Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where do we go from here?  (Read 3476 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Where do we go from here?
« on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:15 »

My PC is just treading water.

I know you've all been there, so what did you do?
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2013, 13:19 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2013, 14:06 »

I know you've spoken at least once that Makkal's goals are to rise in the ranks of I-RED. I am still willing to assist you with that, and give you the slow climb. If I-RED isn't doing it for you, there are other options out there that may give you what you seek. No hard feelings if you feel the wanderlust.

If you just need something to keep you going, I do have a few things Kat is working on. Firstly, I'm looking for an RP buddy to help Kat with her planetary salvage stuff she's doing. It's pretty much just my playing the game Hardware: Shipbreakers in my head. Makkal could get her first command (and promotion) that lands her in charge of a group of teams. I dunno.

The answer to your question is simple enough. Do something. Start some RP, or join some RP. Don't sit still.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2013, 14:23 »

I'm not entirely sure of the question,but if I read Kat's post right you've reached a bit of a wall in the things to do category> Kat has some good points with finding something to do in his post. It's usually better if you go find it as opposed to waiting for something to happen. Also maybe logging in a little less and concentrating on other hobbies or games ( or in my case getting a bit more sleep lol) has helped me many times over my EVE career.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2013, 18:33 »

Capsuleers, as a group, are arguably going nuts. Mostly, this is just OOC passing for IC for most of capsuleerdom, but it doesn't have to be that way. And you don't have to routinely act bonkers to be ... a bit bonkers. Playing a capsuleer as somewhat a victim of her own whimsy permits a lot of flexibility. Aria murdered her own grandfather, for instance, and it wasn't a cold-blooded killing; it was an impulse she didn't have enough lingering empathy to suppress.

I recommend Edgar Allen Poe's "The Imp of the Perverse" for inspiration.

Alternatively, keep an eye out for people with nifty ideas that will almost surely fail. Water them, and see whether they grow. This is how Aria got involved in SYNE, among other things.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2013, 20:34 »

Found something I liked about the game that made me happy, threw myself into it, never looked back. Found my way back to RP a couple times. Left the game a few times, and now I can't play due to finances and the fact that my computer got ruined a couple months back due to flooding.

If it weren't for that, I'd be building my new corp up and mining my little heart out right now instead of playing Star Trek Online and writing a really kick-ass backstory for an Augment who, after years of going unnoticed in Starfleet, has finally been found out (and must deal with his fellow officers feeling betrayed and scared) for my fleet's Starbase RP on Saturday. :D

Do what's fun for you, whatever that may be, and within reason.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2013, 21:39 »

Makkal, I feel you. I have to admit that the whole dynamic of the game has changed now that my spare time is precious. I still love fleeting and RPing with my Pyre bros, but when they're sleeping due to timezones there isn't much pulling me into Eve at the moment.

:(

Gesakaarin

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2013, 23:50 »

Right now I'm writing up drafts to create more offline RP via mail/forums for busy type people who have jobs. Tied into that is trying to build up Pyre Falcon into a well fleshed out fictional entity in its own right to hang arcs on to for the sole benefit of its own members and hopefully delivers some degree of story driven organizational RP for characters to interact as part of it.

Much of this because I realized trying to RP among the masses threatens to give me a full blown metastasized brain tumour due to sheer derp levels. I asked myself where I had the most enjoyable RP and to be honest it was in a small group where there's high levels of rapport and people actually recognize the need for some quality assurance.

Yeah, I guess what I'm aiming for is some kind of RP version of a small and cozy alley/basement bar that doesn't advertise itself but is in fact full of Caldari patriot hipsters being hip.

Then at least I can get drunk and just RP by pew pew'ing things without feeling guilty.  :lol:

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2013, 00:46 »

So many +1's.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:49 »

I started playing Sim3 again last night.

... wait, that doesn't answer the question, does it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2013, 08:48 »

I have stopped playing the game for one or two years now. I just log to speak with people, friends, or for RP.

Before that I had a time when I still played quite regularly, but I was mostly still ingame for RP too.

After one or 2 years on the game, which is already huge in itself, I started to get bored by the gameplay alone. RP was the only way to carry on.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2013, 09:37 »

I have stopped playing the game for one or two years now. I just log to speak with people, friends, or for RP.

Before that I had a time when I still played quite regularly, but I was mostly still ingame for RP too.

After one or 2 years on the game, which is already huge in itself, I started to get bored by the gameplay alone. RP was the only way to carry on.

Honestly, RP is the one thing that has kept me subbed as long as I have been, looking at my history.  Before that the next longest time period was talking shop with the Exploration crowd, but even that got stagnant.  You can only link Overseer effects and C-Type mods so long before it gets sort of meh.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2013, 15:44 »

* Ché Biko uses his smooth radio voice: "And this one goes out to Makkal."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fu6dABbfMg
-OOChé

Makoto Priano

« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2013, 18:16 »

Totally feel you. I've probably spent more time unsubbed than subbed with various characters since '03 or '04.

A few ideas:
* Find an enemy. Someone to hunt, or to harass, or to play against.
* Give yourself a challenge. Alright, so you've been flying with I-RED in gangs. What about leading a small gang? Or grabbing some RPers you like and haring off with them? Alliances or corps can structure play, but structure can be either stifling or liberating-- you need to know when it's which.
* Do it yourself. Whatever it is. Something difficult. Everything difficult. Right now, I've got a new capital-- so I'm trying to figure out how to do booster production. Those complexes in nullsec are difficult, and often deep in sov null.
* Don't be afraid to unsubscribe. But do follow the EVE news, or science fiction news, or read science fiction novels, or watch science fiction movies. Elysium? Oblivion? Not great, but they give me the itch.
* Read the old chronicles. The OLD ones. I reread Jovian Wet Grave the other day. The writing wasn't amazing-- probably written by an Icelander? --but it was engaging, and brought back ideas that we forget after having played. (What's it like to be in a sensory deprivation tank the first time? To accidentally swallow the goo? To worry about what happens if seawater gets in the implant ports while it's healing?)

Anywho. Hope things look up for you. Feel free to pester me for /emotes or pew.

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2013, 05:04 »

Became a pirate.

At more length, I was confronted with an IC decision that was perhaps 60:40, and I took the 40 because it was more interesting to me OOC.

Is it possible that you've become a little conservative? RPing with the same people all the time (which can be fine, but sometimes gets stale), unwilling to take IC risks or (particularly) make IC mistakes?

It's easy to do that - I've done it myself, many times. I get so close to the character that I hurt myself OOCly (in the sense of boredom, not in the sense of Trent Reznor) to prevent hurt to the character.

So, my advice is change things up, as Makoto suggests, get some new goals. Find the dissatisfaction within your character and focus in on it.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2013, 05:46 »

Anyone who's known me IC for a while will know that it's dangerous when I get bored.  Things go off the deep end.  Morwen's griped at me many a time for my version of 'making things interesting'.

Bottom line is really what Laria said.  If you're feeling unmotivated, unsatisfied, or other un-words, leap out of the box and start chewing concepts until one squeaks pleasingly.  Or something.  We've interacted in the past, but both played things pretty close to the chest, so I have no specific suggestions... but there are some lurking subtexts that I've seen that could be worth chasing up on and exploiting.
Pages: [1] 2 3