, Nederland, Desiderya, Grayson, Hakatain, etc would also be full time capsuleers, who moments after the CPD invaded the CBT would have had a telecon about the situation and discussing a way forward.  At this point, the characters are stuck Observing and trying to Orient because we as players have outside commitments that are a higher priority.   We should not be trying to race CCP Falcon's OODA loop.

Edit: Eve Forum Thread
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013, 22:56 by orange »

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #64 on: 08 Feb 2013, 22:56 »

Quote from: orange
Lots of stuff on timing.

You make a lot of good points there, it may be realistic that events happen at such a quick pace, but a game also has to be fun, and fun requires they leave you some time to play with things, not a race. So I agree on that.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #65 on: 08 Feb 2013, 23:10 »

I would agree with your points Dex, but I think I should also add that there's also another difficulty that raises its head and that has to do with context. We as players don't have the same access as our characters would to all the various news feeds and opinions our characters would have to in the State.

It might be described as capsuleers living in their own little bubble but sometimes it feels like if you wait and see then you end up in a situation of, "Hey, these things were going on this whole time didn't you know that or just take a look around?" when a new article appears or you end up feeling like you're taking potshots into the dark with very little info to guide your character choices.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #66 on: 09 Feb 2013, 06:54 »

Must say from this thread, I'm interested to see what will happen when it's the Fed's turn for a faction-whopping. The battles lines and goals are more clear here (assuming this is CCP's way of getting rid of Heth)...but I'm going to guess the Fed thing is going to be the same as the State in the sense you have the Black Eagles violating individual sovereignty. However, because Fed appears so homogeneous from the outset (even if it's the complete opposite), with regards to just having one 'bloc' of NPC corps (Fed gov, navy, customs, FIO, etc) I don't know what the point of it will be. There won't be any intrigue other than "Black Eagles are doing this for your security!" with disgruntled citizens going "Noo!".

Unless CCP decide to actually create a faction within the Fed government, like a Senate bloc.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #67 on: 09 Feb 2013, 06:54 »

Confirm.  Not just in RL, but think of the kickoff of the Empyrean War, the whole attack of the Elder Fleet and the Caldari Navy push into Caldari Prime.  CCP pulled that off in, what, about half a day?  Things can move very quickly, very suddenly, and it's up to our characters to do their best to react in-kind.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #68 on: 09 Feb 2013, 09:21 »

I'm interested to see what will happen when it's the Fed's turn for a faction-whopping.

I'm wondering if this is a thing, and if they'll do similar to the other factions.

Not my Empress! :eek:

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #69 on: 09 Feb 2013, 09:47 »

Confirm.  Not just in RL, but think of the kickoff of the Empyrean War, the whole attack of the Elder Fleet and the Caldari Navy push into Caldari Prime.  CCP pulled that off in, what, about half a day?  Things can move very quickly, very suddenly, and it's up to our characters to do their best to react in-kind.

Yup, all happened in one day, during the downtime of the launch of the appropriate expansion. But, as far as logic goes, it made little to no sense at all for things to happen so quickly. Then again, very little things in TEA make sense, so it's no surprise, and I understand they had to use the downtime in order to sort it all mechanic's wise.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #70 on: 10 Feb 2013, 15:27 »

Must say from this thread, I'm interested to see what will happen when it's the Fed's turn for a faction-whopping. The battles lines and goals are more clear here (assuming this is CCP's way of getting rid of Heth)...but I'm going to guess the Fed thing is going to be the same as the State in the sense you have the Black Eagles violating individual sovereignty. However, because Fed appears so homogeneous from the outset (even if it's the complete opposite), with regards to just having one 'bloc' of NPC corps (Fed gov, navy, customs, FIO, etc) I don't know what the point of it will be. There won't be any intrigue other than "Black Eagles are doing this for your security!" with disgruntled citizens going "Noo!".

Unless CCP decide to actually create a faction within the Fed government, like a Senate bloc.

I seriously hope this don't happen, at least not yet. From an IC-POW, the Fed *needs* the SDII for as long as this war rages. The Provists may be replaced and no real harm is done because the various Mega's and their forces can run things just as well, but in the Fed there is no other organization to maintain internal control and security. As long as the war lasts, the Fed needs to stay in "War-mode" and keep kicking, the SDII can be dismantled once peace has been re-established, and re-activated when war breaks out again.

From an OOC-POW, the SDII is the best thing to happen to pro-Fed RP in a long time, possibly the very best thing so far. Also, IMHO, while the whole thing with Heth was a serious slap in the face of Pro-State RP in many ways, and his removal may be a good thing overall, removal of the SDII will cripple any semblance of Federation competence and integrity. Just don't, CCP, just don't.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #71 on: 10 Feb 2013, 16:34 »

From an IC-POW, the Fed *needs* the SDII for as long as this war rages. The Provists may be replaced and no real harm is done because the various Mega's and their forces can run things just as well, but in the Fed there is no other organization to maintain internal control and security. As long as the war lasts, the Fed needs to stay in "War-mode" and keep kicking, the SDII can be dismantled once peace has been re-established, and re-activated when war breaks out again.

I am sure there is a Federal political thinker who said something like:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

There should be an internal debate between Federal loyalists about this very thing.  A simple response to "we need them now; when the war is over it will be gotten rid!" is "that can not be guaranteed! We have seen throughout the history of the humanity that those who gain power rarely give it up willingly!"

It is a debate that can be ripped from the headlines in the modern United States.   What happens when Roden starts pushing the SDII to assassinate Federal citizens without due process?  What happens when the structures of security are seen as burdensome and inadequate to actually prevent those who would do harm? Etc, Etc, Etc.

It will be more challenging than Caldari RP, because it will hit much closer to home.

From an OOC-POW, the SDII is the best thing to happen to pro-Fed RP in a long time, possibly the very best thing so far. Also, IMHO, while the whole thing with Heth was a serious slap in the face of Pro-State RP in many ways, and his removal may be a good thing overall, removal of the SDII will cripple any semblance of Federation competence and integrity. Just don't, CCP, just don't.

The SDII is key to giving the Federation the shadow organizations pervading modern powerful democracies.   A direction the Federation could take, due to the problems with the Federal Army is to pursue increased PMC involvement and with that all the "problems" involved.  An already disconnected from the war population is further disconnected and because frustrated with paying for what is a "distant-war" etc.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]