Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char's voluval mark is the "Track of the Wolf"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Character Creation Race-Locks  (Read 11996 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Character Creation Race-Locks
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jul 2011, 09:56 »

Minor detail, Louella. I don't particularely care WHERE I have to go, or WHAT I have to do, to get the appearance I wish for. I just care that the option to go get it, exists.

Having said that, traveling to the Republic or wherever, to get that specific brand of clothing or what-not done make sense, perhaps if this is implemented this is how it's done. Would not hurt, to be honest.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:03 »

Minor detail, Louella. I don't particularely care WHERE I have to go, or WHAT I have to do, to get the appearance I wish for. I just care that the option to go get it, exists.

Having said that, traveling to the Republic or wherever, to get that specific brand of clothing or what-not done make sense, perhaps if this is implemented this is how it's done. Would not hurt, to be honest.

That would be great if I actually thought CCP were going to do it.

But I suspect that they'll just dump everything into the NeX store.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:11 »

I am more frustrated at CCP Konflikt's response than anything else.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #18 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:13 »

Matari tattoos for non-Matari characters? No thanks.

Hairstyles? I don't care. Clothes? I don't care. Cultural artifacts like the Matari tattoos that play a major part of characterization, clan and tribe affiliation and history? Hell no. I wouldn't mind seeing other races get their own things my Matari can't get, but stay off my tattoos. It's horribad enough with all the interchangeability between the races and bloodlines as it is.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #19 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:15 »

Hairstyles? I don't care. Clothes? I don't care. Cultural artifacts like the Matari tattoos that play a major part of characterization, clan and tribe affiliation and history? Hell no. I wouldn't mind seeing other races get their own things my Matari can't get, but stay off my tattoos. It's horribad enough with all the interchangeability between the races and bloodlines as it is.

I'm going to continue pushing for this until I get an option to change bloodlines.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:19 »

You created a Gallente, Nikita. You can always create another Minmatar, but I agree that at least some things should be restricted to particular races.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:20 »

What if it opened additional Incarna options - like decking the Gallente upstart who does not know what those Tattoos mean?  ( Chron: Tattoos)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:45 »

And not being able to tell them apart is bad why?

people are people are people are people.

No, this is the politically-charged world of EVE, where race and bloodline is an important part of the story. CCP wants this racial distinction by default.

Doesn't matter that you can find Caldari in the Federation. CCP is going for a "catch-all" approach. 90% of Caldari are going to be in the State, for example. If Minmatar tattoos became available for Amarrians, then we'd suddenly have a bunch of Amarrians wearing Minmatar tattoos even though it makes no sense.

CCP will not sacrifice what they have set out as their immersion standard for 2% of people.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #23 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:53 »

Im just gonna go out and say this:

There are too few playable races.

The potential is there for a 4th, perhaps more.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2011, 10:57 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #24 on: 09 Jul 2011, 10:56 »

The previous post basically indicates that the lack of interractial customisability indicates a symptomatic problem. In all honesty, you can tell a True Amarr from a mile off, clothes or not. The same with Sebiestors, Ni-Kunni, Gallenteans (who are supposed to be the most varied), basically all the races are too constrained in both clothing and general looks.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 09 Jul 2011, 11:06 »

Cultural artifacts like the Matari tattoos that play a major part of characterization, clan and tribe affiliation and history? Hell no.

You created a Gallente, Nikita. You can always create another Minmatar, but I agree that at least some things should be restricted to particular races.

Derp.

Tattoo:

Quote from: Tattoo
Indeed, it is not uncommon to see young Gallente teenagers sporting tribal and gang motifs lifted from their Minmatar peers, symbols of whose true meaning they have little to no knowledge. This can evoke anything between high derision and outright hostility when those so inked encounter true Minmatar.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jul 2011, 11:33 »

So people in-universe don't like it either. This doesn't actually cause any problems with our perspective. (And Miz and I were both well aware of that bit, as we've referenced it many times before.)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jul 2011, 11:57 »

Im just gonna go out and say this:

There are too few playable races.

The potential is there for a 4th, perhaps more.

I know quite a lot of hardcore Amarr players want Ealurians to abuse, and there's also the Minmatar old guard, for whom the Krusual Tribe are a bit of a running joke ("Help, I'm stuck at the gate"). Gallenteans have the Mannar. There was also a bloodline mentioned in exactly one piece of fiction (The Spirit of Crielere) called the "Jitai", who have exactly one half-sentence of characterisation in the whole of EVE PF. They were described as "materialistic". They're supposedly a Gallentean bloodline, but... Jitai? Materialistic? Sounds like a possible Caldari fourth bloodline to me...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #28 on: 09 Jul 2011, 11:58 »

Let's take another analogy.

From the Caldari tattoos, we can see that they are not a culture big into tattooing beyond a minimalist level, as this represents individualistic self-expression, something generally not exercised in the State.

So why then, will a Caldari be found wearing Minmatar or Amarr tattoos? Forget about our little RP community here...90% of players aren't going to be totally aware of such little elements of PF. They might have absolutely no connection to Minmatar either, and regularly mission against them. Yet, they might be wearing a Minmatar tattoo.

Take a Minmatar played by a non-RPer who has his ancestry as "Tribal Traditionalist", yet is wearing Amarr tattoos, or maybe even the Amarr robe with the hood. How does this make sense at all?

CCP believes this will break immersion.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2011, 12:02 by Seriphyn »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #29 on: 09 Jul 2011, 11:59 »

What if it opened additional Incarna options - like decking the Gallente upstart who does not know what those Tattoos mean?  ( Chron: Tattoos)

This would be pretty hilarious. Even though I think we were told we weren't going to have combat in Incarna/WiS? Did that change?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7