Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Author Topic: indiscriminate ship-to-surface weapon use in PF  (Read 2241 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

There's that thing with the Blood Raiders deploying something onto Mabnem.

there's the thing with the Sansha's Nation incursions throwing out "nanites" system wide.

Teh Elder fleet also lobbed indiscriminate weapons everywhere during the empyrean age book.

what other incidents of indiscriminate, area-effect type weapons being used against planets are there ?

not sure if the Ardishapur fleet shooting at Starkman Prime/Arzad counts, as lasers aren't really indiscriminate.
\o/

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: indiscriminate ship-to-surface weapon use in PF
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2011, 13:12 »

Reschard V

EoM aimed an Avatar DD on the planet.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2011, 18:47 »

And pretty soon, ground-to-orbit missile batteries for revenge? >:E

But I will say, shells and lasers the size of those thrown around in space at Mach-whatever hitting atmosphere: pretty big booms.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2011, 19:13 »

And pretty soon, ground-to-orbit missile batteries for revenge? >:E

But I will say, shells and lasers the size of those thrown around in space at Mach-whatever hitting atmosphere: pretty big booms.

I'd always imagined battles in planetary gravity wells to be interesting to watch, since all sorts of spent ammunition, drones, missiles, and rounds that missed, not to mention ships themselves, would be falling out of orbit. There'd probably be glittering explosions lighting up the stratosphere for days to weeks after a major battle.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:35 »

As a note, CCP devs have stated on the Wall Street Journal that the demo vid transition to space via doomsday device was just to show the space side of things and will not appear in the game.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/06/08/ccp-games-allows-ps3-and-ps-vita-gamers-to-play-in-eve-online/

For orbital bombardments in prime fiction not mentioned yet, there's Caldari Prime and Eanna, as well as threat of the use of force by Aritcio Kor-Azor, aborted in Liparer and used to threaten some Holders which resisted Jamyl's manumitting edict.

"The initial volleys neutralized sixty-eight separate defense batteries while removing a mere ninety-eight thousand Minmatar from the viable worker stock. Praise unto God."

- Intercepted Amarr Navy transmission during orbital bombardment of "Eanna", Planet VI, The Hror System
Yes. Lasers are very accurate weapons. Very, very accurate indeed.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:32 »

"The initial volleys neutralized sixty-eight separate defense batteries while removing a mere ninety-eight thousand Minmatar from the viable worker stock. Praise unto God."

- Intercepted Amarr Navy transmission during orbital bombardment of "Eanna", Planet VI, The Hror System
Yes. Lasers are very accurate weapons. Very, very accurate indeed.

That may be one of the more hilariously arrogant euphamisms I've heard. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:07 »

Orbital bombardment would give mining characters the chance to be badasses.

Can you say, "Mass drivers?"

Same basic principle as a railgun, but you're lobbing asteroids instead of bits of metal.

Bewm.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2011, 09:01 »

The original scourging of Sansha's Nation probably counts - I think it's mentioned in a couple of places that many of their planets were bombarded from orbit in a sterilization campaign.

Not sure the Caldari Prime bombardment counts; I've always seen it as an attempt to systematically destroy every military or military-supporting installation rather than an indiscriminate attempt to wipe out every thing on the surface (although they certainly hit some civilian targets, either because they were providing support to military installations or because of collateral damage, it's my understanding that they weren't the primary targets of the Gallente fleet).

On the other hand, I'd include Admiral Tovil-Toba's use of his carrier as a suicide vessel - he certainly couldn't guide the thing, especially once it started breaking up, so it's pretty indiscriminate.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2011, 08:07 »

As a note, CCP devs have stated on the Wall Street Journal that the demo vid transition to space via doomsday device was just to show the space side of things and will not appear in the game.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/06/08/ccp-games-allows-ps3-and-ps-vita-gamers-to-play-in-eve-online/

thats incredibly depressing.

On another note, this is something a wrote a while back for fun, around the times the DD's were changed, I'd planned on incorporating it into something I wrote but I could never find the appropriate place:

The charge up completed. Massive stores of energy were instantly shunted and redirected out of the tesseracting capacitor bays, and slammed down the miles of energy conduits towards the particle focusing arrays. The energy unfolded in front of the titan's maw, A blossoming orb of complex charged particle interactions, lighting up space like a second sun.
Then, the energy discharged. The holy fire of the Amarrian god lanced out from the ship towards the planet below, crossing the immense distance in the space of a heartbeat.
The beam struck. In less then an instant, a two hundred kilometre wide hole had been carved into the air, the molecules stripped down into plasma by the bombardment of energy. The shockwave caused by that energetic conversion would encircle the world four times before finally dissipating. But before it had even left the hemisphere, something far worse was happening. The bombardment of energy rapidly cooked the ground under it, melting it, boiling it, and burning it into plasma. The explosion evacuated the atmosphere of the world, climbing like a burning pillar up around the beam of light. As the world shifted, the tectonic plate fractured, huge rifts traveling across the surface, causing globe spanning earthquakes.
The column of divine energy terminated as instantly as it had began, but the reaction it had started was far too late to stop. four hundred miles around the impact point, the ground heaved upwards as the mantle was breached, and the internal pressure of the world was vented. squeezing billions of tons of rock and dust up out of the world and into orbit, where it would encircle the planet before slowly raining back down. This outgassing would go on for hours. When the dust finally cleared enough to somewhat see through, the entire skin of the world was cracked like an egg, hundreds of massive fractures branched and fractalized out from the boiling scar that was the impact point. Anything that had been green was on fire, the seas churned. Aftershocks rocked the planet as it heaved in its death throes.
As for the humans who called that world home...not even a trace of them remained.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2011, 15:24 »

I'm assuming there will be orbital bombardments, but they will be stuff either purchased or earned during a match in DUST. 

As far as the universe is concerned, I would think it is a huge no-no with CONCORD and would result in drastic punishment/sanctions.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2011, 18:53 »

I murdered a planet once. Daasa. Used nerve gas. Yay nerve gas!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:12 »

I'm assuming there will be orbital bombardments, but they will be stuff either purchased or earned during a match in DUST. 

As far as the universe is concerned, I would think it is a huge no-no with CONCORD and would result in drastic punishment/sanctions.

Implementation: No one knows yet, but I understand most upgrades in DUST must be earned in war points during the match plus backed up with appropriate hardware manufactured or RMT'd.

As for orbital strikes, CONCORD doesn't really care if the player characters destroy convoys of trade ships. Why would they care about orbital strikes? And even what limited care they'd have would apply to lowsec. Nullsec is completely free-for-all where the alliance with the biggest/most guns sets the rules.