Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Firing a salvo  (Read 11407 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Firing a salvo
« Reply #15 on: 07 Nov 2010, 13:16 »

These "talking heads" have not killed roleplay at all. In fact, there's a lot of it going on right now. RP has been encouraged. The only thing that kills RP, and what kills RP very quickly, is when people discredit and attempt to invalidate the RP altogether. While you might have an example where your point will stand up, so far, I don't see any dead RP because of people taking liberties with PF. I, and everyone else, see revived RP.

No one else seems to think its "nonsense". Well, really, if we want to go by pure mechanics, all RP is nonsense, if one doesn't use their imagination.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 07 Nov 2010, 13:22 »

Yes, RP has been encouraged. In this case, it is causing me to do RP calling these people frauds. Or perhaps my roleplay isn't good enough? :P

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #17 on: 07 Nov 2010, 13:41 »

I am inclined to agree with Seri on this one. Waiting for little nuggets of RP leads from CCP is frustrating at best. That's why I have taken the tack I have in developing the backstories of the Intaki colonies. (Which I am happy to see these newcomers have picked up on.)

I don't think its a matter of Jule's RP not being good enough. It just seems that the majority of the community is willing to play along and give these politicos room to explore their take on things before simply dismissing them.

Also, ANN has covered their presence, which gives them some legitimacy in terms of people who look to ANN as an in-character news source.

I should also note that other than these posts on the IGS I have had no contact with the politicians and I have no idea who they are IRL.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 Nov 2010, 13:47 »

it's not a matter of waiting with open mouths for CCP to pour your RP into your gullets like a mother bird feeding your young. . .

We -can- roleplay. We just do it as capsuleers. With each other. Doing things with spaceships and factories and weapons and markets.

In general, trying to whip up some kind of political foil with a faction's governmental system, besides that's what's already given or currently underway as part of the live events, is doomed to failure.

There's a vast assortment of available roleplay out there. You should look at it from the perspective of your characters, rather than your players.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #19 on: 07 Nov 2010, 13:52 »

Yes, RP has been encouraged. In this case, it is causing me to do RP calling these people frauds. Or perhaps my roleplay isn't good enough? :P

IC perspective:
Ironically, if Inara were in the mood to speak publically, she'd be agreeing with Soter here (gah, my fingers itch just from typing that :P). They're doing nothing productive aside from stirring up people about things that those same people can do nothing about.

Figureheads that are 'useless' are one of the things that annoys Inara quite a bit. She's of the opinion that everyone should have a purpose, and sitting around flapping their gums trying to prove each other right isn't very productive. Especially when it's in relation to a corrupt governmental system that answers to a higher, even more corrupt governmental system (CONCORD).

OOC perspective:
The secession of Intaki from the Federation... that's something that actually effects capsuleers. If they managed to pull it off (honest: good luck), that should cause a change in the FW dynamics (as well as a few others, more than likely) in that area. I approve of the original idea of the post, Capsuleers leading for a change in policy/leadership; it's the other additional 'crap' that I don't see as necessary (and possibly detrimental).

The only way the election within the Federation effects Capsuleers on any relevant level would be if there's a candidate that wants to flip the bird to CONCORD and pull out of the Yulai Treaties, or if there's one that is willing to sit down and discuss peaceful terms with the State to end the farce of a war, or finally if there's a candidate that wants to ignore the restrictions of the proxy war and invade all-out.

What purpose do bobbly-head dolls serve on IGS? That's my main concern; they talk about politics, they talk about the Feddies, they talk and they talk and they talk... but what do they do for RP? How do they enrich the community?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 07 Nov 2010, 14:07 »

Calling other characters' actions or RP fraudulent and invalid, even if in-character, is often not seen as RP, but merely the player OOC going "ur doin it wrong" or "This RP is not happening". Despite being coated as IC, OOC it may as well have the player telling the other player their RP is incorrect.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 07 Nov 2010, 14:09 »

There -must- be an in character defense for it. If there's not, then it's not my problem is it? :P

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #22 on: 07 Nov 2010, 14:16 »

I think people will be surprised how receptive CCP can be on stuff like this.

Mind you with most resources tied up in the Sansha arc, it will probably be put on the back burner.

Anyway, good to see these Federal party leaders showing up, tempted to give them my own approval some how.

Scandalous controversy.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #23 on: 07 Nov 2010, 14:26 »

Calling other characters' actions or RP fraudulent and invalid, even if in-character, is often not seen as RP, but merely the player OOC going "ur doin it wrong" or "This RP is not happening". Despite being coated as IC, OOC it may as well have the player telling the other player their RP is incorrect.

Umm.. I'm curious on this. I've called many people 'frauds' or 'useless' IC, but OOC there's absolutely nothing wrong with them or what they're doing. If Inara's telling someone "ur doin it wrong", it's my character telling the other character that; not me telling the other player.

Example of this: Inara considers most FW people to be utterly useless pawns being manipulated by mass media because they are mindless drones being led around by a ring in their nose. OOC, I know that most of them are there just to blow shit up, and I'm okay with that. And, I know they have a 'role' to play in the FW theater (FW needs those mindless drones).

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #24 on: 07 Nov 2010, 14:49 »

My question is this:

If you see others having a good time role playing and you know out of character that they enjoy what they are doing, why would you feel the need to not once, but twice, shit on what they are doing?

We get it, Jules, you don't like it. Now, kindly please stop stomping your feet and let the rest of us play.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 07 Nov 2010, 15:56 »

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Especially if you put it up on a massively public interstellar discussion forum. >_>

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #26 on: 07 Nov 2010, 16:19 »

And what was a fun argument on how the Intaki interact with and view the Federation, something that plays directly to in-character and, to an extent, in-space relations between several Intaki groups, turn into another ping-pong match about whether or not something is legitimate.

That's, honestly, expected.  Yet still disappointing.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #27 on: 07 Nov 2010, 16:51 »

[mod]You've already been warned by a moderator about 'ur RP is wrong'. It's against the rules, don't do it.In addition to that, accusing other players of using alts and strawmen in order to 'win' the argument is also outside the guidelines. Please refrain from posting if you can't follow the rules.[/mod]

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 07 Nov 2010, 17:27 »

So, a Gedankenexperiment here. Player A creates a "Spokesman for the President" character, with corporation "Press Secretary of the President". Player A then uses this character to say things.

This sounds like a fabulous idea to me.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 07 Nov 2010, 17:27 »

Umm.. I'm curious on this. I've called many people 'frauds' or 'useless' IC, but OOC there's absolutely nothing wrong with them or what they're doing. If Inara's telling someone "ur doin it wrong", it's my character telling the other character that; not me telling the other player.

Example of this: Inara considers most FW people to be utterly useless pawns being manipulated by mass media because they are mindless drones being led around by a ring in their nose. OOC, I know that most of them are there just to blow shit up, and I'm okay with that. And, I know they have a 'role' to play in the FW theater (FW needs those mindless drones).

Nah, not what I meant.

More like if I stated I was a State citizen, and then some other RPer said "No you're not a State citizen because State is for Caldari and Achur only!". Or if someone claims to have an estate of slaves and people say "No you don't!".

Nothing to do with being called a fraud or useless, but having your RP called "wrong" through an IC fashion. Example...

A: "I have 500 slaves, and am using them for the glory of God!"
B: "You evil person! You're just a useless pawn for the Empire!"

versus

A: "I have 500 slaves, and am using them for the glory of God!"
B: "No you don't. It's not possible for you to have slaves"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6