Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Firing a salvo  (Read 11408 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: Firing a salvo
« Reply #30 on: 07 Nov 2010, 17:29 »

Except. . . it's entirely possible for you to own slaves?

You might call that splitting hairs, but in every case, every case, it holds true.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #31 on: 07 Nov 2010, 17:38 »

There's plenty of props, Soter... for such roleplaying. When there isn't, there is the imagination to fill in the blanks.

Everything that constitutes as 'roleplaying' doesn't have a mechanic attached to it. Or else, there would be far less roleplay in the past then there is now... but, in the last ten years comparing Ultima Online to today's MMO's, it is in the reverse. As graphics and more realistic enviroments become prevailent, many of us seem to lose grasp as what makes roleplaying the way it does. And why paper and pencil games brought so many together.

And finally, Soter. It works both ways: if capsuleer profiles have be all validated by physical mechanics, and emotes and acting mean nothing... then would that make all your character's fanatical rallying invalid as well.

There were no dropships in the overview.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 07 Nov 2010, 17:57 »

The dropships on overview is analogous to the market issue. Because we don't see toothpaste on the market, means there's no dental hygiene in Eve Online universe. We all have wooden teeth!

Needless to say. The Sansha Slaves say there are dropships. As do the other NPC's. And my character doesn't use wooden dentures. Certain allowances are given for limitations on implementable game features.

The issue at hand, here, however, is that there are physical capabilities a capsuleer has, mainly from the legal status and monetary worth. Some folks roleplay cybernetic augmentation to increase these physical capabilities. The capsuleer also flies spaceships, which extends their abilities to intestellar combat and commerce.

Fun fact. You cannot roleplay more skillpoints or starship assets than you actually own.

Abstracting this further. You create a character in Eve Online. This character is, factually, a capsuleer. When you click through the character creation process, there's no option for 'non-capsuleer'.

The Devs, acting as DM for the game, have the ability to make characters with realistic corporate histories for their NPC's. This enables them to generate honest-to-goodness non-capsuleers, or capsuleer NPC military commanders, for the live events or other storylines. They don't use a character creation process that affirmatively assigns the role of 'capsuleer' to the character.

Thus, we're left with a simple truth. The characters behind the political parties are capsuleers. Now, are they sitting Senators? or are they simply capsuleer supporters of those parties? As the initial thread indicates, they are allegedly explicit political operatives working on behalf of significant Senate parties.

That creates a paradox that cannot be resolved in character. It breaks immersion.

Unless, of course, you call them frauds in character, as a form of roleplay to isolate a possible breach in security protocol or an effort by a hostile faction to false-flag incite strife and struggle.

That in no way is saying the roleplay is wrong. But it merely might not be the kind of roleplay the creators of these characters might expect.

And who can judge then?
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2010, 18:04 by Julianus Soter »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #33 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:05 »

Ah, I guess Anette Inhonores and Camille Roth are capsuleers then...

Why can't we create characters that aren't capsuleers? I want to be able to include people in RPing with Anette as an independent character, so what can I do?  :s

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #34 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:08 »

Hmm, this thread seems to have diverged quite a bit from the OP.  Anyway, I just checked out the IGS thread and thought it was pretty neat (even if I'm not sure how to interact with it) until it became a 'your rp is wrong' party.  Can't pretend it's anything but after the 13th post or so.  What a shame.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:10 »

Please clarify any accusations you have against my in character posts, please, so we can discuss them in detail.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #36 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:16 »

Jules, folks can see the same corp details and "pilot" bios that you can in the client.  But a lot of them seemed to choose to interact with this person/people cooperatively (OOC) to include Saxon, Seri, Istvaan, etc.  Not young or uninvolved characters by any means.  You chose to be uncooperative and I think that train wrecks otherwise amusing RP.  That's about as much detail as I have time for, sorry.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:19 »

I don't quite follow you, I'm sorry. How precisely was I supposed to know this was a pre-arranged OOC matter?

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #38 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:20 »

I don't quite follow you, I'm sorry. How precisely was I supposed to know this was a pre-arranged OOC matter?

I didn't know that.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #39 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:23 »

I don't believe it was from what Saxon has said.  Nobody knows who's running it or they aren't saying if they do.  So most (if not all) of the OOC-cooperative RP with these guys has been done in good faith.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:27 »

And. . . why exactly should I submit my character's IC responses and behaviors to this? He's a very active pilot with a Federation background. Should not he be able to speak up about these kinds of things, to voice these kinds of concerns? What is wrong with my roleplay?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:30 »

The primary issue is that even though the comments of fraud and invalidity is in-character, they are being mirrored here, out-of-character as well. The IC comments thus seem more of an exercise of your OOC feelings here.

I believe if one dislikes a particular RP, in terms of personal fictional tastes or validity, then one should just ignore it. It is the IGS after all.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:32 »

So. . . because a person feels the same thing that the character feels in character, the incharacter response is invalid?

Someone better call up Vikarion!

Also, doesn't that qualify as 'ur RP iz wrong'?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #43 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:37 »

I don't think we can make progress here, and I'm not going to be baited into a longer circular discussion on this.  Came to say what I wanted to say and this will be my last post in this thread.  Never played in your end of the sandbox before, Jules, (oh except for that craziness in Maut couple months back, which was admittedly quite amusing in retrospect) but this is the sort of nitpicking of good stuff for the wrong reasons that makes me want to take my toys and play elsewhere.

As Seri just said, ignoring it is a far more agreeable choice than pooh-poohing something that otherwise hadn't affected you at all.  I can't remember how long I've been ignoring stuff like Jade's WoT threads or any of the Providence back and forth, but if I had to put a number on it I'd say since about day 2 or 3 of playing the game.

Let's just agree to disagree?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 07 Nov 2010, 18:41 »

Reasonable enough, I suppose I/we could easily just as well ignore Soter's post as much as we say he should ignore ours, right?  :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6