Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ammatars regard themselves as the true rulers of the Minmatars? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: House of Heidrich  (Read 4512 times)

Gervas Heidrich

Re: House of Heidrich
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2013, 15:51 »

Here's a rough draft of the house. I highly encourage comments, suggestions and criticism. Keeping in mind the relatively small and unknown nature of the house, there isn't going to be much in the way of history.

House of Heidrich

The House of Heidrich is a common house that rooted itself in the Tash-Murkon region nearly 45 years ago. Unlike most houses, the Heidrich Family owns no land on any of the planets within the region. Instead, they have operated solely out of space opting to keep their assets fluid for ease of mobility. Over the years, the house became known by the local populace for it's small time mining operations within the region providing a small percentage of the ore required by its industrial sector. The family has always been very private about both their lives and history, so little is known by the locals about where they originated or who they were prior to their arrival. What is currently known thus far is a woman by the name of Alexis Heidrich is the current head of the house residing with her husband, Gervas Heidrich, who is charged with the daily oversight of all industrial operations. Their fleet currently consists of five ships manned primarily by approximately 107 slaves of varying nationalities. The household ideals are a hybrid mix of the Kor-Azor and Sarum Families in that the house believes in eventual expansion of their territory, but not to such an extent that military force is necessarily required to accomplish that goal. Their total reported net worth to the Amarrian crown was listed at approximately 1.8 billion ISK.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2013, 18:34 »

The house is officially incorporated if anyone is interested in starting interactions with the house.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2013, 19:21 »

I like all you've been saying and the description, and actually look forward to RPing with you. Seems like a very interesting project! :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:07 »

Just a quick question - is the fleet you refer to your own (capsuleer) vessels, or something else?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:44 »

The ships my capsuleers own.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:22 »

Since I've developed and RP'ed noble houses in other RP universes, and have done quite a bit of reading into Imperial nobility, going to offer a few thoughts and suggestions for you, Gervas. :) You might already know this stuff, especially if you've already read the Holder article on EVElopedia, but figured I'd offer the advice anyway just in-case. :)

First thing is: You've chosen a bit of an unconventional Holding, I noticed. Holdings are typically based on land ownership, though land ownership does not mean just planets--it also refers to celestial bodies. You've mentioned mining in your overview, so I'm assuming your bit of space includes asteroid belts and mining colonies, along with any customs stations and other space stations used to administer those, correct? Also, keep in mind that Holdings are often named after their Holder, so your little area of space would probably be called Heidrich unless it was once owned by a previous Holder House, in which case it may have the former Holder House's name.

Secondly, keep in mind that Holders, like noble lords in RL feudalism, exist because their lieges wanted them to exist. Every Holder is a vassal to a greater Holder. Before they became a Holder family, they would have had to have proven themselves, and sworn allegiance to, that greater Holder, whom, upon recognizing the merit or worth of the family, deigned to grant them governorship of one of their own Holdings (whether an already existing one whose Holdership has somehow become empty, or through redefinition of borders in order to create a new Holding). So consider your family's relation to their liege.

Next, be aware that there is only one single titled Holder per noble House. The title of Holder refers specifically to the titled Holder governing a Holding. Every other member of the House is what is called "non-titled nobility". They are nobles, but they are not referred to as Holders. Therefore, the only person in House Heidrich whom would be a Holder, would be Alexis Heidrich. Gervas would not be a Holder. In everyday speech, Alexis would be addressed as "Lady Heidrich", while for official announcements at formal proceedings she would likely be styled "The Right Honourable The Holder Heidrich", or simply "The Holder Heidrich" (these styles were used in a recent news report, though sadly due to the reorganization of the EVE Online website, I can't link it atm until they reopen the archive for the individual empire news articles). Gervas would probably be able to be addressed as Lord Heidrich, carrying the Lord preface as a courtesy style (as he is not an actual Holder himself) due to being the husband of a Holder.

Any children the two possess, along with any relatives, would not be referred to as Lord or Lady. Even the heir to the House is not a Holder and would not be referred to as Lord or Lady, unless House Heidrich has a lesser Holding that it can grant to that heir (thus granting a minor Holder title out of courtesy). From how you've described the House, this doesn't seem to be the case, so only Alexis and Gervas would carry the styles Lady and Lord, and only Alexis would carry the title of Holder.

One thing to keep in mind are what I refer to as Custodians. These are members of your Holding, such as the Holder's relatives or favored officials, who have been granted a Custodial Servitude Contract. A Custodial Servitude Contract grants the contractee direct management over some of the House's slaves. Custodians don't actually own slaves, rather they are granted them as courtesy. Only Alexis would be a slave owner, while Gervas would have to be a Custodian (unless he goes with ownership of slaves through the SCC by merit of his capsuleer status, which is typically very disrespected by other Holders but is possible if you want him to be able to actually own his own slaves rather than simply being a Custodian over a few of his wife's slaves). Their children would probably be Custodians as well, along with perhaps a few close siblings and/or favored officials.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 06:32 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2013, 04:56 »

Now that I am reading this I wonder if we ever had anything in PF about the succession rules for Holdership, like if it is obligatory primogeniture or not, like if it is cognatic or not, or like if it is just by the decision of the Holder himself/herself. And if that varies or not depending on the various places around the Empire.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2013, 05:06 »

Now that I am reading this I wonder if we ever had anything in PF about the succession rules for Holdership, like if it is obligatory primogeniture or not, like if it is cognatic or not, or like if it is just by the decision of the Holder himself/herself. And if that varies or not depending on the various places around the Empire.

The Holder article mentions "designated heir", and "naming" heirs. This was very apparent with the Sarum Family, since Jamyl "died" without naming an heir, and thus forced the House's elders to pick one. Also, when Doriam II became Emperor, he specifically named Aritcio, who is described as his favored son, as Heir.

Tash-Murkon offers the greatest example of refusing primogeniture, however, as Catiz was the youngest child of Davit.

"Catiz Tash-Murkon, the youngest child of the late Davit Tash-Murkon, is the leader of the Tash-Murkon royal house, and the most wealthy person in the Empire.

It came as little surprise when Davit named her as his heir."
- Catiz Tash-Murkon, EVElopedia

On the other hand, Ardishapur's EVElopedia article mentions this:

"As the first son of the powerful heir, Yonis was groomed to take over for his father." - Yonis Ardishapur, EVElopedia

It may or may not be obligatory, depending on the House. Primogeniture might be more traditional, but does not seem to be required. House Ardishapur seems to be the only House that follows it amongst the royal families.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 06:06 by Samira Kernher »

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2013, 08:35 »

Samira offered a good answer. I will state that "being groomed" to takeover doesn't mean you will, it simply means that it is the natural order in the Empire for the firstborn to begin being trained to take over. The Holder can easily designate another Heir Presumptive and there have been many examples of this in Imperial history.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #25 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:03 »

First thing first - Samira, thank you for all of that wonderful information on the finer points of Holdership. That'll help me a great deal in the development of the house.

Secondly, I retracted the original plan to turn the house into a house of minor nobility and decided to make it a "common" house with no real influence of any sort until later on. But that was probably confused with the statement I made in the description pointing to the implication of having made the decision not to own land which, by definition from Samira's information, wasn't even possible to begin with unless you were a titled noble house. I'll be fixing that in the actual in-game corp description next time I log in. At some point in time, though, it is my intention to earn the house the ability to be considered some type of a Holder house. Under what circumstances that'll end up being I haven't decided yet. But I hope my interaction with the role playing community will help to shape that.

[mod]*snip* - Removed last paragraph referring to the excised "the name is nazi point" discussion. ~Morwen[/mod]
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013, 10:38 by Morwen Lagann »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:17 »

First thing first - Samira, thank you for all of that wonderful information on the finer points of Holdership. That'll help me a great deal in the development of the house.

You're welcome. :)

Secondly, I retracted the original plan to turn the house into a house of minor nobility and decided to make it a "common" house with no real influence of any sort until later on. But that was probably confused with the statement I made in the description pointing to the implication of having made the decision not to own land which, by definition from Samira's information, wasn't even possible to begin with unless you were a titled noble house. I'll be fixing that in the actual in-game corp description next time I log in. At some point in time, though, it is my intention to earn the house the ability to be considered some type of a Holder house. Under what circumstances that'll end up being I haven't decided yet. But I hope my interaction with the role playing community will help to shape that.

Ah, I see. I didn't notice the retraction. The use of the "House of Heidrich", and the phrasing of it as a House (in capital letters) made me assume it was a minor Holdership. I figured by 'common house', you meant that it was just a minor House rather than an actual commoner family.

But yeah, as a commoner house you wouldn't own any land. Holders own all the land (or more appropriate, govern the land given to them by their superiors), commoners themselves don't own any. They more or less lease it from the Holders--occupying it rather than owning it.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 10:28 by Samira Kernher »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2013, 15:01 »

Get in PIE Alliance nao, kay?

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2013, 16:46 »

Get in PIE Alliance nao, kay?

Is that an official invitation? The alliance description says it's not taking anyone.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2013, 17:03 »

Nah, not official. You can always look into it though. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3