Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Information Leak / I-RED Disclaimer.  (Read 11091 times)

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
Information Leak / I-RED Disclaimer.
« on: 24 May 2011, 03:39 »

http://www.arcadianewsnetwork.net/2011/05/23/major-ired-leak-comes-to-light/

Funny stuff, have fun people. Btw I would like it if OOC shit stayed OOC (To not derail RP, if this is impossible well meh. its all I ask.). Take what IC material you can out of it all you want. (Such as John talking to Nikita, trying to make a contract for a RP event with LDIS that fell through for a Intaki mock conflict.)

One of the spies has been kicked. Props to Ben/Anshar/everyone else involved. I am interested to see the fallout on my IC character assassination this time.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 04:45 by John Revenent »

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
Re: Information Leak / I-RED Disclaimer.
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2011, 04:49 »

I'm sorry to see the relatively poor presentation of the material John. By which I mean there is ooc material mixed in with ic material and it seems to be another example of the blurring of ic/ooc lines in RP wars that weakens the general suspension of disbelief and fun.

I do wish the spies and infiltrators on this occasion had taken the time to choose between ic/ooc leaks rather than making use of a whole "and the kitchen sink" approach including voice coms information, killboard posting passwords and other obviously ooc resources.

With a little more effort (and class) its possible to make even infiltration and spying a valid RP approach but I do think this example is a bad one - its just a shotgun approach to smearing a Roleplay alliance by posting all their ic/ooc/misc details on the IGS and I'm not that impressed.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2011, 05:12 »

Dealt with here by John with class, as always.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2011, 05:15 »

I could state that I am 'unimpressed' by this act, but that would be an understatement.

IC character assassination can be fun, if done right, but this is a thinly-veiled-as-RP, fully blown ooc smear job alĂ  the BoB vs ASCN wars and the character assassinations of CYVOK and John McCreedy. It was utterly tasteless then, it's not any better now.

The shaite attempt to run this off as IC is absurd. IMHO this should be contained asap and the one's hosting the accessable materials should take it down or put it off-limits ot the public instantly, then offer to John and the I-RED alliance the sincere appology they deserve.

And we are all supposed ot be adult, rational players here. Hah.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2011, 05:17 »

I could state that I am 'unimpressed' by this act, but that would be an understatement.

Bare in mind I was trying hard to stay within Backstage rules :)

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2011, 05:24 »

I just checked, and published everything I received. I have no intention of using the information published to my own ends. I'm not going to blur the OOC/IC line, and I don't think you really need to ask people not to. If people mix the two up in arguments/fights/whatever because of this, you should probably just rise above it and ignore them or something.

And we are all supposed ot be adult, rational players here. Hah.

So there shouldn't really be an issue then, should there?

Oh, and I think you may have kicked the wrong person, given the rather upset EVEmail I received early this morning.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 05:26 by Milo Caman »

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2011, 05:31 »

I just checked, and published everything I received. I have no intention of using the information published to my own ends. I'm not going to blur the OOC/IC line, and I don't think you really need to ask people not to.

I think providing a link on IGS to an info dump where you definitively mix ic and ooc evemails/admin details up to and including vent information and killboard posting killboards is the very definition of "blurring" the OOC/IC line.

In my opinion this is a bit poor. And I think you should consider the road where this leads.

Last year SF suffered an attack of this kind where an infilitrator gave out our voice details and killboard admistration data. We had a couple of crazy days with people using this stuff to impersonate our members and directors and spamming the resources to damage our organizational integrity. We considered it beyond the pale for respectful RP interaction.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2011, 05:32 »

There is a blanket ban on AI IGS posting at the moment, the 'announcement' or whatever it was, wasn't mine, and wasn't sanctioned by me. There was no intention to announce this on the IGS for the OOC/IC Blurring reasons mentioned.

John Revenent

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2011, 05:41 »

Oh, and I think you may have kicked the wrong person, given the rather upset EVEmail I received early this morning.

Really?? I just kicked them what 20 min before DT? They have not been on since... hmm.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2011, 05:44 »

Well, I received an upset EVEMail. EVEGate?
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 05:46 by Milo Caman »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2011, 05:47 »

Last year SF suffered an attack of this kind where an infilitrator gave out our voice details and killboard admistration data. We had a couple of crazy days with people using this stuff to impersonate our members and directors and spamming the resources to damage our organizational integrity. We considered it beyond the pale for respectful RP interaction.

A lot of RP organisations (including my own) have a policy against using information that we consider to be OOC (forum logins, Vent passwords) or that has been gained by what we consider to be OOC means (infiltration alts). I understand that for a lot of people, including RPers, this is part of the metagaming fun of EVE, but for us it's a lot less fun than using our characters to ICly gain trust and information.

Of course, we're aware this doesn't give us immunity from others using the same means against us, both RPers and non-RPers, and take the usual precautions.

I'm aware that ICly I should probably read that material, filter out the OOC, so Cia(c) can be informed, but my overwhelming feeling of 'meh' prevents me.

As Mammal said, kudos for handling it with class.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

John Revenent

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2011, 05:47 »

Right, well my point is in place and thats all I need. (First person she evemails is Milo, and doesn't respond to my mail first heh)
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 05:51 by John Revenent »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2011, 05:53 »

Haven't really read through the material in question, but what makes voice comms and killboards OoC?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2011, 05:55 »

Haven't really read through the material in question, but what makes voice comms and killboards OoC?

Preference and personal/organizational standards.

John Revenent

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2011, 06:01 »

I dont want a drama threadnaught please, just making sure people do not mix up my OOC personality with my IC one. Thats all.

The crap about my Real Life being in the public yet again is shitty yes but I will have to deal with it.. It is a game, I deal with it like a game as should everyone else. Though I would ask that ANN be decent as I know you all are human beings... for a removal of my Real Life happenings from the data dump please, the bankrupt Net Cafe, me going to farm life ect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7